The real cost of those Black Friday deals

By Caitlin Kelly
November 24, 2011

By Caitlin Kelly
The opinions expressed are her own.

Americans shop. It’s what we do. It’s who we are. We’re still an economy powered by consumer spending – 70 percent of it, in fact. It’s an article of faith, for some, that annual Thanksgiving celebrations not only include turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce, but lining up in the cold and dark at their favorite store to snag a Black Friday bargain.

Maybe not this year.

Spurred perhaps by the growing national strength of the Occupy Wall Street movement, two emboldened Target workers, Anthony Hardwick, of Omaha, NE and Seth Coleman, a dockworker from Northfield, MN have collected 180,000 signatures protesting their employer’s unprecedented decision to open their stores to shoppers at midnight. Coleman delivered a bag of signatures gathered on-line to Target headquarters in Minneapolis earlier this week.

Coleman will be working at the Target store in Northfield on Thanksgiving Day, from 4 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Then he’ll return 12 hours later, to make sure the shelves are stocked for the company’s first ever midnight opening for the Christmas rush, reported Minnesota Public Radio.

There is also some talk of retail workers taking a sick-out to protest retailers’ demands that they leave their own holiday meals in order to be work by midnight or earlier.

Retailers routinely excuse their escalating demands, such as this year’s ever-earlier Black Friday store openings, because their competitors are doing it. They’ll lose business, they argue, if they don’t follow the herd. Retailers defend all corporate decisions — no matter how detrimental they may be to their indispensible low-wage workers or how unpopular they may be with shoppers newly sensitized to the needs of the 99 percent. Retailers claim it’s alright because they have to protect shareholders’ interests by keeping profits high and hitting their quarterly projections.

But are American shoppers truly comfortable with the real price of these putative bargains? Is any sale item really worth knowing that your friends and neighbors, children and grandchildren working in retail, are toiling long, grueling hours for pennies?

Do you really want to drag them away from their own holiday tables to sell you one more item a little more cheaply?

Retail is an almost $4 trillion industry. It’s the nation’s third-largest, and it’s the country’s largest source of new jobs in an economy where many employers, even those sitting on record corporate profits, still refuse to hire.

But what’s the value of these jobs?

The median retail wage in 2010 was $8.90 for a cashier and $9.86 for a sales associate – down from $9.50 an hour in 2006, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. More than three-quarters of retail workers are older than 25, contradicting the popular belief that only teens living at home work retail for a little extra pocket money.

One-third of all retail workers are the sole income for their families, working for poverty-level wages. Many of them want to work full-time, but retail employers, who clearly have the upper hand in an era with few other available jobs, consistently and increasingly offer them only part-time positions without benefits. Part-time workers earn a third less than those employed full-time, despite the physical and emotional labor — and the skills and product knowledge that retail work requires — being identical.

With wages remaining so low, many full-time retail workers need food stamps to boost their incomes. In New York, those in support of higher wages joined a rally Monday evening — some 2,000 strong — to fight for the Fair Wages for New Yorkers Act, which would require all developers receiving government tax breaks to impose a minimum wage on the retail tenants of their stadiums, malls or conference centers, requiring them to pay $10 per hour with benefits and $11.50 per hour without.

In 2008, another crowd of 2,000 people gathered outside a WalMart in Valley Stream, NY. They’d been massing since midnight for a Black Friday sale, and by the time the doors were opened at 5:00 a.m., tempers had frayed. As shoppers literally stampeded in, they trampled a 34-year-old employee, Jdimytai Damour, to death.

We all want a bargain. But let’s all keep some sense of our values as well.

Photo: A view of a Wal-Mart.com store at the Topanga Plaza in Canoga Park, California, November 8, 2011. Two tiny Walmart.com stores are making Southern California malls their home for the holidays, launching the latest salvo in the war for online retail dominance. REUTERS/Fred Prouser

Therefore all of this talk about replacing income taxes with sales taxes is nothing more than placing the tax burden on the backs of low wage people.

Posted by urbblurb | Report as abusive

Recognising these issues, I decided some time ago that I would rather visit restaurants less frequently and pay more generous tips (according to service quality of course). Generally speaking I would rather pay marginally more for less, if I know that this means a better quality-of-life for the people serving me, and better support for well-educated & responsible workers.

I never work Sabbath or night shifts, and deliberately seek out ethical suppliers that allow their employees to follow similar standards compatible with family life.

Posted by matthewslyman | Report as abusive

This is the same argument trotted out decades ago when 7-11 opened stores on Sunday, and then grocery stores and drug stores. Today, only liquor stores in some states are intimidated from selling to their customers on Sundays.

The old “blue laws” allowed the religious to impose their will on one and all. I can remember feeling a sense of outrage when I was off on Sunday but couldn’t do my shopping on MY time if I wanted to.

On any day for there to be commerce there must be a willing seller and a willing buyer. When religion or government or unions or any “special interest” try to interfere with freedom of commerce, they assault the personal freedom of individual Americans.

If they choose to not work these days, or not buy these days, that is their right. If they choose to assemble so as to block me from my freedom to work or buy, they may suddenly experience my shopping cart seeking entrance where the sun never shines. Impersonally, of course.

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

The argument is about drawing the line on profit over family. I draw it here. I choose to not support companies that have their employees work (unnecessarily) on two days out of the year. Come on, just two days.

Posted by Oldsuperdave | Report as abusive

Freedom of commerce coming through, everyone out of the way please. Please clear a path for the corporations, the bankers, the money makers, their enablers, the crooks. Give them room, give their “special interests” a pass, give them whatever they want.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2011/08/ what-special-interests-are-bankrolling.h tml

Freedom and Democracy to the highest bidders. Money is speech after all. It’s commerce folks, just business, don’t take it personal. Personal responsibility for the common person, different set of ethics and morals for commerce and its captains.

Posted by TheUSofA | Report as abusive

It will take a lot more than a Black Friday protest and some petitions to end the misery of retail work. It will take unionization and nationwide strikes. Weapons that American workers are, as yet, unwilling to wield.

Posted by MaraZinia | Report as abusive

We don’t quite know where we come down on the working holidays issue. We’ve done it ourselves many times in different fields and agree with Ms Kelly that it’s not much fun and hard on the family.

Re retail jobs in general, we’re not that much different from a lot of developing countries that depend on retail to provide meager income for a substantial swath of the population. Places like the Philippines and India (the latter until just this week) make it very hard for foreign retailers to enter because millions (and many millions in India’s case) of their citizens would have to shut their small retail businesses if international retailers came in.

It’s perhaps not equitable, but it’s life in many places around the world. Americans can move, both physically and educationally if they’re not satisfied with their station in life. We complain from time to time and don’t begrudge anyone else who does, but making a change is a better option in the long-run.

Posted by WeWereWallSt | Report as abusive

It is indeed a “herd mentality” from the retailers and not only. I spoke with restaurants owners – if they shrink the plate (platter for a very long time) and the humongous quantities of food, they fear they will lose the clients who want more for less. Despite the eternal call for “thinking out of the box”, they all think like a herd. I am sure that many (if not most) people would like to benefit of the Black Friday savings at 10 AM or noon, and not stay in line at midnight. Catering to a niche might be more profitable than they think. And yes, legislation could stop this “moonlight madness”.

Posted by AndiV | Report as abusive

If some of these part-time employees are so desperate for more hours, why don’t they want to show up and work when asked? Their turkey might be cold when they get home? What a pity.

Posted by jaham | Report as abusive

It saddens me to know that so many people are willing to ruin their neighbor’s holiday so that they can save a few dollars for an item on sale. It is this lack of compassion that will eventually be the downfall of America, if it’s not already too late. Until our culture stops the ‘game’ of winners and losers and realizes that we are all in the same boat we are still headed for a very hard crash landing.

Posted by lhathaway | Report as abusive

The Fair Tax option would give ALL people a tax free ride up to the poverty line (~$24k for family of four). Combine this with an enhanced paycheck (no federal income tax/FICA tax withheld), this option is actually preferable for the “backs of poor people”. Please research before commenting.

Posted by Poquitoloco | Report as abusive

@Ihathaway,

The idea of “so many people…willing to ruin their neighbor’s holiday so that they can save a few dollars for an item on sale” is NOT the actual question here. It is, instead, the “many people” willing to challenge the freedom of choice of free consumers to shop at any time they choose when they are not themselves at work.

I happen to APPRECIATE Walmart being open 24 hours (where they are). I live over fifteen miles from the one I frequent, and so if I am returning from “town” I can refuel (up to midnight, anyway…guess fuel sales afterward don’t justify that person at the pumps booth).

I LIKE being able to stop and shop without making another separate trip…it saves me gas and wear and tear on my car and the local/state/federal road infrastructure. I LIKE being able to then go in and shop without the usual hoards of people and their unruly offspring. The restockers are pleasant and incoming goods piled in the aisles are a small price to pay for the convenience.

When I was in the service in a 24/7 “on-duty” detachment, I was one of several that usually volunteered for the “holiday” shifts so “family people” could be home with their loved ones. It’s called “working together”.

Too many today live in an alternate reality in which only a perfect society is acceptable to them. For them it’s “their way or no way”. No society has ever achieved perfection. Probably never will. Get used to it and stifle.

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

Amazon tells its employees not to worry about the competion, but to worry about providing really good deals for the benefit of their customers. At Amazon, black Friday lasts for a whole week, and if your not happy with your purchase, you get all your money back with a smile. Amazon will do well to break even on many of their sale items, but their attitude is “if we make out cutomers happy, what does it matter if we lose a buck or two?”. So check them out at amazon.com–I predict that you will be pleasantly surprised.

PS–I am not an Amazon employee or stockholder–I’m just a very satisfied customer.

Posted by gAnton | Report as abusive

We blame the retailers for providing all hours access to spend on goods-but guess what? American consumers don’t resist they go out and shop. We as a society are addicted to shopping-it’s part of our materialistic make up. Goods are cheap from China and credit is easy. Most of us don’t realize the downward spiral of buying cheap imported goods and going into debt with our credit card. Most of the dollars spent on buying China made goods goes to China for making the product- these are dollars that would be better spent if it went to a factory worker in the USA. The dollars would stay here and keep us more fully employed.

Posted by pointofview | Report as abusive

What a great day it was to put my feet up and read some good literature!

Folks who need to shop to the degree that I’ve read, are mentally ill imo.

Posted by w.burton | Report as abusive

@w.burton: no kidding!

The best discount: a good night’s sleep…

Posted by matthewslyman | Report as abusive

I fully agree to this comment. The madness of this shopping spree is appalling.

Posted by EdArnhem | Report as abusive

I continue to be amazed at how capitalism and democracy are used synonymously, and that those who promote “family values” so variously, think nothing of the fact that the one true family holiday has been transformed into a spending spree. In the 50’s and 60’s, retailers, except an occasional Mom & Pop owned deli, were closed on the major holidays. Sales were events that were interspersed throughout the year and not linked to a holiday. However in today’s world, that is not the case. We can blame it on the corporations, and they certainly have to accept responsibility, however we as a society would be remiss in not looking in the mirror and realize that we’ve let this happen. As once noted in the old Pogo cartoon strip…”we saw the enemy, and it is us.”

Posted by dumfounded | Report as abusive

No company in America should survive on the misery of its employees. It is time for organized labor to strike or boycott stores paying poverty wages. Perhaps executives could earn a million dollars a year less to pay their employees a bit better.

Posted by now100 | Report as abusive

This is what happens when workers can’t unionize. If Target or Wal-Mart workers could organize, they’d at least be able to get decent overtime when called to work on Thanksgiving Day. Of course this is anathema to their corporate bosses. They want a weak, docile, compliant, underpaid, take it in the rear workforce. I’d like to think that at some point American workers will regain the backbone of their grandparents and join forces to recover what has been stolen from them.

Posted by IntoTheTardis | Report as abusive

Hear! Hear! @Oldsuperdave. Your comment is spot on. In candor, attending an event where I might be pepper sprayed for the low probability chance of snagging one of 2-3 pieces of a single sale priced item is bad enough. But knowing full well that employees are being dragged from family to tend to a graveyard after the first 15-minute melee … it would be unforgivable for me to reward this policy.

Posted by SanPa | Report as abusive

I want to keep a clean conscience and blood off my hands, which is why I haven’t set foot in Walmart for over a decade.

Walmart is an organization comprised of a few executives who get filthy (and I mean blood-drenched) rich off the back of slave labor in foreign countries.

Posted by DisgustedReader | Report as abusive

Well, I’m pleased to announce I survived “Black Friday” at Walmart. I didn’t go early and I only did my usual shopping. At dusk the parking lot was still busy and inside lots of shoppers going about their business.

For the first time during the day, the isles were pretty full of restocking merchandise, so I believe their sale went well. The Customer Service area looked like a bomb had hit, and so did the clerk; but he still helped me with a minor problem quickly and with a smile.

So it would appear this “…weak, docile, compliant, underpaid, take it in the rear workforce…” was glad to have a job and was still able to do it efficiently with a smile for this customer. I appreciated that, and will be cack, again and again.

And if somewhere, far, far away gets rich as a result, that’s just fine with me. They make me no less content.

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

Well, when you stop to consider that “Thanksgiving” is mainly a European settler holiday, and they are growing more and more of a minority in this country, how many “Americans” actually celebrate the meaning of the day anyhow.

Before you get your “undies in a bunch” about my supposedly racist comment, “Christmas” disappeared into “Xmas” a long time ago.

The much more important question about your article is what holidays should we be celebrating as “Americans,” if the term even applies anymore?

The underlying problem, of course, is the US has lost its “coherence” as a culture, and while that may please those who believe in “multiculturalism,” what is happening to holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas is a “canary in the coal mine” as to what will happen when we wake up one day and find we have nothing in common anymore, except our differences.

Posted by Gordon2352 | Report as abusive

Posted by Gordon2352 | Report as abusive

I am conservative, but, as a potential customer, these stores could not pay me to show up on this artificially created event – there is nothing wrong with opening at 10am on the day after Thanksgiving – opening in the middle of the night on Thanksgiving is more akin to some sort of mass hysteria. Yes, employees in retail are not well paid – never have been, and never will be, even in boom economic times.

Posted by SayHey | Report as abusive

Treat employees like work animals and that’s how they’ll treat customers. Treat your employees well and they’ll treat your customers well.

Buyers who want 24 hour access or access on holidays with good service and good merchandise should expect to pay a little more, not less.

Customers who buy price, who do not care about service, and dictate terms, do not fit my business model.

These simple philosophies based on common decency has been the foundation for my success. I’d rather be moderately successful by treating my employees like human beings than stretch margins at my employees expense.

Posted by GSH10 | Report as abusive

I used to do a lot of shopping at Target but have intentionally stayed away to protest this forcing employees to be away from families during the holidays. It’s wrong. Both my kids have jobs like that and it’s impossible to schedule a holiday meal anymore with the whole family together. On THanksgiving they worked different shifts.

There is absolutely no reason why people have to shop at midnight. The whole scheme is a marketing gimmick. Stay closed until the Friday morning after Thanksgiving, which is plenty soon enough for holiday shopping to commence.

I’m someone who has spent a lot of money at Target through the years. I have boycotted Wal-Mart for years and now I’m adding Target to my list. Bye-bye, greedy retailers. Hello, Mom and Pops! Today I shopped at resale outlets and crafts fairs and guess what? I got better stuff for less money–and didn’t have to fight a single crowd.

Posted by WriterInk | Report as abusive

You know we have a fictitious economy when we are taught to expect that the consumer holiday we call Black Friday is what we need to revive our sluggish markets; that consumer spending is the thing we need to save us…

Posted by big_winner | Report as abusive

gAnton, Amazon also doesn’t need to tell its employees anything. Its employees are either outsourced call center staff or work distribution. They don’t have the same problem as the brick and mortar stores because Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday in the Phillipenes and there is no sense in having full distribution staff working when the mail is not.

Posted by djlowballer | Report as abusive

No offense here people but have you ever been in one of these stores when the power goes out? no one can add tax to anything without a touch screen computer? How much per hour is someone worth that can’t do basic math? I am an engineer and I make $42 dollars an hour, after taxes and benifits call it $30. In what world or economic model is it sustainable to pay the guy that can design/assemble/install the computer to allow any transactions whatsoever to occur any less than 3X what unskilled labor costs? I’ve worked retail, it was the easiest lowest stress job I ever had. I agree People should be able to raise a family on their wages, but some component of their work must also be worth a decent wage. IT can’t just magically appear.

Posted by Eddiebaso | Report as abusive

Just a lot of silly nonsense.
the same can be said for retaurants hotels and indeed myself- i am working til 4 am this morning to finish an assignment.

smarten up Caitlin we need more “can do” people and less of the “can’t does”. Anyway too much turkey is bad for you. Workers mostly respect their companies efforts to stay on the cutting edge and customers like this. Right.
These kind of jobs can help bail us out of the high unemployment- and if people dotn wnat let the immigrants woudl take them- if we let them,

Posted by thoma | Report as abusive

Capitalism is like water. A little is necessary, but when you are immersed in it, you will die.

Posted by westseer | Report as abusive

we should think that, after, all manufacturing jobs are more dignified and better for the US economy.

But it seems easier just to sell something for cheap… of course nobody really makes that much doing that.

Posted by robb1 | Report as abusive

@Eddiebaso I agree with you there. Its called “unskilled labor” for a reason. When I came back to the US to visit I couldn’t even get change made at a Wendy’s without the manager coming out since the automatic coin shooting machine was broken.

Posted by djlowballer | Report as abusive

The biggest savings you can make are by not shopping at all. The best thing you can do is shop less, but shop real quality. And shop American, if you can. I live in Switzerland, and I try to shop Swiss or at least European. I am sick of the globalization obsession, which has done nothing to help people around the world. Not really. It stresses workers and families, it has delivered our economies and our personal lives to frenzied bean counters, it has focused entirely on quantity, and totally abandonned quality. It’s rubbish.

I say: Put up tariffs, let the Chines trash in our shops have a real value (not the value determined by an artificially low yuan), and if a company outsources, may it’s products be slapped with a high tax…. This was a cionservative’s idea, arkozy, until his billionnaire friends told hime to stop it…

Posted by Talleyrand | Report as abusive

PoquitoLoco – Wow!! A whopping $24k a year?? For a family of four?? So I get to feed, shelter and clothe each person in my family for an extravagant $115/wk? Where do I sign up for this “free ride”!!

Posted by 4ngry4merican | Report as abusive

jaham and oneofthesheep – You guys are absolutely right! Who cares if the CEOs of Walmart and Target are making even more millions by cutting the wages of their already overworked and underpaid employees? Those CEOs work hard for those millions and by golly, they deserve every nickel! Those lazy, ungrateful ignoramuses should be happy they even have a job at all. If they think they’re “entitled” to such luxuries as “food” and “rent”, they should just work harder and become millionaires like the CEOs!

Posted by 4ngry4merican | Report as abusive

@4angry4merican,

You sound like a union member or wannabee that sees no problem whatsoever with Rap or other “music artists”, or basketball, baseball or football “stars, or movie stars with million-dollar contracts; but condemn those who similarly make money by being excellent in inventing and patenting products, manufacturing, retail, real estate, or development, or financial services, etc. Double standard that is utterly indefensible and unrealistic.

Back in the seventies I could hire one of the neighborhood kids to mow and trim my yard. They got some pocket money and work experience and everyone was happy. No homeowner policy would cover the OSHA risks today and I’d get “busted” for viiolating child labor laws (and that kind of work I’ll do myself before I’ll pay $7.00+ to get it done. So, those jobs are GONE! Whose fault?

When I relocated to a rural area, I would hire an after-school high-schooler through shop teacher referral for $5/hr. to help me do unskilled labor…we would work side-by-side shoveling a twenty-year accumulation of soil, hay, and urine-soaked manure out of an old barn I was reclaiming from the termites. Minimum wage is up 45% today and I’m retired living mostly on Social Security; so I can’t afford such help. THAT’s why kids can’t find work today. Unskilled labor isn’t worth what it costs.

So people like YOU want to take the CEOs of Walmart and Target out and lynch them? You, sir, are an American by accident of birth and inconceivably unappreciative of the bounty yours but for the taking from birth. If “what goes around comes around, you will die bitter and broke INGRATE!

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

OneOfTheSheep – I made no mention whatsoever of the “double standard” you try to hang around my neck in your first paragraph. Furthermore, you prove my point by stating that you believe those that are “excellent in inventing and patenting products, manufacturing, retail, real estate, or development, or financial services, etc.” deserve every penny of the billions they hoard but that a measly seven bucks is far too generous for the kid who sweats his ass off mowing your lawn.
This is exactly the problem with you Republican types. You’re so completely brainwashed by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh that you are oblivious to the hypocrisy of believing that the 1% are unquestionably deserving of their millions but a union member who uses collective bargaining to scrape out $50k a year so he can afford to feed and house his family without taking on a second or third job is a lazy greedy communist who is destroying the country.
Lastly, you can spare me your pathetic attempt at an attack on my patriotism. I work three jobs to get by, pay my taxes without whining and have never had a damn thing handed to me in my life. I am just as deserving of my piece of the American dream as anyone else. Unfortunately that dream no longer exists.

Posted by 4ngry4merican | Report as abusive

@4ngry4American,

When I said “sounds like” I referred not to your words, but to the mental perspective reflected by them. Similarly, I said nothing about “every penny of the billions that they hoard” because there are very, very few Americans who HAVE “billions”.

My wife and I live predominately on Social Security month to month, and so no, I can’t afford to pay an ADULT $7+ to use MY equipment…tried that, 1d10T burned up my weed eater (didn’t put the gas that had the oil in it in the thing) and my mower (never checked the oil). Money doesn’t fix 5TUP1D.

You’re the one green with envy that hates the people that run the businesses that employ many working Americans or the operations that sell services to those employed. Your “collective bargaining” has wrongfully increased the cost of America’s infrastructure to the 80+% of Americans that don’t “live well-work union” but are forced to live on less so YOU can earn more.

I said NOTHING about your patriotism. I said that you do not exhibit the gratitude any native-born American should feel for the privilege of living in America as it is, with all it’s flaws. Is it perfect? No! It doesn’t have to be. All it has to be is the place just about every person who CAN relocate here chooses when thry “vote with their feet”

You picked an appropriate posting name. All you do is gripe and find fault. That makes you an ingrate…a person not properly grateful for that which has fallen in their lap as a matter of luck.

You’re already bitter, apparently having given up on “your piece of the American dream. Maybe you’re just greedy yourself, since a “union piece” is already bigger than the “piece” most of us get. I doubt you would live long under Communism.

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

OneOfTheSheep – “Being a free country, whether an American has a hundred, a thousand, a million or whatever if it’s HIS or HERS by legal means they their right to spend it, hoard it or play Scrooge McDuck and just run it through their fingers.”
“Your “collective bargaining” has wrongfully increased the cost of America’s infrastructure to the 80+% of Americans that don’t “live well-work union” but are forced to live on less so YOU can earn more.”
If you cannot see the blatant hypocrisy in these two completely contradicting statements, then you have already fatally overdosed on Fox News. There is no help for you.

Posted by 4ngry4merican | Report as abusive

@4ngry4merican,

Intended to say “Being a free country, whether an American has a hundred, a thousand, a million pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters or dollars if it’s HIS or HERS by legal means it’s their individual right to spend it, hoard it or play Scrooge McDuck and just run it through their fingers as they please. It’s no one else’s business whatsoever.”

”The only connection between the two quotes is truth. Hope you work it out.

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” – Frederick Keonig

Happy Holidays!

Posted by OneOfTheSheep | Report as abusive

OneOfTheSheep – I’m not the one who needs to work out my “truth”. You’re the one who chooses to blind yourself to the hypocricy of claiming that the mega-rich are entitled to their millions because they earned them by morally questionable but technically legal means, but union laborers are for some reason less entitled to their living wages despite the fact that they earned them just as legally. If you seriously believe that collective bargaining is a greater evil than legally bribing your congressmen to eliminate regulations and create tax loopholes for your own personal gain, then you are too far gone to be helped.

“you will die bitter and broke INGRATE!”

“Happy Holidays!”

Don’t forget to take your medication today…

Posted by 4ngry4merican | Report as abusive

yes i want to get up at 1am and be at walmart or target and wade into the fray in order to get spayed with pepper spray. tis the season. BRING IT ON.AHHHHH

Posted by freddoe | Report as abusive