Comments on: Who controls Voting Rights? Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:57:19 +0000 hourly 1 By: JL4 Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:15:00 +0000 @LysanderTucker,

Free speech can be taken from you by a government that could, were it not written into the Constitution, come to your house, drag you out and put you in prison for speaking against it, or stone you in the street.

If Romney had won, we wouldn’t be having a discussion about Section 5 in this country.

By: LysanderTucker Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:00:17 +0000 A man is no less a slave just because he is allowed to elect a new master every 4 years. Never does the ballot have a “Void Office” box to check and the idea of voting to gain the majority means nothing more than “I wish to be the 51% that oppresses the other 49%”. Rights are blown out of proportion. Do you need a right to hear? A right to see? A right to walk? No. Everything that has ever been declared a right, including voting rights, has been regulated away for some group of people. Free Speech is not a right, its an ability and it can only be taken from you by removing your vocal chords. Voting is described as a right so that people don’t realize what it actually is, voluntary slavery.

The only people that need rights are those with no might.

By: VultureTX Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:05:33 +0000 OP is a partisan hack, as can be easily seen by his writings.
HINT: he is the proponent of the meme “there is no identity fraud by voters”

SCOTUS declares when a law or section of a law becomes unconstitutional, not Congress, and Hasen know this but ignores it.

/I hope Volokh takes him up on his position

By: kramartini Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:29:30 +0000 The problem with this argument is that the formula which determines which states are covered by Section 5 is facially irrational, a point that the government concedes.

It is the Supreme Court’s duty to overturn such an arbitrary exercise of Congress’s power.