Passport to hell – A day battling India’s stifling bureaucracy

June 9, 2008

Surojit GuptaHaving covered government policy for years, I have lost count of the number of foreign businessmen I have heard complaining about how difficult it was to set up in India. But a visit to a government passport office just outside the capital this week showed it can be just as frustrating getting out.

The government has been talking about easing rules for the issue of passports, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has time and again called for better governance.

Both were in short supply in Ghaziabad, a chaotic urban mess in Uttar Pradesh state, one of India’s least developed, where to get anything done, it seems, you have to call in a favour.

The city’s passport office is stuck in a time warp, hours spent there a harrowing experience with applicants navigating a string of unhelpful and grumpy officials who communicate only in grunts.

Having to go overseas for work, I was willing to pay more to have my passport issued under a scheme for urgent cases but soon found that guaranteed nothing.

Hours crawled by and nothing happened. No one would accept my application. Faint with hunger and dehydrated, in desperation I sought help from officials in the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi but was told they could help in any passport office in India — apart from Ghaziabad.

Finally, in utter desperation, I called a friend, a senior official in the ministry, and asked for his help. His intervention immediately changed things, and within minutes I heard my name being called.

I sailed through the sea of red tape and my application was lodged within 15 minutes.

As I left the building I pitied those waiting in the queue. They had nobody to help. I saw people from rural areas sweating it out; young women, intimidated by the sheer suffocating weight of the bureaucracy.

India is a trillion dollar economy and aspires for a seat at the global high table. But when your systems of governance belong to the Stone Age and alienate ordinary people, it has a slim chance of entering the big league.

I am yet to receive my passport and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The Passport office in chennai is no better. Its a hell out there whoever files their application be it a normal or tatkal. Its sheer luck if you get your passport. Its almost two months I applied a passsport through tatkal and have not yet received my passport neither is their status enquiry through phone and website working.

I am not sure if I will ever receive the passport even after my complaints and enquires. Hope and wish somebody take this seriously and help the common man like me.

Regards,
Jay

Posted by Jay | Report as abusive

Absolutely true. This blog just mirrors what i’ve been wanting to say. I underwent a hell of a time, in trying to get a passport made out of the Delhi office and your line on “grumpy officials who communicate only in grunts” is absolutely perfect.

I’m not sure, how India, with all these red tape and bureaucracy surrounding its everyday affairs, would emerge as a superpower in the future. I seriously doubt if India could reach the efficiency standards set by the West in even the next 100 years

Posted by Satheesh | Report as abusive

Guys dont blame indian city, Passport office in London got a same reputation. i answer for why indian bureaucracy not working is our democracy.

Jay

Posted by jay | Report as abusive

Its not only in India. I live in Canada and have been to Passport office in Toronto. People who work there are really rude and the system functions really slow. Once I sent them few documents by fax to get things done with faster. Instead they misplaced my documents. I had to personally travel 4 hours to Toronto at the passport office and hand them my documents again.
Well what can i say, its Indian government.

With Regards,
Rhy

Posted by Rhy | Report as abusive

I dont think the issues you faced exist just at Ghaziabad – they exist in pretty much every passport office in India. Its virtually impossible to get any miscellaneous service done to your passport (like an address change) without going through a travel agent who charges good money for these services. Of course, the agents complain that most of the money they charge has to be given as bribes to the passport office personnel. Even then, it is sheer luck if the service you sought is delivered to you without any glitches!

And have you visited the passport department’s website? Pretty much everything stated in it is outdated and any passport office personnel will have a good laugh at your expense if you tell him that you’ve tried following the rules mentioned in the website to get a service done!

Posted by Prabhu | Report as abusive

Passport office in the US is no better that Ghaziabad. I had sent my passport for renewal and they were smart enough to mail my passport back without stamping the extension.

Posted by SP | Report as abusive

Dear ,
I am also facing the same situation in Ahmedabad. They are non cooperative . They do not give any staright answer . My wife passport application is not accepted despite of repeated attempts day after day. My wife name is changed after marriage ,despite of affadavit ,circular in two papers, they are saying both old & new name willappear. Marriage affadavit is not acceptable you need to have marriage certificate even you are married 6 years before. I want to ask then what is the use of judicial affadavit. Are they not legal in the eyes of law . The worst dept i had ever seen . The consequense is i had to leave my FAMILY back home in india. BLOODY BEAURACRACY.

Posted by Amit Mahajan | Report as abusive

I wonder how “underdevelopment ” of uttar pradesh came into picture..it is irrelevant to subject…everywhere in india it’s the same and is worst in Kolkata

Posted by vivek mittal | Report as abusive

I don’t know about the rest of the country. But there’s a small RPO tucked away in the bylanes of Thiruvananthapuram (beyond the telephones office) which works with a level of efficiency that can put many pvt companies to shame. The turnaround time for any passport application was 20 days max. Last I heard, they brought it down to 14.

Posted by Madhu | Report as abusive

Surojit’s harrowing experience might also be a gentle reminder to each one of us to try and fight and restore the system in our own small way, rather than reach for the first point of influence who can pitch in to help.

Posted by Madhu | Report as abusive

I have also faced same situation at passport office, lucknow. Its no better than hell.Its being some 2 yrs now and i have not received my passport as of now despite of several trips to the same office. I applied for it when i was in 3rd year of my engg and now i’m working and have been offered for on-site, so last month i took 2 weeks vacations just for clarifying the same.
Despite of the fact that every thing is cleared for my application and their assurance that they will be dispatching it on 26th April on my home add., i have not received it so far…Its june now..I wonder by which postal services they have dispatched it that it has not reached my home even now….Its just the worst govt. system i have ever seen. Nobody listens there and no one is responsible towards their work.Its just made for the common person to suffer.
I really wish if some thing can change it and people wont have to suffer this much just to travel to another part of the world in this time..when govt talk so much of globalization..

Posted by Neha Chaurasia | Report as abusive

It was delhi passport office . I was luckly to get my passport after almost 2.5 years . I was pain to see how our IAS officier works.

Posted by Udit | Report as abusive

Usually the state of affairs in most government offices is quite pathetic and one has to really be patient to tackle all the bureaucracy.
However, six year back, when I went to the passport office in Delhi, I had a pleasant surprise. I was expecting the usual tantrums of the babus and possibly an explicit demand for a bribe. To my surprise, the application was accepted without much hassle and the passport arrived in a month.
I think I was plain lucky but I do agree we need a serious overhaul of our bureaucracy. Introducing accountability is the minimum but I am sure no government has the spine to do it.

Posted by Govind | Report as abusive

The story above by Surojit clearly mirrors how pathetic our Goverment departments work. As mentioned earlier, we aspire to be sitting in the UN as a permanent member, when our fellow countrymen sweat out in never ending serpentine queues to file for their passports. Its again one of the biggest irony our great Goverment has to offer us. Even in an age where most of the things happen online, our Bureaucrats are still hiding under piles of files & paperwork.

But the point is…India will only change when ‘We’ change…Our Country is made up of ‘Us’. So ‘We’ need to make it World class. So lets do it !!

Posted by Kunal | Report as abusive

I have been through this. It is only a miracle how things work in this country. We may be Asia’s third-largest economy but in ease of doing business we may quite easily be just third from the bottom. That too globally.

Posted by Unni | Report as abusive

I think it is abominable that bonafide Indians are made to undergo such torcher. I hope someone will wake up. Howcome no one feels for the applicant and wishes to have his work done just as one would want for one self?

Is this feeling of empathy gone?

Are the babus immune to common decencies.

Perhaps all these grunt-makers should be thrown out and the public servant jobs given to needy people who would serve the public better.

These jobs should have a remuneration based on results and customer satisfaction!!!

Hrishikesh

Posted by Hrishikesh | Report as abusive

Mister…your article smells of double standards…on one hand you pity the poor people standing in queue and on the other hand you yourself make use of your “useful connections” to get yourself a out of turn passport.

It is because of you type of people that poor have to stand in lines for hours…shame on you….!!!!

Posted by rahul | Report as abusive

My issue is not of a passport but a clearance I needed to get from RPO Hyderabad (For NORI) and it took one year for me to contact them (Cos I live in USA and all I could do is call them on a number which nobody picks) but of no help. Finally, my friend’s Mom who work there was of help. IF you dont know “somebody” then it is difficult to get things done in India.

Posted by Ali | Report as abusive

We live in Texas and the Indian Consulate in Houston is equally pathetic. They never return phone calls or emails or inquiries regarding applications for OCI or visas to India. You wonder why anyone would want to visit India or invest if the agency does not even want to provide the visa or OCI. There is no responsibility even after outsourcing the work to a private firm. This makes Indians look bad, incompatant and lazy.

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

The answer is privatize these services even more. Terminate the employment of these lazy beaurocrats who think they have an entitlement to cheat the public and secure a job for life at the expense of Indian taxpayers. Privatize and let the beaurocrats seek work like other Indians and only retain their jobs if they perform. I am sick and tired of the corruption and inefficiency of the Indian government. It is absolutely embarrassing to Indians all over the world.

Posted by Reddy | Report as abusive

I agree to Madhu’s thoughts on Passport office Trivandrum (a.k.a. Thiruvananthapuram). They are really efficient. I have had many instances to visit this office for getting passport of different members of the family. No doubt there is a long spanning queue here too (mostly people who travel to middle east for job). But you don’t need any agent or bribe or recommendation to get things done right here. Also, if you don’t want to be in this queue for long, there are travel agents who does these services for a nominal fee.

My experience with Embassy of India in Washington D.C. was mixed. I applied for a PIO card for my son. Since there was some exorbitant delay, I tried contacting them over phone. Whenever I called, the number gets re-directed to a voice mail box which says the mail box is full. So in result I can’t put a message. Alright, I thought of using the web page which receives complaints / suggestions etc. Again it was interesting to note that, like many other websites, here too we are asked to type the words as it appears in an image (to validate that the info is entered by an actual person). But the fun part here is the image shown in the website does not change. Thus the purpose of security image is defeated. :)

In spite of all these limitations / problems, I should say that they sent the documents in about a month plus 10 day’s time. That way even though I am happy that I got the documents without any problem, I wish there was some way to track the status of the application submitted or some accountability.

Posted by Pradeep Nair | Report as abusive

My dad is trying to get a passport from past 6 months in Jaipur. Last week he went there to inquire about the status of his passport and there were around 300 people in the queue with 2 windows. As the counter openend everyone rushed to the windows and after some time the computer on 1 window died.
He is 65 and it is very difficult situation.

Posted by Sumit | Report as abusive

The success of a democracy is measured by the functioning of the government, its various departments and how well they serve their citizens. Sadly in Indian bureaucracy, the culture is of constant denial, unwillingness to improvement and no end to this situation is in sight. Just conducting elections doesn’t make it democratic.
In government departments,no one is accountable for anything!

It’s sadly a failed democracy!

Posted by Hari | Report as abusive

I second Madhu’s comments. I have been to passport offices in Delhi, Thiruvanathapuram, and Toronto. While in Delhi, the capital of India, it is a mess and you need to be extrmely, extremly lucky to get you work done. Toronto is just about average, but Thiruvanthapuram office is the one that takes the cake. It is too perfect to be true.

Posted by MK | Report as abusive

Mr. Gupta after submitting passport application, be ready to pay INR 500 bribe (in Hindi language we can say “chai-pani”) to police officer for police verification. If you don’t pay bribe to police officer, he will not send your report to passport office. You may suffer a lot, please be honest and work hard for India. I recommend you don’t pay any bribe to police officer. You may not get passport this time. After 6 months re-apply for the passport, this time same police officer (as the are paying too much money to their senior police officers, so they hardly transferred) will come for police verification. Show him M.K. Gandhi’s picture. You will get passport this time without paying any bribe.

Still, we all love and contributing to make India as a superpower in the future.

Posted by Lost in India | Report as abusive

M.K. Gandhi (2 October 1869–30 January 1948) was the great freedom fighter of India. Show his snap to all corrupted people of India. Tell to corrupted people this person fought for your freedom in India and it’s the shame you are asking and giving bribe in his dream country.

Posted by Lost in India | Report as abusive

Hi,

If you really want your work done in any Govt. Office in India then either you should have a solid reference (specially an officer rank person in same office who could interfere if needed) or ready to pay to the lower staff or hire a broker. I am 100% sure that your work would be done within few minutes after reaching to that office.

If you don’t have any solid reference and don’t want to pay anyone then, my dear friend, wait for your number in a long queue, be ready to bear the clerk’s harsh words (who might be an un-educated person) and most of all be ready to come in that office for many days to chase your case but on your number in a LONG QUEUE.

This is India and I LOVE MY INDIA ! Proud to be an INDIAN.

Tejinder.

Dear all

Even I was very apprehensive when my family had to renew the passports ( I already had 10 year valid one) To my surprise, we had a different experience, which i had not expected. After standing in queue ( only my family; I went to office after dropping them at Mumbai passport office) from 9.00 till their turn came at 12.30pm, at new passport office near Bengal chemical, my wife and 2 children, faced the lady at the counter, who asked some more copies of documents ( thankfully they had all originals with them and the letter from net registration done by me a fortnight prior to the visit), which were submitted, 1/2 an hour of verification with originals and they were out at lunch time. 15 days later, for police verification a call came to our resi no. and we had to go to Police station for formalities. Also, The police man coming to our home after phoning us. Asked our neighbours if they knew us . My son was at school that time. So we had to go to police station again. And the renewed Passports came in total 21 days for wife and daughter and 26 days for my son. This happened two year back May 2006. I know this would seem too good to be true, I was under tension.. kab aayega, kaise milega , kya hoga etc lot of apprehension was there but this is our true experience. If the paper work is perfect, I think Mumbai passport office delivers in promised time. Proud to be a Mumbai Indian

Posted by Ketan | Report as abusive

I applied for my passport when I was studying in Guwahati. A very high ranking policeman asked for bribe for security clearance and when I told him, I am just a student not an earning person, he said OK give me atleast 50 rupees.
I had a hearty laugh (not in front of him ofcourse)- an IPS officer asking for Rs.50 bribe!!!
Then I waited and waited for my passport to get to me. I passed out of my college and went to service, still waiting for my passport.
Then I pleaded to one of my old friend in Guwahati and he managed to get my passport within next two weeks. And how he did it – he posed as an ULFA goon and slapped the peon of office in front of all babus. They all got the point. Believe me it actually worked.
God save Indian babudom.

Lost in India,
I agree with you to follow M.K. Gandhi path. But here are big buts .
I tried first to follow that path “not to bribe”, I was for medical examination for ISRO and medical officer asked bribe, I didn’t gave and it took 3 month to get medical report if I had given some money then it would take only 3 hours. Anyway result of that was I lost that job.

Second time , it was my passport it took 2.5 years to get the passport ready , But last I have to pay bribe.

In reality path followed by hons. MK Gandhi is close.

udit

Posted by Udit | Report as abusive

Does the government not have standards for processing time? Each office should have processing deadlines and should be rewarded/punished if they fail to meet the standards. There should also be surveys with the citizens on how the customer service was at the office. If some offices are not performing, they should be shut down and the managers fired. The government should also increase the number of employees to process the applications in case the current staff is unable to perform.

The alternative is to give private contracts to companies to perform these services. Let various companies compete for bids and acquire the government contracts for a certain term.

Posted by Bhaskar | Report as abusive

Virendra – If the guy asked you for a bribe, you should have kicked his behind and reported the jerk.

Posted by Bhaskar | Report as abusive

Udit, I agree with you. I was also a victim. We are helpless to solve this matter. There is no Bhagat Singh in 21st century. People are ready in India to die for Congress, BJP, CPM, etc. Blindly they support this corruption. It’s doubtful that India will be a superpower in future. Ex president of India can make best missile of the world, but it is true that he was totally (100%) fail to solve this corruption system in India in his term. We don’t have any expectation from the current president or government of India. No body will help to common people in India. We are all depending on lord Ram (in Hindi “Ram Bharose”.

Posted by Lost in India | Report as abusive

stop saying you are helpless and take action. Ask for privatization of these services so you are not dependent on the government red tape. As they see competition and their jobs at risk, things will get more efficient.

Posted by Bhaskar | Report as abusive

I have known about this problem in India for many years and as some readers have pointed out its not just in one place but the whole nation. Thats very true.

After reading this article I hope people will think twice before they complain that the lines are long when applying for Visa to a foreign country. That line is nothing compared to this mess.

This is a pure example of Gov hiring incompetent and worthless individuals. These losers will never get hired in the private Indian business sector. Their only option is to get a GOV job.

Whats even more shocking is that there is no over sight to see why its taking years to issue a passport while it should take no longer then a few months.

I know some people in India gov love to compare every thing to the USA, why dont they try to compare this with the US. Here in the US it only takes a month or less to get your passport (if you are an American, born here), And you dont need to know some Gov CHAMCHA to get it done.

Mera Bharat Mahan ! INDIA SHINING (in all the wrong ways)!

Posted by Raj | Report as abusive

I have a good experience from Thiruvananthapuram Passport office. I did my studies at Calicut and me, along with a friend, applied for my passport at calicut. He got his passport after couple of months but there was not information about my application. I went to the passport office and they told that there is a small problem with the signature and they were waiting for me, without sending me any intimation about this. After waiting for another month, i got it.

I am from Thiruvananthapuram and when I came back here, I wanted to the address in my passport. I went to the passport office at Thiruvananthapuram and asked them what was needed to be done. They explained me what to do and asked me to come with an address proof along with the passport. Then itself, i went to a nearby photostat shop and gave the evidence and they accepted it. with in 2 weeks time, I got my passport back with changed address..

Posted by Praveen | Report as abusive

India should be comparing itself to China. Chinese government officials taking bribes would be executed by the government. That’s why Chinese economy is leap years ahead of India.

Posted by Bial | Report as abusive

I have found Bangalore passport office to be very good. They follow rules to the book and generally don’t bend rules to please a few hand-picked. I got 5 passports made for my entire family of parents and spouse and kids and never had to wait for unreasonable period.
Also, I got my passport renewed from San Francisco office in US and they were very supportive and courteous. They did call me and allowed me to fax additional documents and I got my new passport within 7 days which is remarkable by any standards.

Agreed that we do have problems at many other passport offices. I have personally found talking to the senior officials in the passport office may help as they may empathise with you but not those stupid clerks.

Posted by Devendra Kumar | Report as abusive

Devendra: The senior officials are the ones to blame. If they managed the office well, this mess would not occur. They should be held accountable for efficiency and customer service at these offices. Corruption occurs with their knowledge. So talking to “senior” management is useless. Citizens should call for the firing of anyone taking bribes and serious prison sentences for such offenses.

Posted by Rosy | Report as abusive

Being lived in India for 12 years, I had taken Indian citizenship but now I am back to the citizenship of my ciuntry of origin-Australia. What I see that all officials in passport office see this as the best oppurtunity to make common public feel that this is very big achievement to get the passport, it is some special privledge and they have to shelve some extra money out of their pocket. And over that it is the government office which by default should have its own bureaucracy and laggard and lazy way of doing things.

Posted by Darren Smith | Report as abusive

I’ve had the misfortune of having to visit the Chennai passport office more times than I hoped.
I agree with many of the previous comments that this is not a problem just in India. My opinion is that most government employees lack the kind of HR training that private companies give their employees. There is no question that govt. jobs SEEM far less attractive than their counterparts.
It is therefore all the more important that govt. employees are counseled well before they take up their jobs- told that they are not exactly the public “servants” they often perceive themselves as. I am sure that if the govt. does train these people, you will see far brighter faces at the passport counters.

Posted by Ramsharan | Report as abusive

My Experience is different and might not sync with most of you.

I applied for my passport renewal online @ https://passport.gov.in/pms/OnlineRegist ration.jsp (Delhi branch). Went next day with all documents mentioned online, submitted my application and was free in couple of hours as you need to stand in queue (although you could pay 100 bucks to small kids who stand in queue and give you priority placement in the same queue). It was smooth and easy as it can get without any touts help or any ministerial help. Was told to collect the passport the third day (as it was applied in tatkal scheme).

I think in my view whichever system has been digitized (made online freely accessible to public) it has improved over a period of time be it online air ticket reservation (remember those old days when you had to wait to travel by air India and seek touts help) or rail ticket bookings (see how easy now it is to book train tickets.)

So in my view digitize and bring e-governance into the system and things will improve. Even mobilizing the system will definitely help (i mean m-governance).

Hi Surojit,
You made an excellent point. Despite 15 years of economic reforms and scores of promises of speeding up passport applications, nothing has been done and the same inefficiency, sloth and the “we don’t give a damn about the people’ attitude of the IAS and other babu continues.

The point is that we accept the indignities and inefficiencies heaped upon us. No one really takes these guys on–instead we use “contacts” from the same basically inefficient bureaucratic class.

I am glad you started this blog and that so many people responded. Can you take this forward, rather than letting your blog die away in a few days, without anything really changing. Somehow reach this blog to the country’s Chief Passport Officer and make him at least realise the level of disgust with the passport office. Do that Surojit, and you would be serving India –all of us –well.

Posted by Syed Mansoor | Report as abusive

Thank you for this blog. Please start a movement to privatize passport processing and allowing private companies to bid for these services. This is the only way to fix the government. Introduce competition. Without competition, they can continue to be inefficient and lazy.

Posted by Ravi | Report as abusive

All over the world, issue of a passport is time consuming process. I am in the US, and it took almost 14 days to get the passport on an emergent basis. Extra payment is involved. The important thing is, one need not approach anybody for help. It is done in the normal course and everyone is treated evenly. No need for a friend or highup to get the work done.

Since you have drawn very good attention to this issue, perhaps another one you can tackle is that of air quality and dust pollution in India. For some reason, all over India, we love to take the grass out from the sides of our roads and fields and leave dusty fields. This promotes dust to fly all over. Most western countries plant grass on street sides to avoid the dust. We need more grassy fields and lawns with grass in our front yards. This would promote a more environmentally friendly India that is beautiful as well.

Posted by Ravi | Report as abusive

Unlike many of the other reader who have posted their unpleasant experience, I had a different exp in New York, USA. I had sent all my documents through post and within one week had my new passport delivered in priority mail at my home. I was skeptical whether I would receive my passport or not, but thankfully I didn’t face any hassle.

I am Totally disagree with Surojit.
The Bhopal, Passport Office is very coOperative and helpful.
Proof….. Ask Monika Bedi.

Posted by Rajiv | Report as abusive

At least you don’t have to renew your visa every year so as to enjoy the right to work here. Each time it requires several letters, ten photographs, a visit to the Foreign Office, a fee… The people have the air of government workers with jobs for life and everything is written (yes, written!) into ledgers.

Posted by Aarti | Report as abusive

Looks like the passport officers are getting on to defend the system that employs them. They are only trying to hold on to their jobs. The passport offices are a mess and the government should fix them asap.

Posted by Sarita | Report as abusive

Well, all I have to say is, this shows how difficult it is to be an indian, you have to earn it real hard with sweat, toil and your blood (ask the billion plus of them)…our bureacracy does everything it can to help you in your endeavours…a big clap for this great nations great bureacracy.

Posted by Sceptic Indian | Report as abusive

Buerocracy is the Mother of Naxalism, Maoism.

Citizen, who are the Masters of nothing, are so much harrased, that it becomes living hell.. That is the reason extremism comes to play.

God Save our Country..

It’s no different at Consulate General of India in New York. The people who work here are a bunch of rude, lazy and inconsiderate people. I thought to my self while standing at the counter which was an hour late to open, in a hot and humid basement where the stench of urine and sweat had permeated throughout the sorry excuse for what they call the Consulate, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ANY ONE GO TO INDIA, EITHER FOR BUSINESS OR FOR PLEASURE? The higher-ups who are in control need to be fired.

Posted by INDIAN | Report as abusive

Hi,
when everyone is talking bad about the passport office..I would like to share my good experience with passport offices, not once but 4 times with different passport offices.
my 1st passport issues in Delhi in 1996,very pronmptly within the 3 months time frame, which was the norm.
2nd for my wife in Ahmedabad passport office. again very promptly without any problems.
3rd I applied for my sons passport under tatkal scheme in Ahemdabad and got it in 5 working days without much troule.
4th was when I applied for a new passport in Singapore’s passport office. which again I got very promptly.
So guys, are we really missing somethings?? why did I have 4 very good experiences, when every one else had bad experience only.????????????

Posted by Deepak | Report as abusive

Well deepak, you had good exp. btw how much you had paid as bribe.

udit

Posted by Udit | Report as abusive

I agree with Ravi. The answer is to privatize passport processing. If national security companies and defense contractors can be private in the United States, passport processing can be privatized as well.

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

People who are praising passport office of India, they are suspicious. It is the fact that in India you have to pay bribes everywhere.

1.For Passport (In India as well as in some Indian embassies). One of my friends told me yesterday he had a bitter experience in Indian Embassy(overseas) in 2006. He complained to high level. Corrupted Indian officer of Indian Embassy was sent back to India within one month. My friend had to suffer a lot but he got his passport after 2 months without paying any bribe. He thanked to his political connection in India.
2.Even in foreign embassies in India where Indian staff and Indian doctors ask for the bribe (chai-pani) for your visa and medical report. Educated people are running such dirty business in Delhi and Chennai.
3.We have to pay bribe for driving license
4.We have to pay bribe for an electricity connection
5.We have to pay bribe for ration card
6.We have to pay bribe for income tax file return
7.We have to pay bribe for stamp paper, house registry and power of attorney
8.We have to pay bribe for water connection
9.We have to pay bribe in all Indian ministries
10.We have to pay bribe to get a license for a medical shop, hotel and restaurant

In 1962 we lost the war with China. We could not throw out Nehru’s Government that time, which was the responsible for this defeat. Because of corruption and over confidence, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka or other small countries can beat India in future. Our people fought bravely in Kargil. Who is taking care of those families lost their son in the Kargil war? Even they had to pay bribe to get a petrol pump (A special scheme for direct allotment of 500 oil product agencies to the next of kin of those killed in Kargil operation). It’s the shame to India.

I want to ask a question to all Indian people, “How India will be a super power in the future?”

Posted by Lost in India | Report as abusive

Reading the harrowing experience of people i really feel great to be in Bangalore. I recently got my passport from RPO Bangalore, the entire process was very transparent. The status of the application was updated regularly on the website and the passport was issued in a month.

Posted by Abhishek Prasad | Report as abusive

I feel no wonder. This is India, our India. All the govt officials need bribes. From Police DGP to constables, Registrar to Peon, bribe is a must.

I have submitted an application to renew passport before six months. No news.

I know I can get it within two days, if I moved with a bunch of Gandhi (Ghandi Rupees)

I do not feel shame because I am an Indian. Within sixty years of hard experience, people will forget to be ashamed off!!

Posted by Abdulkareem | Report as abusive

It will get worse before it eventually gets better – remember, we Indians will only respond to a crisis, the rest is all “chaltha hai”!!~!

Solution – Install cameras to watch these white collar goons and outsource the monitoring to the WEST.

Posted by vidyadhar | Report as abusive

Electricity: Deregulate electricity like with cell phones and give more choice to consumers by privatizing.

Driving License: Let private companies administer driving courses and exams and applications for driving licenses and customer service for various fees. Government does not need to contact citizens directly. Each private company can charge different fees and let customers choose.

Water Connection – Invest in private companies.

Deregulate businesses and empower privatization of everything. Introduce competition and consumer choice. That is the only way to empower Indian citizens as opposed to empowering Indian government. Government has been the problem rather than the solution in India.

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

Guys.. hold on for about 6 months and there will be a dramatic change in the way you look at Passport office. there is huge tender floated by External affair ministry to radically improve the passport work.

Once you go to passport office, it will be mandatory for the official to meet you and hear your query in 15 mins, stamp ur passport in 1 hour, new passport in 15 days etc. etc..

there is some real money pumped into this operations by getting some latest technology and privatise some parts of the operations..

wait and watch.. it will be the among best passport offices across the globe

Posted by Kamal | Report as abusive

i applied for passport for my internship in engineering….although at the begining it was a bit dissapointing, later when one of the lady official knew abt the college in which i was studying, things speeded up a lot…this happened in calicut, and then onwards i started loving my college more :)

Posted by binoop vasudevan | Report as abusive

Reading the blog itself is suffocating whats more actually applying it. I am a Malaysian. Despite many complains I have, applying for passport is definately not one of it. In Malaysia, long time back there was little napoleon running around in the immigration department. But things had improved over the years. Now it takes 3 working days and that’s it. Nothing more than that. It urban areas with automated system, it takes 30 minutes to apply and 2 working hours to get the passport. Have done that. It is just amazing.

Posted by Punita | Report as abusive

In India we complain, we complain , we just keep complaining about every thing related to government.

Why we don’t do anything about this, I too got my passport after waiting for a long time in queue and gone through the same bureacracy and red tapism seen in most of the passport office in India.

But what we are going to do to resolve this issue.

Elect a new government every 5 years of less and expect the new government will change the things.

My suggestion are.

Why there is one passport office for a city like bangalore or hyderbad or new delhi or etc., etc.,

I lived in Belgium for a couple of years, there I found something called Community Help Centre, this community are available for every small and big areas.i.e., lot of CHC accessible to everyone.

India should create Community help centre, Iam from Hyderbad, I think we need atleast 150-200 CHC, so that everything will go smoothly.

every state should consists of one centralized community service and lots of community help centre, so its services are accesible to everyone.

What say….!!..

Posted by Mahesh | Report as abusive

Community Help Centers run by the government will not work because again it is the government! These officials will require bribes and will sit around and do nothing all day. What we need is to let private companies run the processing and customer service and require only necessary oversight from the government for security purposes. Give citizens a choice regarding private companies and allow more competition among them. Let them set their own fees (with the minimum going to the government) and processing timelines.

Posted by Nate | Report as abusive

Why do they let Indian officers run OCI services in the consulates in the United States? There are many NRIs and non-Indians they can hire who have great customer service experience. There is no need to bring Indian officers and pay for lodging and all other expenses when locals can be hired for these services at a fraction of the cost and provide better service. Only limited Indian officers are needed in these offices.

Posted by Nate | Report as abusive

India is just like Bangladesh (and presumably every other country in the subcontinent)! Our passport offices and our bureaucracy in general are just the the same and excel in creating hells for the people they are meant to “serve”!

Posted by Bangladeshi | Report as abusive

Washington DC passport office is very well run. I have visited perhaps 10 times over 20 years to get visas for my family (who are US nationals), my passport renewed, and stuff like powers of attorney for India.

Each time it has been same day service. Once the front desk could not find my passport by the end of the working day. A lady officer came from upstairs, told the front office people to go home. She then took care of the whole thing herself: found my passport and papers, and got the consul to sign. She and the consul remained in the office for one-and-a-half extra hours.

The bathroom in the passport office is always clean. People in line are well-behaved; sometimes an Indian client will get agitated because he doesnt have his papers in order, but people help the front office staff to explain to him he hasnt done the right thing and to back off. Everyone is taken in turn by a number. No one jumps line or is allowed to join.

Once I went to have my passport reissued after 10 years expiry. The counter clerk herself told me if I wanted to pay $20 extra I could get a 20-year passport instead of the usual 10-year one. I had no idea this new type of passport existed. She held my place in line while I went to the money machine for the extra $20; when I came back, she immediately took me after finishing with her customer, though I was about 25th in line because I had to go out.

BTW, in case anyone who reads this and is familiar with my name thinks I get better service because of my name/connections, please be assured no one at the embassy or visa section has the least clue who I am. I have never had to ask the Ambassador’s office or the Military Attache’s office for a favor because the visa/passport office is so quick

Except for the long lines at the Mumbai passport office, once my documents were submitted i received my passport quicky. The first time it came in the stipulated 2 months and for rewnewal through tatkal i got it in 10 days.
One thing i learnt is to have all documents in place and also carry the originals when submitting.

Posted by Chan. | Report as abusive

I too experienced this @ Chennai passport office. I provided 2 address(which i think is biggest mistake) and i waited for 2 years repeatedly filing personal information form for police verification in my 2nd address. Neither police provided verification from second address(in fact PP office sent verification to first address again), nor the PP office check with the police. To speak 2 minutes to a rude officer , you need to wait for 4 hours in queue. But when i filed RTI application, my passport was dispatched in 10 days(which took 2 years before),even without verification. But their reply to RTI was not proper, but i didnt pursue, since i got my passport. RTI, i think is effective way to tackle bureaucracy, but even educated people(rich) bribe to get work done(poor have no means to bribe) .

Posted by tt | Report as abusive

I completly agree with Surojit as I myself have gone through the ordeal at the Ghaziabad passport office. Despite using the “Tatkal cahhnel”, under which one is promised delivery of passport in 10 days, it took me three days to submit the form itself.
In case of my four year child, (Me and my wife both have passports), the passport office pasted the objection on its website that after the police verification, it was found that the person concerned was not a permamnet resident. This is the case when if both parents hold valid passport, no police verification is required in case of a minor. Also how can a four year child be expected to stay away from parents.

Posted by prakash jha | Report as abusive

Everybody is talking about this problem and that problem. Someone please talk about the solution. What could be the solution and what can I do as an Indian Citizen?
My opinion is to put hidden cameras in all passport offices and catch all those greedy officers. Make the rules simple so rural person can understand the same. Upgrade the system to be so powerful that even if the person does not have enough document, system should be able to track any descrepancies. Are government officials listening to these?????

Posted by Chetan | Report as abusive

The Consulate office in Houston, Texas is a joke. They list the following contact information (by telephone and e-mail).

Telephone PABX: 713-626-2148, 713-626-2149
Consular Enquiry: 713-621-5576, 713-621-8408
Fax: 713-626-2450, 713-627-2034, 713-993-9347
Email: ocicgihouston@swbell.net

However, they never, NEVER, answer the phone. You can call for an entire day and they don’t answer. Maybe they just turn off the phone in that office. Same with email. Send them many emails and they never answer. I challenge anyone to call these numbers and see if you will get an answer.

Why do they even list contact information if they have no intention of answering the phone calls or email messages?

This is the most pathetic situation!! Shame on Indian government.

Posted by Jas | Report as abusive

Jas, I am not surprised to know about Consulate office in Houston, Texas. This is the same situation in any India office in all over the world. Have you ever try to reconfirm your air ticket with Air India? It was horrible experience for me to call Air India for reconfirmation. In India Air India’s toll free number is not working. I called to Air India via STD as I was not in Delhi. I tried 20-30 times than somebody took the call and immediately told me in Hindi, “Yaha phone kyo kiya hai?” (Why you call here?). I said, “Is it Air India? I want to reconfirm my ticket.” She told me, “yes, it is Air India, try another number” and cut the line without giving me another number. This try I try Toll free number as that number I can try from any BSNL land line. I fed up with Toll free number as there was some problem with Toll free number. Finally I got another number of Air India from one of my friend again I have to go STD Booth to call Air India. This time number was correct and I had to listen same voice message for 45 minutes “All are busy….”. After this much struggle I was able to reconfirm my ticket.

Indians are too much overconfident with small economic growth. That’s the danger sign for India’s future.

These are the damned lies from the India politicians.
1. India shining.
2. India is going to be a superpower, etc.

Posted by India shining (Joke) | Report as abusive

I think that if the officials try to be polite and if they try to answer our queries patiently, life will be better for both the person applying for the passport and the official authorising the issue of the passport.

Ultimately I think the government is to blame. What is the use of having a government, which does not recognise the troubles faced by the citizens of the country which it governs.

Posted by Shyam | Report as abusive

Shyam, there is no value of common people in India. Every year thousands of Indians dying in rains, flood, terrorism, malaria, dengue, hunger, etc.
Who cares?

You have to fight and pay bribe to get your passport.
Who cares?

You choose wrong politicians.
Who cares?

We lost the China war in 1962, still congress ruling in India.
Who cares?

Current government is 100% fails to stop terrorism, corruption, and inflation.
Who cares?

Indian share market drop, that day Indian finance minister despairs.
Who cares?

Indian police and bureaucrats behavior is worst than British rulers (before 15 August 1947).
Who cares?

Posted by India shining (Joke) | Report as abusive

Correction:
When market fell, that day Indian finance minister disappears.

Posted by India shining (Joke) | Report as abusive

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my happy experince with the passport agency, my brother got passports issued for 5 of our family members without any hassle, no touts, no bribes. Maybe this was possible due to the online facility available for Mumbai.

Recently I came across a mail on “Grievance Redress Mechanism in Government”, one can go to the website

and write to the agency about the problem they are facing in any government agency.

Hope this helps everyone, as I saw a lot of comments about the harrowing experience they were facing.

Jai Hind

Posted by Nilesh Karania | Report as abusive

I also want to share a very happy experience with an Indian passport (even though this was in the consulate in San Francisco).

I had to renew my passport while I was a student in the US. I went on the to SF consulate website, downloaded the form, filled it in, put my existing passport, form, 4 pictures and a bankers check for $40 into an envelope and Fedexed it to the consulate. A mere FOUR days later, I had my brand new 10-year passport in my hands. FOUR days. I was amazed at the efficiency.

I guess Indian officers serving abroad are better trained or something. Also – one has to realize that the sheer numbers in India are a huge challenge to deal with with any task. Not that this is an excuse – just an attempt at an explanation.

Posted by Karan | Report as abusive

The government has failed to invest adequately in building highways and in establishing nuclear power electricity. Government has failed to address corruption in a meaningful way and to privatize services to the satisfaction of the public. It doesn’t matter that we lost the 1962 war against China. Being a military superpower means nothing if the benefits do not trickle down to the people. The real sadness comes from losing the economic war with China now. The government should continue to privatize everything so we are not dependent as much on any government for services. Government should fund private enterprise and privat contractors.

Posted by Rajesh | Report as abusive

Abandon Hope, All ye who enter here…: One man’s rambling lament about the Chennai Passport Office.

Rumour has it that in the After Life, those who were good go to Heaven and those who weren’t, go to Hell. In this life, however, in our quiet corner of South India, many of our law-abiding citizens will visit Hell on Earth, a.k.a. the Chennai Regional Passport Office, irrespective of their goodness or lack thereof.

The Chennai Regional Passport Office (RPO) is an innocent-sounding acronym. But the chaos that reigns at the RPO is a slap in the face of anyone who claims that the stranglehold of India’s bureaucrats has weakened in recent years. If India is shining, it is certainly not shining in, on, or anywhere near the RPO. And to think there are many clones of this utterly inefficient relic of Babudom blighting the urban landscape all across India.

Every cliché and every despairing cry about India’s babus and bureaucrats applies to the unforgiving and unreasonable “system” at the RPO. They claim the system is computerized, and it may be, but it is substantially overstaffed and is a circus of paper-pushing and file-shuffling. How else can one explain the mile-high stacks of files lying next to every computer, on the floor, and overflowing the filing cabinets? If your passport squeezes out of the system and finally returns to your prematurely grateful hands, you will likely find that your name, and the names of assorted relatives referenced in the passport, are bastardized beyond recognition. And don’t be foolish enough to expect an apology of any kind: you will probably be accused of providing incorrect information and be ordered to pay for any corrections. The passport office is, as one frustrated Tamil gentleman lamented, the “vaarst” place on earth.

I visited the Chennai passport office about a dozen times over a two-week period (not by choice, I can assure you). I have seen happier people at funerals, emergency wards, and dentists’ offices. The passport office staff (and I use that term loosely) are always impatient, rude, curt, irascible, and surly, and often imbecilic, unreasonable, and abusive…but I run out of adjectives. They can be, because they have utter control of your passport and are answerable to no one. In this day and age of jet travel and offshoring… you have passport, therefore you are. The staff can make you or break you, and that power is a dangerous thing, particularly in the hands of glorified clerks. The RPO staff would make excellent cattle herders, or possibly, interrogators at Tihar Jail. But they are eminently unfit to serve (an alien concept to them) in what should be a service business: applicants pay good money to have their passports issued or renewed, pages added, or police clearances issued.

Spare me a thought, ladies and gentlemen, and all those unfortunate souls whose psyches have been permanently scarred by their dreadful encounters with the soul-crushing bureaucracy of the passport office. We, the unfortunates, can only hope that the great Healer – Time — will repair our shattered egos and restore our faith in the goodness of humanity. (A good psychiatrist might also be of some help.)

But the Chennai RPO does have its uses. To journalists: the perfect opportunity to turn on your investigative minds and hidden cameras. To parents who wish to convince their children to seek a better life abroad: a field trip to the passport office will surely convince your progeny to speedily depart India’s shores. To those with inflated egos: a fail-safe cure.

I can only hope that when the time comes for the passport office Babus to make their final journeys they will be denied the ultimate passport. (One can hope…)

End of lament.

Posted by Vishnu Dev | Report as abusive

hello sir, can i go usa without any sponcer &exam?if thre will be a possble plz write to me my mail address .

Posted by shah abhishek v | Report as abusive

great post Vishnu. Excellent English prose.

Posted by Rajesh | Report as abusive

It took my parents 6 months to get theirs… And this was in Mumbai which is supposed to be one of the better passport offices in the country… My father (65 years old) had to go there 15-20 times… give “chai-pani” to few peons and clerks… My son is US born… My dad came along to see how the process works in US… I had pre filled the application online… went 5 mins before my appointment… I was taken in immediately… they verified all the documents.. took my sons photo and thats it. We were out in about 15 mins… We received the passport by mail in 4 days… My dad had a heart attack! :)

Posted by Manoj | Report as abusive

I have a first hand experince of Ghaziabad Passport Office. It took 35-Days and 15K Indian Rupees to renew my passport and 27 days to endorse wife’s passport to add spouse name.

Posted by Afzal Usmani | Report as abusive

I cannot agree more with this article as I also hail from the same dreadful city where even Stone Age men seem more sophisticated and organised. Ghaziabad passport office is probably the only passport office in the world where dogs sleep on application forms and after a span of 6-8 months you get a notice from the officials that the application form is lost, reason could well be that the dog has chewed it to pieces ! We journalists are still lucky but my heart pains for the common man ! Is anyone listening???

Posted by Nayanima | Report as abusive

Need to quash bureaucracy and Red Tape if the country is to move forward.

Government should not be in charge of anything except for country’s defense and guaranteeing the rights and privileges of its citizens.

The passport office in Hyderabad is certainly better than Ghaziabad office but it is inefficient regardless.

Posted by Asif Atish | Report as abusive

India will never become a global power. Not even a soft power, unless the people pro-actively confront these issues.
Whats the point in having democracy if the people cant even get basic services from Govt.
We need nothing short of a revolution. Otherwise we will be treated like beggers in our own Country.

Posted by Bharat | Report as abusive

What a farce! You don’t want to be the one stuck in the process, so you call “senior officials” and perpetuate the cycle. Forgive me, but that’s exactly what is causing the whole “VIP culture” to continue, giving rise to an “inefficient bureaucracy” for those not fortunate enough to have access.

Posted by SSR | Report as abusive

I live in montreal now. My experience with San Francisco Indian embassy was the best!.
Their service is prompt and people working in the embassy are very courtious. Kudos to them!!!

Regards
Raj

Posted by Raj | Report as abusive

publish the best passport offices in india. They will lead by example

Posted by Mohandas K Gandhi | Report as abusive

Hey,

My experience with Indian Embassy, Washington is very bad. We applied for our baby’s PIO card. We booked our tickets to India thinking that we would receive PIO within 7 weeks from the date we applied. (PIO processing time for embassy is 15 business days) When we called to enquire the status for the first time.(after 4 weeks)…they said that they have processed PIO and would be sending it within a day or two. Now they are saying they have lost our baby’s passport!:( :( yes….baby’s original US passport. The officials are reckless, and acting as if they have lost something of no value. We have now cancelled our tickets…and are struggling hard to get a responsible reply. Whenever we call the embassy, no one replies. After trying all the numbers 50 times in a day…we are getting someone on the line…but no responsible reply.

Posted by Struggler | Report as abusive

You can find this message in every India passport.
“THESE ARE TO REQUEST AND REQUIRE IN THE NAME OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDIA ALL THOSE WHOM IT MAY CONCERN TO ALLOW THE BEARER TO PASS FREELY WITHOUT LET OR HINDRANCE, AND TO AFFORD HIM OR HER, EVERY ASSISTANCE AND PROTECTION OF WHICH HE OR SHE MAY STAND IN NEED.”
(BY ORDER OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDIA)

Before requesting to the world, the president of the Republic of India should take an action against the corruption and cheap level bureaucracy in the Indian passport offices.

If people are facing many difficulties to get their passport than it’s the shame to India.

Posted by A.Y. | Report as abusive

I am Mrs.uthra senthil Kumar
i applied for passport in the month of jan 08.
my police verification got over in the month of feb itself.
Still i didnot receive my passport.
it has been nearly 6 months since i applied for the passport.

some one plz help me opout in getting my passport.

i enquired in police station. they are telling it has been cleared from their end itseems.
but if i got to passport office they are telling that i need to ask police station.

i need my passport since i have to go onsite reg my prj work.
any one plz help me out in this sitation.
dont know what to do….

Posted by Uthra | Report as abusive

HI
i also applied passport in ghaziabad office in Jan-08 and police varification is cleared (by spending rs 1500) , i am still struggling to get passport.
I feel i am living 25 year back india, when for every thing you have to wait long. Its so frustrating.
Can any body suggest where i can escalate the issue, who is governing body. I am in a mood to fight.

Posted by Mack DJ | Report as abusive

Hi
Everybody is telling about their bitter experiance, can anybody related to Possport Office can justified What is going on inside?

If there are so many problems, why people do not even vote for parties like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loksatta_(p arty) , which are full of youth and honest persons?

Posted by Kumar | Report as abusive

Hi,

All babudom frustrated, humiliated and short-changed souls can voice their complaints here:

This is a grievance redress website set up by the Central government. Hopefully they can sort matters out.

Please spread the word about the website.

Posted by Abhijeet | Report as abusive

The passport applicant verification by police is a BIG SCAM and a FRAUD. It s BRIBE COLLECTING scheme.

The police officers who come to verify you, openly ask for a bribe. And if you argue. They will Threaten You.

Posted by Roshan | Report as abusive

I read all these messages above, I totally disagree the blame on the Indian Passport, it Must the the sheer responsibility of every INDIAN who is graduating in INDIA MUST have a passport. There is No point in accusing and arguing about the inefficiency of the Nation.

There are many more macro issues to be resolved, and as citizens of india, it is our responsibility to see that by the time we graduate, ( atleast ) we have our passports, that we launch a Global Career.
Mostly everyone who is settled abroad, knows the credibility of the passport, but who live in INDIA, not really aware about this precious travel / identity document.

I have a good experience of Negligence where, at one point of time, in our organisation We had NO one , ( on our list of possibility to send for Onsite Assignment ) had a passport.

There was one lady who missed an oppurtunity to work in US, even after the client was willing to wait for 45 days, since she dint have her name in her ration card, and there by we lost a contract, there was another onsite maintenance work , which we were not able to take it up.

This even after insisting and having policies, that all employees must have passport, and should be willing to travel abroad.

The government dictates policies , at the highest level, but its in the hands of the citizens that we adhere to these and keep our identity , and relevant documents ready.

India is a democratic country, it can be made better ONLY BY THE PEOPLE.

Name : Rakhi Chatterjee
Date of Birth: 01/08/1972
File No. BPL/A0323476 dt 13.12.2007
All details and documents has been submitted by us to SP korba for police varification. Report has been generated on 15.03.2008, but wrongly sent to passport officer Raipur instead of Bhopal. Bhopal passport office has the photocopy of the report of police varification. They have sent back to settel the case to SP korba. SP korba say they haven’t received any corroespondence from PO bhopal. Public grivance officer of bhopal had a direct talk with SP korba and had prommised to settel the case, but till now no favaourable responce has been obtained. Its now the matter between two Govt departments and we can hardly do any thing.
My request is to help me to get issued the case urgently as the matter is almost 10 months old.

Applied for the re-issue of my passport on Tuesday under Tatkal scheme at Bangalore RPO. Got it in hand today. during the submission of my documents got a date on the receipt on indicating when my passport will be despatched from the RPO. The status was continuously updated on the web and despatched dot on time. Long live Bangalore RPO.

Posted by Atanu Mondal | Report as abusive

You guys are talking about all other passport offices other than Guwahati. My parents recently submitted application and they were told by few experienced that the earliest to expect is 10 months!!!!….. thats the norm it seems!!

PS. my father is presently talking to a person who claims he can arrange it for Rs 5000 per passport!!!!!!

Sen,

Sydney

Posted by Sarthak Sengupta | Report as abusive

SUB : AN APPEAL FOR JUSTICE TO PROTECT FROM OPPRESSIVE LAWS

Dear Sir,
From 1972 after independent, Bangladesh Nationals started to set up small scale Industries investing family resources ,using Innovative Technology as self earner so as to produce daily necessities and to achieve economic freedom & for creation of jobs for millions of unemployed
Government also started to help these fast growing PRIVATE SECTOR INDUSTRIES AS IMPORT SUBSITUTES and for EXPORT having fund from International Loan Giving Agencies and are distributed through different Banks from 1979
But the Owners of these Industries became helpless victims of continuous harassment, willful negligence’s, malice activities anti propaganda including fraudulent activities of Bank Officials due to lack of any effective laws to protect the owner of Private Industries till date
The Bank officials failed to fixed up production capacity of imported machineries, to provide minimum required working capital in. time and all these have been done willfully and in pre planed way to jeopardize the Government Industrial Policy as well to terrorize the Owners of Industries of Private Sector finally to occupy the mortgage properties of the owner of the Industries of Private Sector. As a result Thousands of Industries have been destroyed by Bank Officials.
Over and above due to illiteracy, ignorance and extreme poverty of vast majority of Bangladesh Citizens Bank Officials managing the concern authority enacted black / oppressive laws to hide out their offences denying the right of Owner of Industries.
Now in Bangladesh due to such laws the Courts are compelled to protect the offences of Bank Officials openly. .
This is another type Conspiracy to damaged or tarnish the image of Judiciary for creating uncertainty and total insecurity in the society .
Most of the Industries have became in-operatives and have lost their cash capitals, growth rate , and expatriate capabilities and became helpless victims of oppressive/ black laws due to absence of minimum accountability and laws to protect the owners of industries.

In 1992 & 1996 Government of Bangladesh identified and registered many Industries as SICK INDUSTRIES declaring not as Defaulter of Bank Loan but victims of Violation of Contract , Negligence , Fraudulent Activities or Malpractices of Bank Officials. due to Lack of Accountability. Which are no more a hidden matter.
THE HELPLESS OWNERS OF INDUSTRIES ARE LOOKING FOR JUSTICE, BUT THE DOOR OF JUSTICE ARE TOTALLY CLOSED due to enactment of ARTHA RIN ADALAT ACT ( Bank Loan Recovery Act ) on 1989 which were amended on 2003 and 2007
And Bankruptcy Acts of 1997 depriving the Owners of Industries from not only basic right but also from fair justice like those of Colonial Period WHEN THE HANDS OF THE PRODUCER AND TECHNICIAN OF MOSLIN FABRICS ( which were only produced in Bengal of undivided INDIA) were cut down to stop production of Finest Fabrics by Bengali Technicians and Producer.

It is heard out of Total of outstanding defaulted Bank Loans, about 60 to 70 % are lying with Nationalized / State Sector and less then 10 % are lying with Small and Medium sized Industries of Private Sector . And Bank Official can explain well about the remaining of the Loan Amount.

THE LAW OF TORTS IS MOST COMMON LAW. BUT SURPRISINGLY APPLICATION OF THE SAME ARE NOT ALLOWED IN BANGLADESH YET.

Due to which BANGLADESH HAS BECOME A HEAVEN FOR REPRESSION / EXPLOITATION forcing the process of increasing Poverty level in geometric rate , helping the process of Lawlessness , Social Restlessness , Insecurity for life and Properties of citizen which are at increasing rate now a days .
The Owners of Industries of Private Sector can not claim any set – off or compensation on the suit filed by BANK & OTHER THE LOAN GIVING AGENCIES for Loan Recovery under Artha. Rin Act for the above offences .like violation of contract, negligence, malpractices and fraudulent activities.
AS A RESULT NUMBER OF SICK / DISTRESSED INDUSTRIES are increasing in every year due to lack of accountability of Bank Officials. And other lending agencies .

BANKS or OTHER LOAN GIVING AGENCIES HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TOTAL INDEMNITY OF LAW for violation of contract , negligence, fraudulent activities and malpractices , . These have been done to hide out existing high profile malpractices and corruptions as per opinion of Expert Personals.
The Owner of Industries of Private Sector have no Legal Right to protect themselves from the oppression of Bank Officials and lending agencies which are now known to all , no more a hidden matter ,rather a part of the on going conspiracy to destroy the piece , security including individuals life and properties. .
Although in neighboring countries Like INDIA there are “ DEBT RECOVERY TRIBUNALS (DRT)”FOR LOAN RECOVERY where the Owner of Industries or Borrowers are allowed to claim Set off or claim compensation in same suit as filed by the Banks or Loan Giving Agencies or can run compensation suit simultaneously also.
But in BANGLADESH Owner of Industries or Other Borrowers of Bank Money or other lending agencies are completely deprived of any of such opportunity rather with provisions to hide out malpractices , violation of contract , negligence and fraudulent activities of Bank Officials & loan giving agencies have been given TOTAL INDEMNITY OR LICIENCE FOR UNENDING CORRUPTION OR MAL PRACTICES or Violation of Contracts & negligence with vested interest
And Owner of Industries or Borrowers of Bank loans are completely deprived of any type of JUSCTICE
Common people are also facing another type of repression UNDER CERTIFICATE CASE for realization of Government Taxes . small loan of farmers , weavers etc ,
Industrial Entrepreneurs can only file separate suit for compensation in a separate Civil Court which will be a matter of life long litigation with of no result due to absence of TORT LAW
As per Artha Rin Act nothing can be raised against the Order or Decree of Artha Rin Court to Higher Court without Payment of 50 % of the suit value or Decretal Amount as such no one can go for appeal to the higher court

The door of justice as a whole are closed denying the Legal right of Owners of Industries. as per Sections 12, 12 ( kha) , 18(2) & (3),19, 20,21,33, 34,40,41,42,44, 47 and 50 of Artha Rin Act.
The above mentioned Section of Arthan Rin Act are conflicting with ARTICLE 8, 15, 26, AND 27 of BANGLADESH CONSTITUTION AND THE GOVERNMENT INDUSTRIAL POLICY AS ADOPTED TIME TO TIME & major obstruction for democratic process & may encourage to force Citizen to frustration . Shall help Wrong Doer also .
Now there are no other alternative way or remedies , but to draw the attention of concern Authority of Bangladesh Government including PATRIOT POLITICALL EADER, CIVIL SERVANT, INTELLECTUAL PERSONS, LEADER OF CIVIL SOCIETY AS WELL AS INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO VERYFY the above laws and help for restoring EQUAL RIGHT for JUSTICE . and to help and Protect the Owner of Industries including Workers, Staffs of Industries who are already in Distressed Condition due to lapses of Policy Maker an Bank Officials and of the Oppressive / Black Laws .
And to help just to restore the accountability in all organizations including BANKS other Loan Giving Agencies etc for the greater Interest of Nations.
We would also request to kindly Circulate this appeal among Honorable Members , Partners of your organizations or in your News Bulletins and in Printed or Electronic News Media for Transmission this appeal among all organizations working for suffering peoples and to come forward to PREVENT LEGAL ABUSE and OPPRESSIVE LAWS and also to consider the followings :

1-. Humble Appeal before the Government of Bangladesh to amend the above laws allowing Owners of Industries to claim SET OFF or COMPENSATIONS for Negligence , Violation of Contract , Fraudulent or Malice Activities in the same suit filed by Bank or loan giving agencies as of the similar provision of DRT ( DEBT RECOVERY TRIBUNALS ) OF INDIA

2- Considering the heavy Loss / Damages of Government Registered & Identified SICK INDUSTRIES of 1992 & 1996 may of kindly be granted 100 % weaver of all types of Bank Loan closing all Pending Suits for recovery of Loan unconditionally .

3- The Existing System of Mortgage of Landed Properties as security / co lateral securities need to be completely abolished to stop ever growing corruption , malpractices and fraudulent activities which exist in Banking Sector and are much Proven Facts for the greater interest. of the Nation .

4- All pending Suits in Atrha Rin Court may kindly be transferred to Civil Commercial Court abolishing Sections 12, 12( kha) , 18(2) & 18(3), 19,20,21,33, 34,40,41,42,44,47 and 50 of Artha Rin Acts including Sections 28 ( Kha) of Banking Company Act Creating Democratic Opportunities similar to DEBT RECOVERY TRIBUNAL S ( DRT ) of INDIA for the end of JUSTICE or may be include compulsory arbitration law for finding the malpractices, negligence and to fixed up the responsibilities.

5- And to take immediate steps to abolish the system of CERTIFICASE CASE which are nothing but
abuse of LAW and worst one like that of COLONIAL RULE .

6- And such laws are compelling the judiciaries to protect& help – the offenders or wrong doer openly.

Suffering Groups of Owners of Industries of Bangladesh.

Posted by Suffering Group | Report as abusive

SUB : AN APPEAL FOR JUSTICE

Dear Sir,

abuse of LAW and worst one like that of COLONIAL RULE .

Suffering Groups of Owners of Industries of Bangladesh.

Posted by Suffering Group | Report as abusive