India Insight

The Mormons in India

August 18, 2009

– Sonya Fatah writes for the GlobalPost, where this article first appeared. –

Their voices rang out, echoing in the nearby passageway. “Count your many blessings,” they sang. “Name them one by one. Count your many blessings. See what God hath done.” And so, the women, some 25 of them, members of the Sisters Committee at one of the six churches of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in New Delhi, closed their Sunday post-service meeting.

“Let us all work together so we can have a temple here,” urged the chair of the meeting, eliciting head nods and verbal assents all round.

There are almost 7,500 Mormons in India, according to the LDS Church, one of the most organized religious bodies in the world. Like all religious groups keen on increasing their numbers, the church is now looking eastward, toward India to share Joseph Smith’s message.

On numbers alone, conversion in India hasn’t happened as quickly as in Latin America, but that isn’t holding back the missionary fervor of those who have already embraced the church’s teachings. Ever since elders from the Quorum of the Twelve, while visiting Bangalore in 1992, announced a “prophecy” that New Delhi would have a temple, serious efforts are underway to get there.

Anuradha Yadav, 24, is one new Mormon who is dedicated to seeing a temple in New Delhi. Born into a traditional Hindu family of the Yadav caste, Anuradha recalls questioning her faith early on, when she was 14 years old.

“I kept asking questions, and I started visiting churches. In all I visited 30 churches.” One year of church shopping later, Anuradha was even more confused. Then in 2006 she bumped into two young elders on the street who shared the Book of Mormon with her.

She read it cover to cover and felt renewed. “I knelt down and prayed. That was such a wonderful moment. I felt as if somebody had just made me calm,” she said, tearing up at the memory.

Two of the women in the front row at the Sister’s Committee meeting were from Anuradha’s family: her mother, Saraswati, and her sister-in-law, Hema. Dressed traditionally in a blue sari, her hair tied up in a neat bun with a bindi on her forehead, Saraswati came to the church after she saw a miraculous change in her daughter.

“The church changed Anuradha and taught her so much patience and kindness. I was attracted to Christianity myself as a child because I had a Christian friend and I always wanted to go to church with her but my father never let me.”

Most of the people gathered here were either recent converts or those interested in joining the church. Of the five elders in the room, two were young Americans on the 18-month mission that is part of every young Mormon’s coming of age in the church.

Elder Dyck, 20, from Sacramento, Calif., had just completed the first year of his mission. “We speak a lot to people on the road as we’re walking around our delegated areas. It’s hard here to attract people,” he admitted, “but the positives really outweigh the negatives.”

To Indian converts, one of Mormonism’s greatest attractions is the existence of the living prophet. “We have a living prophet who is leading and guiding us right now,” an Indian elder told the Bible Study group.

Like Elder Dyck, Anuradha, also went on a conversion mission to Andhra Pradesh in the country’s south, where Mormons have had the most success in attracting Indians. “My father was not happy that I was going away for 18 months but I went anyway.” Once dismissive of idol worship and reincarnation, Anuradha employed patience and understanding in reaching out to others instead of mocking her birth religion.

Over the course of that mission, Anuradha converted 30 people. Outside her mission, she’s converted at least 10 other people, including her mother, two brothers, a sister, a sister-in-law and three close friends. For her, as for many of those who attend church at the several New Delhi missions, Mormonism is a no-brainer.

“I learned how to be a good daughter, a good sister, to respect everyone and be kind to everyone,” Anuradha said. “I really know that this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ and my life really has changed.”

More from Global Post:

Ford bets on India

India’s Monsoon economy

Identity issues in India

Comments
34 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

This is a very cool article. As I mentioned at the Global Post article’s comments section I’ve written quite a bit about the Mormon Church in India. http://www.mormonworld.org

The website even has a regular contributor from India who writes for the website. I’ve written about the history of the LDS Church in India as well as the potential for a Mormon temple in New Delhi some day. I would love to correspond with anyone who is a Mormon from India or interested in this topic. Please visit the website for more info.

DH

I am an atheist and a Hindu.
Seems contradictory? No it is not. Hinduism gives me the freedom to not to pray to any god and still be a good human being. Thats Dharma and Karma combined.
What am I doing on this blog?
Let people choose their own path.
Moreover, why don’t I find articles on Hinduism and its philospohies (there are many) by global post? not even in the faith world. Its only the abrahmic religions that get spoken about. Why not east asian or indian religions?
Call me a sceptic but this doesn’t sound right on international forums.

Posted by Aman | Report as abusive

Why not let people follow their own faith. These conversions do no good. Like Mormons or whoever, the people of an existing religion have their own principles. Why should they go around converting, those being attracted are these gullible poor looking for that small gift being given if they convert. Is this the essence to be pulled into a particular faith. Why not let people choose rather than using such ‘cheap means’ to convert ?

Posted by Yugesh | Report as abusive

Right, they say Indians are intolerant and minorities have no rights in this country. Is this the message that this post sends out? Make up your minds please.

Posted by Dara | Report as abusive

This is so disgusting. This looks like some kind of an advertisement. What is it with the christians who want to convert people?And you call that a mission?? What kind of a mission is that???
In the article, it is mentioned that during her teens, Anuradha started questioning her faith and was very confused. Is this what the conversion agencies/agents look for?? Vulnerable people who can be manipulated??

Posted by Daya | Report as abusive

“Anuradha was even more confused. ”
She still is. How can anyone follow this crazy cult.

Read about the Isis and Horus Egyptian Myth. Jesus’s existence is a hoax. He is a mental construct derived from older myths.

Posted by AgniVayu | Report as abusive

after reading this article i feel that reuters is trying to spread christianity in india.

I agree with aman lot of my friends are atheist but they can be hindus as it gives them room and freedom to be what they believe. before buddhism , carvaka was big on atheistic philosophy.

hinduism is actually a bunch of philosophies formulated by thinkers over time by debating and discussing. that is why we don’t have the concept or prophets or one man religion.

Dara so true, they beat both sides of the drum. one side they call india intolerant to minorities and other side this crap. now who is hypocritical.

Posted by vivek | Report as abusive

These are some of the worst thought out comments I have ever seen…

You proudly say “Let people choose their own religion.”, yet you, with vitriol, discourage the very things that allow them to make an informed decision. And the ones who do choose contrary to you believe you call “gullible” and accuse them of seeking handouts. YOU are the ones not wanting people to make their own decision concerning their beliefs and religion. Shame on you.

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Well written article. Very interesting to hear a Christian religion is having some success in one of the biggest idol worshiping countries in the world. A religion like this that helps people become better people is good. For the other posters on this board: Not all Indians in India are poor guilible people. This is a an ignorant statement. A rich man or poor man can choose with his heart what is good or evil. However, a poor humble man is more likely to listen to the promptings of God’s spirit. Remember the Savior’s parents rode into Bethlehem on a donkey not a golden chariot.

Posted by Paul | Report as abusive

Why the bashing on proselytism? If you have something in your life that has helped you and brought joy to you and your family, aren’t you inclined to share it with others? In fact wouldn’t that actually be the most charitable and caring thing you could do? It seems selfish to keep something to yourself if you feel it could help others. The idea that proselytism doesn’t allow people to choose and follow their own path is absurd. There is no force involved. It essentially involves presenting basic information about the faith and asking if someone wants to know more. To imply that these converts can’t make their own decisions because some happen to be poor sounds elitist and bigoted.

Do these missionaries personally benefit from what they do? On the contrary, it is a great sacrifice for them and their families as they pay part or all of their own living expenses while serving. Aside from proselyting, a good portion of their time is also spent in service to the community. The world needs more people like this who are willing to sacrifice in this way to help others.

Posted by JJN | Report as abusive

This post teaches patience and respect for other religions, not intolerance. And proselytizing helps, doesn’t hurt, people. Religion and faith are two of the most personal and meaningful choices people can make. If you find peace in your religion or in no religion, respectfully refuse those offering to share another religion. When someone offers you something that is of the highest value to them, like their faith, it’s a great honor, even if you aren’t interested.

And what about those who don’t find peace and satisfaction in the faith of their birth? Should they be robbed of a choice to accept a different religion?

Proselytizing is an effective way to for those searching and those offering to find each other. I’m glad people are willing share their religion for my benefit, even when I’m not interested.

Posted by Open Minded | Report as abusive

Part I

I’ll share my experience. I came across a website who was offering free Book of Mormon. I applied for it giving my address and details. The result, two “brothers” around the age of 20 came to see me at my office. After an initial introduction, they persuaded me to attend a church on Sunday. I politely refused because I used to work long hours in my weekdays and weekends were very precious to me. Moreover, I was only interested in getting the free book (honest) so that I can read more about Christianity. But they won’t give me any and their sole purpose of coming to me was to take me to their church.

Anyways, I myself was 20ish and our conversation shifted to career. I casually (but genuinely) asked them about their plans for their career. They mentioned that they had done their high schooling and after that they were a church’s mission for 2-3 years. I scolded them in a friendly manner about taking their career seriously. They were nice guys but appeared confused none the less. One of them mentioned that they get paid a stipend of 3000 rupees a month for doing this service. I reasoned hard with them to make them understand that they could do much better than 3000 rupees if they focus on their careers with right education and keep religion on the back burner until they get established in the life. Well that was my philosophy. Cheerful (looked like they appreciated my advice like any younger brother would) they left me with the “promise” of considering their life in this new light. I can;t say for sure whether they returned to their Tamilian village or continued in the “Service” of church.

Posted by Religion is Internal | Report as abusive

Hope it works now

A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.
The Rig Veda, the most ancient Hindu scripture, says this: “Truth is One, but the sages speak of it by many names.” A Hindu believes there are many paths to God. Jesus is one way, the Qur’an is another, yoga practice is a third. None is better than any other; all are equal. The most traditional, conservative Christians have not been taught to think like this. They learn in Sunday school that their religion is true, and others are false. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.”
Americans are no longer buying it. According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that “many religions can lead to eternal life”—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves “spiritual, not religious,” according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for “the divine-deli-cafeteria religion” as “very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You’re not picking and choosing from different religions, because they’re all the same,” he says. “It isn’t about orthodoxy. It’s about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that’s great, too.”

Posted by rajeev | Report as abusive

Christianity, like other religions of peace, is great when it follows the Golden Rule.
Folks, Mormonism is an off-shoot of Christianity. The guy that founded it said an angel, in the U.S., told him where to find these “magic tablets” buried in the dirt – you may think I am kidding – but this is part of their belief. That, and giving their church 10% of what you earn in a year – they have nice temples. While they seem harmless enough, the experience of my family was to be shut out of our converted family members’ lives. We all have to live our lives, but, buyer beware.

Posted by Misty | Report as abusive

The tone of the article does seem advertorial and I agree with those complain about the publicity Abrahamic religions receiving more publicity than is probably warranted. You don’t see so much written about Taoism, Buddhism or Hinduism though these constitute a very major force in the World of today. The vitriol on proselytisers, to some extent, arises because of a deep seated frustration of those who loose parts of their flock to others. That in itself is divisive and God never could have intended that the path to divinity divide humans. The reason, I think, Anuradha and her family members, who converted, did so because they only saw the rituals and the many Gods that we Hindus are socially conditioned to accept. They have never been shown the path that Hinduism offers – the value system is never spoken about, no one tells of the way in which the principles of Dharma really apply – the only ones who receive the true teachings of Hinduism are those who wish to study them. It is not imparted to the masses… because Hinduism has never been a religion – its a way of life. I am not a supporter of bigotry in any form and I believe that the only way to achieve peace and feel the presence of God in my life, is to live and let others live the way they want to. If I can help any other in my way path, I thank God for the opportunity.

Posted by A believer in God | Report as abusive

It is not proselytizing that is the problem. The constitution of this country advocates it. The real problem is when coercion and promises are held out to people who are desperately looking for straws to grab at. If anyone thinks that this doesn’t happen in India, they are either in denial or strangers to this country.

I wonder why those who come here to share the benefits of a better life and salvation with the local population don’t find it in their hearts to go pontificating to countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. Or do they?

Posted by Dara | Report as abusive

All religions are the same, or radically different from each other, depending entirely on how you interpret them. At one point, however, all organised religions are detrimental– they erode the ability of people to think critically. It amounts to blasphemy to believe in certain tenets of a religion and question others. This goes on to show that any given religion today is an organisation more than a philosophy. The Mormons should realise that people’s willingness to convert is an act of politics/convinience rather than an endorsement of the Christian philosophy. We are just too lazy to think, and draw up our own personal religions. Its like eating canned food when does not feel upto cooking.

Posted by abraham | Report as abusive

Just thought that someone might be interested in knowing that the name for the Women’s group at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Relief Society, and their motto/creed is Charity Never Faileth. These women spend hours doing humanitarian work helping every nation in the world, no matter what religious faith the people have. They attempt to emulate the Love of the Savior Jesus Christ for all people. If you are not a Christian, does not matter, if you or people need help, then it is offered by this church.

Posted by Wilma Aebischer | Report as abusive

Freedom of choice requires a knowledge of the choices available. If you don’t allow them to proselyte, then how can there really be a choice?

Posted by PI | Report as abusive

Just for the record — readers who compare posting this article to advertising for Christianity or proselytism do not understand why we put it up there. Mormonism is a U.S.-based church that is expanding around the world and information about its activities outside the U.S. should be of interest to readers of this blog. The fact it deals with India is incidental — we would have been just as ready to post an article about Mormonism growing in, say, Brazil or South Africa. Some readers also seem to feel India gets undue notice in religion news. It wouldn’t if it weren’t so religiously diverse and religion were not such a public issue there.

On August 18, a comment was made, in part, that said—

“I really don’t appreciate proselytism. This is like an advertisement for christanity. This is what sews hatered and discontent in the society.
Let people choose their own path.”

Of course, one cannot necessarily change this person’s dislike for “proselytism”. However, is this commentator suggesting that no news stories ever feature what a religion different from the religion of the majority does, whether it is Christian or otherwise?

And, really, “Mormons” (members of ‘The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints’) want everyone to choose their own path. However, if there are no alternatives allowed, how is there any genuine choice?

Posted by diligentdave | Report as abusive

It might interest readers to know that the Mormon Church has given over 32 million US dollars to India in the form of Humanitarian Relief Projects over the past 20 years. These projects have included such things as wheel chairs, clean water to rural villages, eye clinics, emergency relief projects, and the like. Each project is carefully chosen to impact the most people and teach self reliance as well as relieve pain and suffering. 99% of this funding comes from outside India and is given regardless of religious beliefs or preferences.

Posted by Norm Fairbanks | Report as abusive

@diligentdave
Ans: To a large extent yes.
Can you give me example (in faith world blog) of what Taoism, Confusinism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Shintoism, etc preach?

The reason for me not liking prostelyism is that I have seen nuns offering economic assitance on the condition people convert to christanity. Can you justify that?

For those who are demented enough to say that prostelyism is good. I completely disagree in a society with multiple beliefs, saying that my god is the only true god won’t do any good. Only blind can’t see that.

Some ask then how will people come to know about other religions. Then I guess there is enough material for that already and the true sercher will reach his/her goal if he/she tries hard enough.

I am not against any particular religion, Do it in your own backyard, peacefully and quietly there is nothing wrong with it. If someone gets attracted and asks then you can tell him/her there is nothing wrong with that either. I am against unabashed advertisements of religion.

Posted by Aman | Report as abusive

Aman,

It is interesting to me to see that all but one of several posts I have made here have been “scrubbed”. If you have a problem with “advertisements” and “proselytism”, I have a problem with censorship, which obviously is even being practiced by Reuters in scrubbing my other comments from these responses to this ‘blog story’ on Mormonism.

So, Aman, I can do anything I want, but only as long as it is done “quietly”, and that, only in my “backyard”.

My religion, so-called “Mormonism”, quietly proselytizes in its own “backyard”. There are several missions in Utah, as well as throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America. I served a mission in the early 1970′s in Catholic/Atheistic France. Mormon missions and missionaries are found throughout Europe. They are in Russia. They are in Africa. They are in the Pacific (as early as the 1850′s, Mormon missionaries were proselytizing in Hawaii, then not part of the United States.

We have had missionaries in Japan, South Korea, the Phillippines, etc for a half a century or longer. Actually attempts at preaching in India by Mormons were first attempted in the 19th century! This is not new to us.

I am not for the kind proselyting of the sort you say that Catholic nuns have done in India. But don’t judge all efforts by those of one or a few groups. I won’t judge you by negative things I have seen, heard or read are done by some in India.

Posted by diligentdave | Report as abusive

hi i know that the church of jesus christ is true church in this earth and book of mormon is the word of god. and sister anu was a good example for others that how to be a good member in the lds

Posted by poila | Report as abusive

I’m an Indian living in Salt Lake City, Utah – The Vatican of Mormonism. Let me give you an inside view of the Mormons. They are good people but they really have ridiculous beliefs and they actually believe they are true. They don’t believe in evolution, climate change or other established scientific theories. They believe the earth was created 6000 years ago. Their prophet, Joseph Smith was a con man, really well known as such. He was into polygamy, married several young girls and even wives of other men, saying it was what God revealed to him as the way to ascend to heavenly kingdom. He even aspired to become the president of the US and called himself the ‘King of Israel’. When a few disillusioned followers tried to expose his polygamous practices, he destroyed their printing press, fled to some other place and was arrested there. Eventually, an angry mob killed him there. Their scriptures, The Book of Mormon, was written by this Joseph Smith. It contains some racist teachings like only white people are ‘pure and delightsome’, the dark skinned people were sinners and if they pray hard enough they can turn into white people too.

They do not reveal any of these hidden details until you join their church, emotionally invest in them to the point where you don’t think of quitting. They ask you to pay 10% of your income as ‘donation’ or tithing as they call it, to their church. They use this money to help poor people, for building temples but at the same time they use it to lobby against gay marriage, build shopping malls. Basically, they are run their church as a for profit business. If you don’t pay 10%, then you do not get a ‘temple recommend’, meaning you are not worthy of entering the temple where they worship, conduct weddings, etc. Besides, they ask intrusive questions about your sex life (oral sex, masturbation) during these ‘interviews’ for temple recommends every year.

My advice to people in India is not to be fooled. We have already been fooled by countless religious leaders, Hindu, Christian or Muslim. We don’t need another hate-mongering group amongst us who manipulate people’s feelings to impose their beliefs on other people. Finally, we are trying to come out of the dark ages, we don’t need to go into one again.

Finally, I challenge any Mormon to prove I am wrong on any of the above mentioned facts.

Posted by Raff916 | Report as abusive

Raff,
1. Temple recommend interviews are carefully scripted (you can find the questions online), and do not include explicit questions about sexual practices
2. The for-profit businesses owned by the church are separate corporations unconnected to tithing funds. Even so, the profits from church-owner corporations are largely redirected to charitable projects, and absolutely none of it goes to church leaders’ pockets.
3. Many Mormons (myself included) accept global warming, evolution, etc. The church has no position on these issues, so whatever members believe is their own responsibility. It has to do with education, not church membership.
4. The racist interpretation of the Book of Mormon you give is grossly outdated. It hails from a period when racism was the law of the land in the US.
5. Every kid in the US wants to be president. It’s ridiculous to fault someone for wanting to change the world through politics. That’s called democracy.
6. The golden plates weren’t magical. They were just an ancient record inscribes on a metal that wouldn’t deteriorate. Similar ancient records have been found elsewhere (ie metal books), so although Joseph’s story is highly unusual and perhaps unlikely, it isn’t as ridiculous as you try to make it sound. No more so than Moses’ stone tablets.

Posted by Anonymous | Report as abusive

Raff,
I do not understand how Hindus can criticize others for racism when caste system is still prevalent in their society. Till today, harijans (lower caste people) are not allowed to marry in upper caste or enter in to temples. Lower caste women are continued to be raped even in police stations and they have no law protections. Even sandhus / temple priests are accused of rapes. Raff – why don’t you introspect your society before criticizing others. Talking about polygamy, Goddess Drapudi had 5 husbands and Lord Krishna had countless numbers of wives. Do you want more example of polygamy from Hindu holy books?

Posted by Ullas | Report as abusive

Ullas,

Didn’t you read my comment? I am no more a Hindu than a Christian. I am human. I oppose any form of religious indoctrination. Let reason lead the way forward.

I do not endorse casteism in any way by explaining to you the difference between casteism and racism. To dismiss your argument, Caste discrimination in India is undeniable but caste and race are entirely distinct. The Caste system does not demarcate racial division, does not say one group was cursed by God and that they should be eternally be slaves. The Caste system is a social division of people of the same race, based on a concept called Karma. Hindus believe that the karma of previous life will determine the caste an individual will be (re)born into. Caste system must be viewed as a system of exploitation of poor low-ranking groups by more prosperous high-ranking groups.

“Lower caste women are continued to be raped even in police stations and they have no law protections.”

Despicable law and order situation. Women of any status group are not safe in India.

“Even sandhus / temple priests are accused of rapes.”

Again, no contest. Shows you no religion is true.

“Goddess Drapudi had 5 husbands and Lord Krishna had countless numbers of wives”

This is mythology. Mormon polygamy was not mythology. As far as I know, nobody called themselves prophet and said Krishna threatened him to institute polygamy or polyandry with a raised sword.

Posted by Raff916 | Report as abusive

It seems to me that Raff916′s comments are the most objective, reasonable and unemotional. This article reeks of aggressive proselytizing for the controversial and immature Mormon sect. And before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I am not getting into a religious debate – I myself believe that Hinduism is just a bunch of silly old rituals masquerading as a religion.

Posted by adjinn | Report as abusive

In response to Anonymous.

1) Temple recommend interviews are online, yes. I have seen them. For example, there is a question in it. “Do you live the law of chastity?” If the member doesn’t understand, then they ask pointed questions about private matters. Several exmormons who have been indoctrinated since age one testify to this. Also, search “To young men only” in Google for a pamphlet from one of the apostles regarding this matter.

2) I don’t think Jesus is real but would Jesus wish money to be made in his name and used for building a grandiose temple with marble floors, glass ceilings and gold plated statues?
“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” Matthew 19:24

3) I have been to Mormon institute classes. They actively preach that evolution is a theory and that earth is 6000 years old made out of different planets as raw material. Hence, dinosaur fossils. Climate change is laughed at because their reasoning is God provided resources for humans to use and as such there is nothing to fear if you do as Lord commanded.

Posted by Raff916 | Report as abusive

4) Racist interpretation is grossly outdated? The civil rights law was passed in 1964. Yet it took the mormon church 14 years to finally get a ‘revelation’ from God that it was OK for blacks to enter temples. Black skin was a curse and it’d turn white if you were faithful and obedient to God. This is in the Book of Mormon. Either the Book of Mormon is wrong or you skipped reading them. “Oh, we Mormons would have been persecuted much more if we had given equal rights to our black brethren”. If you think of using this as a reply, stop and think how stupid it is.

5) Yes, democracy is good. But the US constitution has enshrined the separation of church and the state. What LDS church did was active participation in the matters of state by coercing their members to contribute time and money to something that discriminates against a minority. Jesus would be very proud you helped denying your fellow brothers and sisters equal rights.

5) Wait, what? when did they turn from reality to myth? You don’t think joseph smith translated ancient metal plates with this head in a hat with two magic stones? Either you’re a bad mormon apologist or someone coming to their senses.

Posted by Raff916 | Report as abusive

Mormonism… Well no problem with it, and great to know that India got mormons too.

Posted by Rupay | Report as abusive

Seems like there are several important issues about this article.

1) Mormons being in India is an example of freedom of religion which those who value that right should be happy to see it in practice.

2) Some people’s opinion about what is a valid religion or not. Personally, I have not found any religion I can say I 100% believe in and most religions have obvious falsehoods and myths in them. In comparison, I see nothing to indicate Mormonism is any more or less valid than virtually any other religion I know of, though I like several other religions much more than Mormonism.

3) polygamy, is it good or evil? I believe this strikes directly into the heart of “Are individuals free or not”. I favor freedom, so long as no one else is harmed. While I am married for 17 years monogamously in a heterosexual relationship, I believe people should have the right of choice. If 3 men and 4 women all choose to live in a single marriage with each other, that should be their right; just as if one of them decides to leave the marriage, that is their right too.

For any country or religion to make consensual polygamy illegal is a violation of people’s free will and their basic Human Rights.

Posted by Zarath | Report as abusive