Interview with BJP leader Narendra Modi

By Reuters Staff
July 12, 2013

By Ross Colvin and Sruthi Gottipati

Narendra Modi is a polarising figure, evoking visceral reactions across the political spectrum. Critics call him a dictator while supporters believe he could make India an Asian superpower. (Read a special report on Modi here)

Reuters spoke to Modi at his official Gandhinagar residence in a rare interview, the first since he was appointed head of the BJP’s election campaign in June.

Here are edited excerpts from the interview. The questions are paraphrased and some of Modi’s replies have been translated from Hindi.

Is it frustrating that many people still define you by 2002?
People have a right to be critical. We are a democratic country. Everyone has their own view. I would feel guilty if I did something wrong. Frustration comes when you think “I got caught. I was stealing and I got caught.” That’s not my case.

Do you regret what happened?
I’ll tell you. India’s Supreme Court is considered a good court today in the world. The Supreme Court created a special investigative team (SIT) and top-most, very bright officers who overlook oversee the SIT. That report came. In that report, I was given a thoroughly clean chit, a thoroughly clean chit. Another thing, any person if we are driving a car, we are a driver, and someone else is driving a car and we’re sitting behind, even then if a puppy comes under the wheel, will it be painful or not? Of course it is. If I’m a chief minister or not, I’m a human being. If something bad happens anywhere, it is natural to be sad.

Should your government have responded differently?
Up till now, we feel that we used our full strength to set out to do the right thing.

But do you think you did the right thing in 2002?
Absolutely. However much brainpower the Supreme Being has given us, however much experience I’ve got, and whatever I had available in that situation and this is what the SIT had investigated.

Do you believe India should have a secular leader?
We do believe that … But what is the definition of secularism? For me, my secularism is, India first. I say, the philosophy of my party is ‘Justice to all. Appeasement to none.’ This is our secularism.

Critics say you are an authoritarian, supporters say you are a decisive leader. Who is the real Modi?
If you call yourself a leader, then you have to be decisive. If you’re decisive then you have the chance to be a leader. These are two sides to the same coin … People want him to make decisions. Only then they accept the person as a leader. That is a quality, it’s not a negative. The other thing is, if someone was an authoritarian then how would he be able to run a government for so many years? … Without a team effort how can you get success? And that’s why I say Gujarat’s success is not Modi’s success. This is the success of Team Gujarat.

What about the suggestion that you don’t take criticism?
I always say the strength of democracy lies in criticism. If there is no criticism that means there is no democracy. And if you want to grow, you must invite criticism. And I want to grow, I want to invite criticism. But I’m against allegations. There is a vast difference between criticism and allegations. For criticism, you have to research, you’ll have to compare things, you’ll have to come with data, factual information, then you can criticize. Now no one is ready to do the hard work. So the simple way is to make allegations. In a democracy, allegations will never improve situations. So, I’m against allegations but I always welcome criticism.

On his popularity in opinion polls
I can say that since 2003, in however many polls have been done, people have selected me as the best chief minister. And as best chief minister, it wasn’t just people from Gujarat who liked me, not like that. People outside of Gujarat have also voted like that for me. One time, I wrote a letter to the India Today Group’s Aroon Purie. I requested him – “Every time I’m a winner, so next time please drop Gujarat, so someone else gets a chance. Or else I’m just winning. Please keep me out of the competition. And besides me, give someone else a shot at it.”

Allies and people within the BJP say you are too polarizing a figure
If in America, if there’s no polarization between Democrats and Republicans, then how would democracy work? It’s bound (to happen). In a democracy there will be a polarization between Democrats and Republicans.

This is democracy’s basic nature. It’s the basic quality of democracy. If everyone moved in one direction, would you call that a democracy?

But allies and partners still find you controversial
Up till now, no one from my party or the people who are allied with us, I’ve never read nor heard any official statement (about this from them). It might have been written about in the media. They write in a democracy … and if you have any name that this person is there in the BJP who said this, then I can respond.

How will you persuade minorities including Muslims to vote for you?
First thing, to Hindustan’s citizens, to voters, Hindus and Muslims, I’m not in favour of dividing. I’m not in favour of dividing Hindus and Sikhs. I’m not in favour of dividing Hindus and Christians. All the citizens, all the voters, are my countrymen. So my basic philosophy is, I don’t address this issue like this. And that is a danger to democracy also. Religion should not be an instrument in your democratic process.

If you become PM, which leader would you emulate?
The first thing is, my life’s philosophy is and what I follow is: I never dream of becoming anything. I dream of doing something. So to be inspired by my role models, I don’t need to become anything. If I want to learn something from Vajpayee, then I can just implement that in Gujarat. For that, I don’t have to have dreams of (higher office in) Delhi. If I like something about Sardar Patel, then I can implement that in my state. If I like something about Gandhiji, then I can implement that. Without talking about the Prime Minister’s seat, we can still discuss, that yes, from each one we have to learn the good things.

On the goals the next government should achieve
Look, whichever new government comes to power, that government’s first goal will be to fix the confidence that is broken in people.
The government tries to push a policy. Will it continue that policy or not? In two months, if they face pressure, will they change it? Will they do something like — an event happens now and they’ll change a decision from 2000? If you change decisions from the past, you will bring the policy back-effects. Who in the world will come here?
So whichever government comes to power, it would need to give people confidence, it should build the trust in people, “yes, in policies there will be consistency”, if they promise people something, they will honor that promise, they will fulfil. Then you can position yourself globally.

People say economic development in Gujarat is hyped up
In a democracy, who is the final judge? The final judge is the voter. If this was just hype, if this was all noise, then the public would see it every day. “Modi said he would deliver water.” But then he would say “Modi is lying. The water hasn’t reached.” Then why would he like Modi? In India’s vibrant democracy system, and in the presence of vibrant political parties, if someone chooses him for the third time, and he gets close to a two-third majority then people feel what is being said is true. Yes, the road is being paved, yes, work is being done, children are being educated. There are new things coming for health. 108 (emergency number) service is available. They see it all. So that’s why someone might say hype or talk, but the public won’t believe them. The public will reject it. And the public has a lot of strength, a lot.

Should you be doing more for inclusive economic growth?
Gujarat is a state that people have a lot of expectations from. We’re doing a good job, that’s why the expectations are high. As they should be. Nothing is wrong.

On indicators like malnutrition, infant mortality
Infant mortality has improved tremendously in Gujarat, tremendously. Compared to every other state in Hindustan, we are a better performing state. Second thing, malnutrition, in Hindustan today, real-time data is not available. When you don’t have real time data, how are you going to analyse?

We do believe in inclusive growth, we do believe that the benefits of this development must reach to the last person and they must be the beneficiary. So this is what we’re doing.

People want to know who is the real Modi – Hindu nationalist leader or pro-business chief minister?
I’m nationalist. I’m patriotic. Nothing is wrong. I’m a born Hindu. Nothing is wrong. So, I’m a Hindu nationalist so yes, you can say I’m a Hindu nationalist because I’m a born Hindu. I’m patriotic so nothing is wrong in it. As far as progressive, development-oriented, workaholic, whatever they say, this is what they are saying. So there’s no contradiction between the two. It’s one and the same image.

On Brand Modi and people behind the PR strategy
The western world and India – there’s a huge difference between them. Here, India is such a country that a PR agency will not be able to make a person into anything. Media can’t make anything of a person. If someone tries to project a false face in India, then my country reacts badly to it. Here, people’s thinking is different. People won’t tolerate hypocrisy for very long. If you project yourself the way you actually are, then people will accept even your shortcomings. Man’s weaknesses are accepted. And they’ll say, yes, okay, he’s genuine, he works hard. So our country’s thinking is different. As far as a PR agency is concerned, I have never looked at or listened to or met a PR agency. Modi does not have a PR agency. Never have I kept one.

(You can follow Ross on Twitter at @rosscolvin and Sruthi @GoSruthi)

For timeline on the rise of Modi, click here

For a picture profile of Modi, click here

For Modi’s statements that made news; click here

He is know one who knows how to do the best use of India Media.. KeepUp good work Modiji…

Posted by Chakradhara | Report as abusive

The man is clear headed and no-nonsense. Critics evaluate him on the basis of data, opponents spew venom, media catch on his perceived flaws or if not anything, they have 2002 riots. He is one leader who has been in the eye of storm. Every bit of Modi is torn into shreds, yet he has come out on top. The tragedy of a successful leader in politics is fully illustrated in the case of Narender Modi. PR or no PR, he is in the forefront of the race for the top slot if BJP alliance manages the required numbers.

Posted by Menonchandran | Report as abusive

Perfect answers to perfect question. I like the way Reuters publishing the interviews. Your interviews news are wrongly edited by Indian Media. This is not good for the democracy. Indians should give a good answer to such media. We eagerly expect NAMO to be our next PM.

Posted by SatishKNair | Report as abusive

WHAT SECULARISM ??? WHAT COMMUNALISM ??? Muslim mob of over thousand people burnt alive hundreds of hindus at godhra Station in 2002 by pouring kerosine and petrol !!! Did Narendra Modi came with an AK47 on streets in ahemadabad to kill muslims ??? WHy is he called MAUT KA SAUDAGAR ??? IF he is blamed for Ahemadabad riots because he was CM at the time , Why Rajiv Gandhi is not MAUT KA SAUDAGAR since thousands of innocent Sikhs were killed by KHANgress workers in Delhi , during his tenure as PM, Why CM Sudhakar Rao Naik of KHAngress party not called MAUT KA SAUDAGAR–for mumbai riots of 1992 took place during his tenure ( WIKIPEDIA ON Sudhakar Rao Naik—”"His tenure was notorious for the “severe failure” to control the Bombay Riots”" ??? After constructing hundreds of flyovers/roads/hospitals did Narendra Modi put a board there that only hindus will use them ??? After bringing thousands of new jobs by setting up an excellent environment for industries in Gujarat, did he made a law that only hindus will get these jobs ??? Did he said that only hindus have right over Gujarat resources ??? IF he developed Gujarat , all communities there are getting benifit whether its hindu, muslim , christian or sikh. But just compare this with PM Manmohan Singh’s remark “”"Muslims have first share in India’s resources”"” or with Karnataka CM’s very first order after taking oath “”" Cow slaughter will be legal now in Karnataka “”" !!!!!!!!!!!! What if Narendra Modi would have made it a law to serve PORK in all Govt schools/Colleges ??????? Tell me PSEUDO SICULAR BRIGADE OF INDIA , Does favouring only one community/religion means SECULARISM ??????

Posted by Rajesh_Sankunni | Report as abusive

What Narendra Modi told in this interview are facts but in another article all the interview was twisted and maligned.We did not expected Reuters to be impartial, prejudicial and biased while presenting news and views.The Journo with Reuters must know the duty of a journo and putting up facts without being biased and anti

Posted by mbhagawat | Report as abusive

Awesome interview…take a bow…congress simply says secularism and they will start protecting terrsts..whats wrong with being hindu ?
i will support him and vote him.

Posted by sill | Report as abusive

Modi 2014. We can do it!

Citizens must see through the false allegations of 2002 Gujarat riots. An unfortunate event has been targeted by the UPA and paid media to create a bad image for Shri Modi. Using words like ‘dictator’ for someone who has WON elections THRICE by a clear majority is just ridiculous. If he was a dictator and an oppressor, he would’ve been replaced years ago.

He is also falsely alleged to have taken a part in the propagation of riots. In a modern day justice system, no man should be called guilty unless proven. All of the world’s great democracies and judiciaries go by this basic understanding because this defines the people of any society. If we start delivering justice based on what we feel or what we think might have happened; rather than the facts and truth, we would just go farther from having an efficient and trustworthy system of law and order. If Modi had a hand in the riots, there is no way that not a single evidence has surfaced in the last 10 years. Saying Modi had a hand in the riots is like saying that US faked the moon landings- a completely baseless allegation!

He is a visionary and a man of high values and ethics. He is indeed “bharat bhagya vidhata”

Jai Hind! Jai Modi!

Posted by Modi4PM | Report as abusive

Something I noticed in this article..
I am educated and I am patriotic.. I love my nation..
When I read a chapter in my english textbook ‘The Last Lesson’ by Alphonse Daudet.. The chapter tells the importance of our Mother Tongue and Cleared out a Difference between A Nation & A Country.
A question arised in my mind.. my country’s name is INDIA.. it not a meaningful word, whereas we keep meaningful name in our culture.
So from that day I decided (for My Self).
My Country is INDIA (the geographical boundary inside which I reside)
but My NATION is Bharat/Hindustan..

Nation is a Country with soul. India was created in 1947, but my NATION is ageless, ‘Adi, ananta’..

Same essence I noticed in this interview, no where INDIA is referred But Hindustan!!
Love my Leader! Narendra Bhai Modi

Posted by Prasoon.Gupta | Report as abusive

These Congress, SP and others commenting on this interview dont even understand English Interview, instances. Unfortunate that these educated so called dont understand and give wrong interpretation. Why on Earth are you wetting your pants? He is with so clear vision with solutions to India.

Posted by Rajeshn15 | Report as abusive

cheeky little reuters staff – i like how u write HINDUSTAN – and not india, you had the interview in hindi and then u translate all words but not HINDUSTAN to INDIA, anyways we are proud of the fact that we have such a leader to look up to..you wanted controversy and page hits – you got it

Posted by doodleboy | Report as abusive

Perfect answers by Namo..Paid Indian Media twisted the statements for TRP they even equated Puppy to Muslims..Do some one tell Media basterds that there 400 hindus too were killed in 2002 Riots…They are twisting this statement by taking it out of context…Indian media credibility is declining day by day…

Posted by Bhismah | Report as abusive

Now a days, there are many politician in India and among all the politicians, there is only one leader named Narendra Modi deserves to be next India’s PM. And we can judge from his many points he gave in the interview, these sort of answers can be given by a well mannered and well capable politician only. We can never expect this simplicity from a hypocrisy politician.. I request to all my Indian friends to give the chance to Modiji to serve India.. We are just eagerly waiting for him to be PM of our country because country needs him now in every sector…

Posted by Jaideep123 | Report as abusive

Today all Paid Media of India gone berserk with the Interview of Namo to Reuters.They are showing all negative aspects by twisting the interview to satisfy their ego and biased mentality.What namo has told is true and we request Reuters to show actual video of the interview on all TV channels

Posted by mbhagawat | Report as abusive

Superbly answered by NaMo, dear modiji I only find u as our leader of India , who’s capable of handling 120 Cr people’s . The only non corrupt cm of India. Hats off to modiji.

Posted by manoj2800 | Report as abusive

While everyone is busy in criticizing/praising Modi, did any one notice the India map on the page 3 of the Report http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/13/07  /INDIA-MODI.pdf

Where is the missing part of Jammu and Kashmir.

Editor Please reply

Posted by RBagree | Report as abusive

Just as expected ….. brilliant views of the future pm..
and good job by both ross and shruthi

Posted by mikemehul | Report as abusive

Modi is a gem. His intellectual level is far beyond the level of other leaders in India. Such leaders comes in centuries. He rightly said about the confidence building. The next government has to build confidence among a common man. The next government has to fill the pot-holes made by the previous government. Very impressive interview. Good job Reuters.

Posted by Gajen | Report as abusive

Congress, SP, BSP, RJD, CPI, JDU are few political parties who identified themselves as SECULAR. Are they? Are they considering everyone equally? Are they appeasing specific community? Why are they scared of common civil code? Why do they shout they have done something for specific community? Why are they scared when talking about development?
I appreciate Narendra Modi’s thought on Development, Secularism.

Indian media is always biased, misinterpreting, on sale, unreliable, wastage of time, weakest pillar of democracy, circulates over hyped news in a manner that a cat on wall is national news and everybody is criminal. Chen se sona hai to jag jaiye.

Posted by Priyankj | Report as abusive

namo is a man who know what is he saying, nd there is nothing wrong in his interview. Media nd politician can telecast it in wrong way but people know what is he doing. I m also a HINDU PATRIOT. Nd no one can force me to change it.

Posted by Prafullbajpai | Report as abusive

Great interview. I would recommend any body blaming Mr. Modi just visits Gujarat once and see there that even a small village having around 50 houses have electricity 24*7 and roads are superb which one may even not find in the highways of other states. One more thing Gujarat it is safe for a girl to travel even at night 2 am but is this possible in other place ruled by Khangress like Delhi. Mr. Modi has done great job.

Posted by KINGANK | Report as abusive

I have visited this website, to verify the facts that are being distorted so very badly by the Indian Media. However in my collective wisdom I do not see anything offensive that the media in India are creating such a Ruckus. This just goes to show how pathetic is indian media when it comes to reporting and distorting facts.

Posted by Jussliketht | Report as abusive

A no-nonsensical posture from Mr. Modi, the leader India is looking forward to be led by. Sadly, in India there is a rat-race to define secularism with “Muslim Appeasement” (Other minorities who are meager in number don’t count at all in SECULAR SYSTEM of India).

As expected, the all so called “Secular” parties of India thrived on this interview and trying to cash on on his example of feeling pain showing his compassion by simply misinterpreting his statement and to my surprise it’s coming from so called intellectuals too. As if they have lost all sens of logic & reason.

All the best NaMo…!

Posted by AIndian | Report as abusive

Right now India is in a dire need of a capable leader who can steer this nation’s strength towards a sensible direction. This nation’s current situation is like a car without a competent designated driver to drive, therefore it’s wandering around without any destination to reach. In Modi we’re seeing an effective person who might bring change to this vexing circumstances.

Posted by smpt | Report as abusive

Shocking how even Reuters choose to publish their commentator views as that of Mr Modi, while the blog post shows clearly how none of those meaning can be derive from what was asked or what the response was. Shocking is how most “English” news channels in India are using Reuters interview clips without any sense of proprietary and adding their views around it.

Posted by ragh.rev | Report as abusive

This is not an Interview! This is an editorialized report and excerpts.
Reuters, why not publish the full transcript of the interview? Let the readers decide without your editorial inputs.
Are you ashamed of your questioning ability? Are you hiding your poorly formed questions? Why the edit

Please give reasons why you will not publish the full unedited interview. Thanks.

Posted by DocJanardan | Report as abusive

A candid interview. Narendra Modi does not owe an apology to anyone for calling himself as Hindu Nationalist. Congressmen and their misguided political friends have a problem identifying themselves with majority community who are a peaceful lot. We all know how Congress treated Sikhs in Delhi and what comments they offered in Batla House encounter. They have no right to be perverse in their definition of Secularism. Mr Modi – March on and we are with you

Posted by Aaha | Report as abusive

He is the man who has come out from all the false allegations made against him. He is a man with vision, work, honesty and great sense of leadership. Any society need such leaders. He has proved him self on development, good governance, disaster management, practicing clean politics.

I belong to a state where we have 24×7 electricity in even a town of having 1000 population. Roads are connecting each and every village with rest of the state. Aim to have 100% school enrollment and 0% drop out ration, under his leadership state is about to achieve very very soon. Gujarat is becoming a solar energy state and it hosts a largest solar plant in Asia under Mr.Modi’s leadership.

Regarding riots in 2002, it was unfortunate and should have no place in any civilized society. Having a riot full history of the state, this is the first decade which is free from riots. Is’t this a real good achievement?

Posted by JaykishanParikh | Report as abusive

Clever answer. I am Hindu nationalist because I am born a Hindu and am patriotic lol

Posted by Woman21 | Report as abusive

Great man.,

This man should be indina pm asap to get rid of all nonsense politics.

Indian politicians are stupid and just want to appease minorities

Media is also highly bias… twist things to make this man bad

but believe me it will not work people know truth

Posted by trueindia | Report as abusive

Great job

this man should be pm as ap

Posted by trueindia | Report as abusive

He is the real HERO our India. India media should learn” how to publish the interview”. NAMO is going to win in 2014. Jai ho

Posted by amar.petro | Report as abusive

What an interview from a true leader. He has a very clear vision about India. Only ModiJi can save India from these corrupt and dumb politicians. I have always been a big fan of ModiJi and will always be.

Posted by asp123 | Report as abusive

Very good article, i dont know what’s wrong with indian media, i was watching news in most of the channels (Times now, ndtv, ..etc).
All are focusing onlyn puppy comments. Do you channel guys not able to read other many good things what he said? Or you guys getting paid by CONGRESS?

Why the hell you guys are behind him. Go and look at congress history and news…

Indian media is the biggest enemy to india, i get irritated when you guys say indian people want to know and bullshit.

Its easy to sit at studio and say wahtever you guys want, but truth is intirely different. First learn all these…

And i am indian citizen not belonging to any party, i know all parties are corrupt. But congress i cant even imagine, just all devils.

I agree der are corrupt guys in BJP also, but most of the guys having hope on MODI. lets support him and bring some change to india and media guys please sit alone and think whatever your doing is correct…

Posted by srikanth11111 | Report as abusive

awesome answers to some awesome questions…those scared will percieve it in the way they want to…i vow my support to this deshbhakt

Posted by indiafirst | Report as abusive

the way the pseudo seculars have misunderstood this interview puts a question mark on their communicative and intellectual skills..

Posted by indiafirst | Report as abusive

Even when a puppy dies, we feel pain.
So obviously we feel pain when humans die.
Narendra Modi saw them as humans and not muslims

Posted by Italian | Report as abusive

i don’t get it clear that who these people are that allege him of being involved in the riots….are they above the highest court of the nation?..when the supreme court appointed SIT has cleared modi of any roll in the riots than how can they allege him for the same…this just tells that these people have no respect for the law of the land

Posted by indiafirst | Report as abusive

Narendra Damodar Modi is totally eligible for PM post and iam totally for this.There is no point in dragging the 2002 riots now. its past n its well said that past is past. he has done a lot for gujrath and its time for gujrath now.India needs a revolutino and its possible only wid modi.

Posted by AmrathPatel | Report as abusive

Great Interview…Team Studycafe blessings are with Narendra Modi…

Posted by studycafe | Report as abusive

Very interesting interview..I simply appriciate NAMO on his common sense…If you all can notice, only one channel is showing misleading news..But My dear media friend…we are educated Indian and know what is Truth.. We want Khangress to go out from center and NaMo as our PM… JAI HIND

Posted by Ashish_Mum | Report as abusive

A real Patriotic Leader for India, He is the one can Lead India as BHARATH. Peace and Harmony for everyone with great Pride.. Let Him Take PM Seat. JaiHind.

Posted by ritto | Report as abusive

This guy is only solution of country’s problem . The coming generation will read about respected Narender Modi in their books of social science.the youth India is with you go on ….

Posted by gauravkumar | Report as abusive

Bang Bang!!bingo interview NaMo NaMo.whats wrong wid dis media people,firstly dey are not telecasting the whole story and secondly dey are criticising modi.dat is truly unfair.they must come and read this interview with reuters.nothing wrong if he says he is hindu by birth,if a muslim says this then no one asks but y in case of hindu?hats off to this tiger….keep roaring like dis…we want to c u in parliament..

Posted by mail_mishra | Report as abusive

Awesome work..:)

Posted by DhirenNavani | Report as abusive

i
nterview of Narender Modi shows that he is not deserve to become prime minister as he did not appolised about incident in 2002 with Muslims and he is still adamant ,when he is seeing dream for ministership ,he must be polite to human being to accept his mistake ,being chief minister he can not say that he was not aware about incident if he was not aware then he is not deserve to become chief minister of Gujarat

Posted by mulslim | Report as abusive

Salute to NaMo. Hates off! You are the best choice for the leader. In spite of lot of criticism, you came out and projected as candidate of PM. Your talk gives clear picture of the strong leader that every citizen in the country needs. I strongly believe that you can fight all odds and lead the country and give prosperity like you have given to people of Gujarat.

Posted by Kalpesh_Indian | Report as abusive

I may choose to be a non practicing hindu relishing both pork and beef, its a free country, banning cow slaughter is a right wing mentality I may look up as an appeasement of a certain section, am not stopping anyone to be a vegetarian, why stop me from having my lunch!

Posted by ssoumyo | Report as abusive

Narendra Modi Bashing

Today it has become a fashion to bash Narendra Modi (NaMo). People need an object to punch thereby shielding their frustrations, inabilities, impotency, incompetency, etc. This bashing takes a more ugly turn when it becomes a paid one particularly at the behest of ISI. These people don’t want to see a rising India. It is unfortunate that some people from the BJP too could not set aside their personal ambitions for the sake of India OR they are playing in the hands of ISI ( remember Jinnah praise by Advani, to prove this point).
Rise of “NaMo” is inevitable. The Great Himalaya & the three seas are more eager to welcome NaMo at the national stage. History is evident that whenever people become hopeless, there rises a great leader, who leads the country.
Recent Nitish episode is the naked appeasement of Islam. What can be said about such a leader who visited Pakistan only to please Muslims (voters) staying in India. Sooner or later many districts of Bihar will be overrun by illegal Bangladeshis cockroaches who are already a majority in many adjoining border districts there. But this Topi loving C.M. doesn’t cares. These people don’t feel any respect & obligation towards fatherland. May be they are under the illusion that their fathers came from Arab! On the other hand people (?) like Lalu have made hard working Biharis a laughing stock!
Now take the Congress. This is such a traitor party that only needs elimination. “CONGRESS MUKT BHARAT” as said by NaMo. They are traitor since beginning- founded by an English to praise the Queen, back stabbed the Krantikaris, Nehru danced to the tunes of Edwina (planted by then GG) & gave all to the Pakistan, Nehru romanced with the Chinese & lovingly turned his back towards them (?), (in fact Nehru should be brought to justice for the deaths of Indian army men), are to name a few but the list is endless. Now this same congress party is dancing on an Italian tune. This Italian gyration if not stopped is sure going to harm us.
It is now the duty of every India loving person to come out of the home, internet, newspapers, TVs, etc & support NaMo. Only twitting or chatting on the net will not be sufficient, because NaMo is fighting for us against an army of cockroaches (do not die easily even we cut their head – read pseudo secular), locust (eating our natural resources – read Congress), parasites (read–Italian Congress), leeches (blood thirsty – read Islamic terrorists), etc.
http://namobashing.blogspot.in/2013/06/n arendra-modi-bashing.html?spref=tw

Posted by 143indians | Report as abusive

As always Mr. Modi is clear in his thoughts and gives direct answers to the questions. It is high time that politicians stop miss-interpreting his comments to appease a particular minority to gain votes. How often can he be blamed for Godhra and when can we start blaming leader/s for 1984 minority riots? A new chapter will be written in the History of India if people chose Mr. Modi as next prime minister of India. Corruption will definitely be reduced if not eliminated.

Posted by dayalds | Report as abusive

I am born Hindu, but athiest now. I am against hardcore Hindutva, dont care about cow slaughter etc. I am opposed to buuld Ram temple on top of Babri masjid.
But still I would vote for Modi. Modi is a businessman at heart. A businessman is a problem solver, doesn’t care for morals, he is only concerned about making profit, growth and progress. We need a businessman at this stage in India. We need a decisive leader who can lead India to progress to next level and for that I support Modi.

Posted by Namakumar | Report as abusive

Narendra modi says philosophy of his party is “justice to all (who r these all?-Hindus first) and appease none (does this mean that the Ayodhya controversial land site will have a hospital to serve humans?)”
on a simple question like “do you regret what happened in 2002?” he gets personal by saying “i have been given clean-chit” the question was not abt whether u think u r guilty (that question was already asked before this one) but on a simple question like did u regret the bloodshed, he sounded almost like Rajiv Gandhi.

Mr. Modi whats the difference between you and Rajiv Gandhi…you dont regret for 2002 bloodshed and so did the late Gandhi who felt shaking of earth was important after the tree came down with its roots in 1984…and yes they were Muslim nationalist and you are Hindus! Jai Ho India! hypocrisy toh koi in dono se sikhe.

though i wonder y din the reporter ask “do you think the 2002 victims would get justice?” with maya kodnani serving the seat till 2012 where the trial court named her a convict, does he want to say that he never knew what happened and who were involved….? can he assure that once BJP and alliance comes to power, the alliance would not fiddle with the power and destroy the religious sanctity of the various clans that live in the present day India.

yes, thousands of Indians would never get justice for the family members they lost in 84 and 2002 because we have nationalists like Gandhi clan and BJP! With such nationalists coming to power in sequence, the only thing one can expect is looting of public exchequer!

however, i admire that atleast Modi has made his choice public – hindu nationalist, though how much i dont agree with his logic (i m born hindu, so hindu nationalist – how come mixing religion with nationalism?) much of the credit for this stupidity goes to the reporter for asking it – hindu nationalist or probusiness chief minister!

Posted by pri005 | Report as abusive

As Hitler was voted to power in germany . So Does the Modi. Hitler incinerated six million Jews. Modi Killed 3000 Muslims. Hitler in the making in India. Modi ,STEP down as the CM ,ONLY THEN WE CAN EXPECT A FAIR PROBE. YOU HAVE ELIMINATED MOST OF THE EVIDENCES AGAINST YOU. HITLER COMMITTED SUICIDE. YOUR END MIGHT BE THE SAME.

Posted by THANNU | Report as abusive

Since 1947, in almost all part of the country Muslims have been somehow tortured & deprived by the majorities & flattered by the govt. systems run by several political parties. Be it Bengal, be it M.P., U.P., North-east, Gujarat, Maharastra, Bihar or Kashmir. Somewhere by the majorities and somewhere by the political systems & defence forces. No wonder about Modi’s comment & no heart feelings. It’s the destiny of Muslims in this country. He rightly compared Muslims with “Puppy” (as he has no regrets about Gujarat riot but worry about puppy running under a vehicle) that must always have a fear of many “Wolfs” like Modi, just in the name of religion only? Another lesson we must teach from Modi’s statement that one has to either Hindu or Muslim Nationalist, not just a true Indian! May God save this country from such traitors, fascist & divisive forces.

Posted by NIPoramanik | Report as abusive

If Modi becomes a PM of India, that will be end of our great history of democracy. He makes news by paying a media marketing wing. He had claimed he rescued 15,000 Gujarati pilgrims from flood-hit Uttarakhand recently in 80 Innova cars and four aircrafts. If he had done a bit of math before claiming such stupidity. 80 Innova cars and four aircraft were pressed into service they could carried only a maximum of 2,300 people, even if cramped. He is a #1 liar politician India has ever produced.

Posted by SamUSA_20013 | Report as abusive

Mr Modi had devoted his life for India.Unlike Other politician he has nothing to gain personally.He works for more than 18 hours with full efficiency and without any discrimination.I have seen more than 10000 speeches made by him right from 2002 and always found him thinking about growth for India and International through contribution in Gujarat.As Indian Citizen I feel India needs Modi to be PM even if he does not have ambition to do so.I would urge all sections of society in India please support him for PM and do not get in false controversies created by parties opposing him,you know who I am referring to.The main reason for these parties go against him is for vote bank politics and they fear if comes to power for atleast 15-20 years they have to sit in opposition and that will dilute their existence.So only solution is Narendra Modi is next PM of India if India needs progress.

Posted by CSJAIN | Report as abusive

I believe he has addressed all points very effectively and very relevant explanations. I am little surprised at the Indian media reactions. Any thing Modi says becomes communal war for congress goons.

Posted by MohitSharma | Report as abusive

Bad translation. Modi had said “… even then *EVEN* if a puppy comes under the wheel, will it be painful or not?”

Meaning, even if just a puppy dies we would feel bad, so of course he feels deeply unhappy that thousands of human beings died. What is wrong in that?

Just by leaving one word in the translation, this has given an opportunity to vested interests in the media to quote the sentence out of context to distort the facts and create an unnecessary furore.

Posted by MerlinsBeard | Report as abusive

Yes I agree with all of you ,I can not understand why this indian(Congress) media taking wrong meaning of each and every interview of NAMO .if this indian media spend this time for analysis of development data of indian economy under congress and analysis of all congress minister’s assets then it is very useful to india as well as their TRP!!
But no one want to believe in indian new channel now because this is SASH BAHU news channel just for TRP and money from any where!!!

Posted by harshikpatel | Report as abusive

Nrendra Modi is most Inclusive then all other leaders in India. In this interview each single word I could understand
nothing wrong there. All Indian medias are in fever of congress so they are speculate whole interview wrongly.
Go goooooo Modi go we are with you and We understand you and we know you ,your work. People know all your anime and anime of country too.

Posted by Sanjaykhan | Report as abusive

The interview parts came on local newspaper in kerala helped me to read the full interview on Reuters.
The news in local paper is mainly focusing on making some controversy as normal .It is our choice to decide what is the opinion by public. i think media can deliver the information to us on full spread.
But the newspapers break some sentence from it and publishing is not good for the society.
The people may dont have education ,but they have common sense to decide.
any way Reutres did the right thing to publish it on complete.

We need a strong leadership for india who is not corrupt and who can take decision on issues that affect india in future.The organised education system,including result making research,strengthening of indian business in higher level,making good relationship with neighbors..Lot of things are ahead.if we don’t do things in right time, it will be difficult for us to manage the population.

Posted by sajeevnair | Report as abusive

Well done modiji

Posted by Sivadasan | Report as abusive

And now he’ll claim. Godse claimed the same things he claims in the interview. he nicely masks the facts that he allowed to riots to continue for three days where people were brutally butchered. An ex MP was even not spared. His legs and arms were cut off and he was burnt alive. And for his respect for the supreme court, the supreme court of India called him modern day nero. what does he have to say about that? The police officers who opposed him during that time were demoted and pushed away. only his stooges were allowed to continue. whats worse after the riots even when people were in camps he dissolved the assembly so that he could make use of the oppurtunity to hold polls. when the then election commissioner opposed he went against him. Even bringing his religion into it- saying as a christian Lyngdoh was listening to sonia gandhi’s tunes. the supreme court transferred cases outside the state for a simple reason- it wasnt conducive to conduct cases there. that bad is the situation there. Reuter, the questions you asked were terrible. you never bothered asking the right questions. this interview seems more like a sham.

Posted by alikm | Report as abusive

Modi is India’s best polotician All Indians can prosper develop and stand tall as he has shown in Gujarat

Posted by DJairam | Report as abusive

He is a great leader of this century. He has born to destroy the traitors who has looted this country before and after independence in the name of secularism & appeasement. Arise Hindus! if not now then it will be never. The Congis & the Corrupt politicians always against NaMo, as they r completely rattled that if he comes to power their looting business will be ceased. Arise, Awake And Bring NaMo to power to c a bright future of India. Jai Hindu!

Posted by JaiHindu | Report as abusive

One of the best interview with NaMo. He is the true secular leader, he follows the principle of ‘Vasudaiva kudumbakam’ (the whole world is one family), not like many other Indian politicians says secularism and appease certain sections of the society.

Posted by Hari_13 | Report as abusive

Its a very good interview. The guy is honest and straightforward. Unlike anyone from the Congress, he is truly Indian and deeply interested in bringing on a much needed positive change for India and its youths. India desperately needs freedom from the Nehru-Gandhi dynastic rule which has always raped and ruined India thru effective media management and using every public institution to remain in power. It’s not surprising they are so threatened by Modi.

Posted by TruthBites | Report as abusive

“GOLDEN WORDS DURING FREEDOM FIGHT”–TARI JO HAK SUNI KOI NA AAVE TO EKLO JANE RE–PIYUSH TRIVEDI/VASANTI TRIVEDI-jULY 13TH 2013

Posted by Trivedi | Report as abusive

He is the only man who can save India from Vote Bankers Secular, Terrorists and same time Give Growth to this Country. His 10 Years will be more better than 60 year of Congress Rule.

Posted by ShishuGarg | Report as abusive

India needs this modern day Chanakya i.e. Narendra Modi. It is an idea whose time has come. The severity of the assault on him by all political parties and the media only validates the fact that he is a change agent. Change for the good of people. The Congress has a department called the Dirty Tricks Dept headed by Digvijay Singh. Their job is to create and sustain a negative perception about Modi and BJP. They use the media effectively. Congress has realised that Modi at the Centre will result into the political retirement for most corrupt Congress politicians.

Posted by TruthBites | Report as abusive

“First thing, to Hindustan’s citizens, to voters, Hindus and Muslims, I’m not in favour of dividing. I’m not in favour of dividing Hindus and Sikhs. Religion should not be an instrument in your democratic process.”

What a perfect answer by Narendra Modi and this is real SECULARISM… and slept on that who play politics in the name of secularism and that’s why they frightened with Modi… since if this theory applied and understood by Indian people their vote bank will be finish…

Posted by BipinTrivedi | Report as abusive

I dont understand why indian media is making so hype about this…where was this media when assam riots took place…media didnt cover enough at the time of 2G scam,coal-scam…what punishment did they give to Kalmadi??No one knows…Indian media is totally pathetic and non-sense..Even Prime Minister is one of the accused in Coal scam…THE SILENT PUPPET has no authority in his hand..All orders comes from 10,Janpath,New Delhi..Who was Ishrat Jahan??A terrorist was killed …why to make a hype??Even Let website showed her a member of them…Who was Sohrabuddin??Was he an Ideal Citizen??Nope..!A mafia was killed and lots of encounters took place in the past…why no one is talking about that??Have u seen Indian Economy today??Rupees is at its worst against dollars..why no one is making a head line for that??Have u seen how a common man of India is living??Is it bad to play the politics SOLELY ON THE BASE OF DEVELOPMENT??come on all Congress people..talk about development…Have u seen Gujarat Development??In Assembly election MODI won 117 seats out of 182..Dont they say that public support MODI?have u thought what impact will be there on Indian economy due to FOOD SECURITY BILL??India needs a MIRACLE MAN…Only MODI can do this..he has no one to see behind in his family…Not like the Gandhi Family,where each and every non-qualified person can be the Prime Ministerial Candidate by his birth in Gandhi family rather than his virtues and qualities..I WANT MY NATION TO BE “MODI”FIED????dont u ??GO MODI GO…!!

Posted by jaykothari23 | Report as abusive

True Narendra Modi, True to his colours, chiding in his remorse, appeasing his support base by a bad analogy, I am already alarmed of his intent.

Posted by TheIndiaGuy | Report as abusive

Great job!!! Reuters..
back at home in India, sad and disgusted at our corrupt media trying to twist the whole interview for TRP gains.

Posted by PrashanthDP | Report as abusive

Hindu cares for even small ant or puppy. Only people that cannot face Mr. Narendra Modi shall raise such issues on Puppy reference that was so innocent and that reflect true heart of Hindu Nationalist leader. But Congress leaders has no identity except buttering Gandhi family. They have exploited Muslims and treated them as Vote bank and have left this community to leave worst life. Progressive and forth looking Muslims admires inclusive policy of Mr. Modi and voted for him. So Mr. Kapil Sibbal, please talk of your responsibility in 1984 Anti sikh riots and thousands others killing Muslims and Hindus under your 60 year rule. Please create your own identity Mr. Khurshid when you yourselves involved in Handicap misappropriation scam . You in Driver seat looted 500000 crores in Scams. Now exhibiting hypocrisy when you have no reply on 1984 riots with no single conviction. People are not fools. You cannot stop Mr. Modi.

Posted by NimeshVShah | Report as abusive

he is one man who does not bother what other politicians think he does what he feels right for this country.
u know Indian media is very happy whenever thys find modi’s statement they will be very busy on paper/electronic media
they are very biased about Modi all the news channels in this country are very critical abount him. they do not have courage to go to pm/sonia/rahul to conduct interview and ask very critical question, first they do not get interview even they get they are restricted. enough of indian media pl be unbiased to all political parties and conduct yourself
hope i see this very soon

Posted by krr | Report as abusive

he is a real leader in the nation, and also real hero. comingsoon Indian become a powerfull country of the world.

Posted by rraj-idol | Report as abusive

I have read Srutti Gotipatti’s tweet saying views on this interview and a reaction our Secular Media and brigade. I would like to know how this interview would have been seen in any other country. I am sure nobody could have faulted with anything what NaMo said. But this is how EXOTIC secular media and it’s brigade thinks in India. Pervert and crook.

Posted by nnitin | Report as abusive

What has been left out has been covered by the readers in the comments section. NaMo as Sri Narendra Modi is affectionately called, he is our only hope to rid my nation from our colonization by the Italian Mafiosi. Earlier our country was murdered and plundered by invading hoards beyond our western borders; later it was the EAST INDIA COMPANY looting our nation which gave room to the British Monarchy to rule us calling my country as the Jewel in the British Crown! “Along Came a Spider” in early 1960s and the Italian Mafiosi colonized us under the patronage of the EAT INDIA COMPANY since then. NaMo is our only hope to win us freedom from this LOOT INDIA COMPANY. KHANgress’ Ali Baba and forty thieves are literally scared that their loot will be put to an end once for all. No wonder their fear is generating so much of noise! If reactions on any message board is an indicator, the writing is clear on the wall. Only the purblind will refuse to read it!

Posted by SriAiyerRS | Report as abusive

This Man know what he is talking and what who is is listening, The opposition has taken full advantage of it but with that they have made fulls out of themselves.
The heart f this interview the comment regards to the pain one would feel if he sees a puppy coming under the car!!!
on this one everyone that commented and criticized Modi has looked a complete fool and Modi has definitely thought about this before making the comment!!!!

Posted by SatishMalawi | Report as abusive

Good Muslim is one who calls himself Nationalist Muslim. So is Hindu Nationalist. That is need of India today.

Posted by Mindu | Report as abusive

Favoring only one community/religion means SECULARISM in INDIA for congress and his alliances reason, they can easily fool them to get power which they are doing since independence, looted the nation , spread corruption , making BHARAT weaker in all fronts , soft on terrorism , riots happened in all parts of country not in gujrat only UP, Bihar , Assam all secular States , no one talks about sikh riots , terror attacks , asaam riot , mubai riots , kashmir riots , every fool is behind NaMo and with a reason they do not have anything left to show country people..The lamest and dumb PM of BHARAT doing Bharat nirman , using CBI for mulyam , maya , lallu , etc and serving sonia and his family as a servent.List is long and they have only 2002 to discuss , else they will come to 1991 ayodhya else they will discuss similar things , not telling what they did for the minorities since independence ,tell the nation what you made Bharat in past 60 years of rule.

Posted by uphoric | Report as abusive

In Our country jain Munis walks after cleaninsg roads not to hurt a ant.They don’t cook in evening as flies may get killed.

Posted by mbhagawat | Report as abusive

The flares up from Salman Khurshid and (Sick)ular Pillars of the society SD and others, are totally untenable and stand atrocious – even the word Oxamaron was uncalled for. I have seen such a kind of maturity from Modi’s interview that he was truly present with conscious and mind and answered as he genuinely felt correct without modesty. Puppy word was not at all wrong when his analogy was only to prove about his feelings. Life can never change for better in politics for Modi and let him prepare for that and I am sure he would overcome these obstacles easily.

Posted by marutee | Report as abusive

After reading the Reauter interview, one becoms clear and aware of the actual facts said by Modi, So let the leaders and Indian media appropriately break and distort the statements facts and get exposed in the eyes of the public, Common sense is far far powerful than the non-stop noise of dwarf leaders and irrelevent myopic media.

Posted by Raames | Report as abusive

Posted by Anonymous | Report as abusive

Well done Modi ji ………i strongly Belief that the next election in India will create New History…You are proving that you are the strong Contender or Aspirant for Future PM of India .

Posted by toshi2049 | Report as abusive

Really sad after the negative reactions from leaders of other parties. I truly feel that all these reactions are only to push him back from the upcoming elections.

I don’t know why all other parties are so much united today when they see Mr Narendra Modi to be the most powerful and respected politician of present India.

I would have felt proud if this unity is for making India grow and not for pulling leg of someone who has really earned respect in every Indian eye.

Jai Hind!

Posted by YashT | Report as abusive

a very sincere answer to the hard but decent questions.Pseudo secular political parties in India trying to twist all.

Posted by Rajendransisram | Report as abusive

Mr,
Modi,by expressing his sadness over puppy incident,admits himself that he was very indeed then sad , when human lives were perished due to religious madness.EVERY BODY should accept HIS PUPPY remark as he has appologised. what else we expect from MODI? LET US NOT BE CARRIED AWAY TO VENGENCE
HIS message is clear for all .
A SOUND AND SILENT APOLOGY COMES FROM MR MODI.
NO MORE WORDS ABOUT PUPPY PLEASE.

Posted by mini2008 | Report as abusive

Congratulations for fair and balanced reporting. We do not see this quality of fair journalism in India. Very refreshing article.
Mr Modi is India’s hope.

Posted by aashishjuneja | Report as abusive

If one has to understand Modi, one has to understand the real India, not the one emanating from British Colony or the Mughal era. India was a country of all round strength – cultural, intellectual and social strengths way above the universal average. The strength was not derived from aggression or conquering through war on any outside country, except to protect righteousness (Dharma). Even though India imbibed a lot of things during the Mughal and colonial period – some good things included, the great drawback was India became a slave, acquiring subservient demeanor, substantially diminishing the core of its inner strength. It was to restore its strength of character, the great intellectual thinkers led by Mahatma Gandhi, fought for and succeeded in getting freedom.
Muslims who felt they cannot live along with Hindus in a country as minority, especially when they were ruling the country prior to Colonial era, separated into Pakistan. However, it was leaders like Gandhi, who felt that India has to show its strength by accepting those Muslims who opted to be in India living with Hindus and thereby demonstrate the truly Indian core strength of acceptance of all faiths within – a trait intrinsic to Hindu religion that you will only grow stronger by inclusion. It was a dream as espoused by Gandhi, which the whole of India, particularly its leaders accepted.
Soon after independence when Nehru became Prime Minister, it became slowly apparent that Nehru had different ulterior motive. He was the architect for manifestation of minority polarization for vote bank politics and truly worked on the polarization of Muslims. His dynasty which has been ruling India, has perfected this art and adopted this phenomenon in a crass and brazen manner. Because of the Congress led by Nehru/Indira Gandhi family’s approach, this factor was competitively whipped up by all other so called secular parties. The serious consequences of this exploitation was:
1. the culture of doles and perpetuation of poverty and illiteracy among the minorities, so that they can be continued to be exploited
2. The core intrinsic cultural. social and intellectual strength of India got further stifled instead of getting liberated after independence.
Nehru and Congress continued to stifle the alleviation of poverty and growth of illiteracy, especially among the minorities by increasing appeasement, ensuring that these segments do not benefit from unleashing the Core intellectual and cultural strength intrinsic to Indian ethos. The villains continued to succeed in their plans all these years and enjoyed power, perpetuating unabated corruption.
It is only now that India with a threshold strength of educated and young population, there is some hope for progressive, developmental, nationalistic energies to be unleashed, thanks to emergence of leaders like Modi. All the propaganda of false allegations on Modi is a direct outcome of the natural tendency of those in power mongers, thanks to exploitative strategies and as Modi is becoming more and more popular, the shrill and loudness of lies and misinformation about Modi is intensifying. 2014 is looking like a serious threat for these exploiters. The stakes are so high that the entire Indian media has been bought over by the exploitative power mongers, who are hand in glove with the ulterior designs of the vested interests. The only agenda for 2014 is “stop Modi”. It’s do or die for the villains.
In this background, the interview by Rueters is refreshing.

Posted by sbala53 | Report as abusive

Riot victims have not been rehabilitated even after 11 years.Modi has not furnished data regarding Muslims’ participation in ”allround”growth of Gujrat. Modi has not inducted any minister from this community though Muslims constitute nearly 10% of population in Gujrat.

Posted by garib | Report as abusive

Mr Modi is the greatest leader of this century. His idea is to break india into little tiny bits, and allow divisive politics based on religion rather than caste.He appeases none since his ideas are generated in the pre historic era and finds enough supporters who can’t adjust to the rapidly changing world but can relate to him ,since his ideas are archaic,obsolete,redundant and hopefully will be the radical chemistry to unite a nation.
A PROUD INDIAN.

Posted by 12345678suru | Report as abusive

MODI AS NEXT P M
Modi is the only leader in India to day who is seen as most honest,forthright andbelieves in true secularism.His remarks in your interview was again distorted by so called secularist politician and intellectual.They feel that only they have knowledge of English language so whatever distorted facts they will express in media PEOPLE WILL BELIEVE.They donot realise India has moved far ahead from 2002.Reauter has done a great job by asking all sorts of questions and I think in India no leader has as much confidence as MODI has in his frank answers

Posted by krishnammishra | Report as abusive

‘India First’ is real secularism. How to get Hindus/Muslim votes is not securlarism ? Till date secularism was define by regligion/caste. But India First is something new……There seems to be new wave coming…Vote bank politics related dust will be taken far. Hope ‘India First’ wave will have strength to unite India and take the all the pollution of vote bank politics away from us.

Jai Gurudev !

Posted by JaiGurudev | Report as abusive

This is again a self propagandising Namo. There is nothing new or bright think told in this interview. If mr Modi says 108 ambulance. it is already there in AP by YSR, Karnataka and TN by karunanidhi before 5-10 years.

What %age of power industry has grown. It was more than 26000 MW in gujarat in 2000(beore namo came to power) an excess of 40% of states demand against other states where power problems have become political problems.

All states have developed roads, overhead bridges and National Highways.

Again the growth rate of Gujarat has always been above 12% even before Namo entered politics. For three decades Gujarat has showed growth rate excess to what has happned in last 10 years.

The hidden problems that come to light are the negative increments the work class is to endure due to Contract labour system implemented in the last ten years. The wage of CL in gujarat is the least in the whole of India, lesser than Bihar or Orissa. The water scarcity proplems have started showing its colours in Gujarat. You can expect the problem to bloom in couple of years and hence, Namo wants to escape from the same by becoming PM.

Why do not he complete his tenure and then become PM. Fear ah?

Again are there no other leaders in BJP, only Namo?

Posted by PaulRaj | Report as abusive

What rubbish Congress low mentality people are talking. If a man is born Hindu Family then he will say with pride that I am Hindu. What’s wrong in it.We should proud to be Hindu.
In Hindustan if to say that I am Hindu is a crime then we all should be hang as per Congress leader’s statement.

But what ever wrong will be done by Congress persons.
It is time to unite.
I appeal to all Hindus to be unite and remove Congress in coming election
Be unite
Be Unite
Be Unite and come with Modi

Posted by AmitGoel | Report as abusive

He is the best politician in India. At least he told what is inside of him without hesitate unlike other dirty politicians, who could do anything for their votes.

Posted by singhindian | Report as abusive

if you see the root cause of what happened in 2002 then it was again triggered by congress having said that what happened afterwards was equally bad and should not have happened but at the end of the day in politics the best choice you get is who is less evil so to keep that in mind if you compare two sides of the coin then Modi and BJP has demonstrate their good governance in Gujarat where whole state is progressing and every body is getting benefit of that on other side we have slum dog millionaire India given by Congress and particularly by Nehru family who give damn about the country. Currently congress is also lacking leadership, There was good leader in congress too like lal bahadur shastri who got support of the whole country but none of them survived and gone or murdered so current congress is ruled by one family only for most of the part who never had any best interest of country in mind

so If you compare your choices that way then it looks very obvious to me that who you should VOTE in next election.

Posted by yogihost | Report as abusive

I never knew any thing about Modi until I saw so much opposition for Gujarat Riots. I cant decide what is truth but I know one thing for sure there is some thing about him!
And after reading more about him and his critics, I am sure he has guts to implement what is require by India. Other politician want to do but have no guts to implement.
At this difficult time India needs some one like him to steer to the prosperity.
I sincerely think Muslims in India can grow ( and they deserve it ) when they are given right opportunity not just appeasement. This is one of the great policy Mr Modi.

Posted by ManishJainuk | Report as abusive

Modi is most popular leader in world, in his leadership India will be top of world.
Few people log in on reuters, after Modi interview there is millions of log in reuter, that is Modi populerity.

Posted by Randeep_dc | Report as abusive

The blog should highlight the comments as those made in English and those translated by the author

Posted by Nripinder | Report as abusive

Dear

Plz understand Modi is NOT hinduhruday samrat he is big black BLOT, on hindu religion like kasab for muslims

Posted by Eyopner | Report as abusive

Modi has not said anything wrong in his interview. Indian Media is biased and is openly working pro-congress and supporting the bad policies of the congress dividing the people religiously just to grab the Vote Bank. What is the position of India today Media is also fully responsible for that.They are not taking up the real issues. What happened in 1984 and what is being happened in other parts of the country in the States ruled by congress, media is not highlighting those things. Lahnat hai aise media ko aise fourth stambh of democracy ko. It is shameful.

Posted by Khadwal | Report as abusive

In this context I want to bring to the notice of one and all the hypocracy of the oppenents of Modi, print and tv media and the very secular netas to read todays Times of India and see for yourself the hype created by these people”Modi (RAMBO) saves 15000 Gujratis from UttaraKHAND” in BOLD headlines and has given a clarification that it was some BJP leader from Uttarakhans had only said that Gujrat Govt. helped people by providing food, shelter and transport facilities to the needy people ( no number s) not only Gujraties. This news of clarification is printed in a corner of the news paper, Nothing is there on the TV channels by the so much learnt people(ANCHORS) IN THIS REGARD. So, all the people should know about the truth behind these media/opponents of Modi in particular and BJP in general.

Posted by ashokak | Report as abusive

The Reuters with scant knowledge about RSS/Hindtva did not ask Modi ji that Gopal Godse who killed Gandhi also called himself Hindu nationalist. The RSS decried Tri-colour as bad omen and inauspicious when Constituent Assembly of India decided to have it as National Flag. Another Hindu Nationalist, Veer Savarkar agreed with RSS that MUslims and Hindus are two different nations. RSS & Hindu Mahasabha joined Muslim League in coalition governments during Quit India Movement of 1942. The RSS wants to replace Democratic-Secular Indian Constitution by Code of Manu which reduces to women and Dalits to status worst than animals. I would request Reuters to see a document KNOW THE RSS at to know about Hindu nationalists.

Posted by shamsul | Report as abusive

i am apalled at the ignorance of majority of media people about the meaning of being a hindu as they consider it as a theology which it is not. hinduism is based on the most profound understanding of the nature of life and the universe. pl read Macauley’s speech in British parliament on 2nd feb 1835.
how long these people will remain governed by TRP and its business interest and fail to see Mr. Narendra Modi as the only hope of pulling our country from the moral and economic mess. after decades India has a public figure/politician of such high integrity and caliber.
let us be truly patriotic and feel for our countrymen.

Posted by sauluck | Report as abusive

What a superb interview? Its my advice to all who are doing bla bla on this interview must read the comment that, how a leader should be? Talking useless and just to blame others this is what others are doing but on looking at this interview you can find after long time that a leader is talking of nation not of any particular community.

Posted by vishal8 | Report as abusive

I am not against any political party – because all the persons concerning the present political system of are the same coin. These days ghost of unemployment, poverty,corruption are the main issue. What magic rod has any political party in their possession which may put the things in right and proper way. Actually the supreme power created rulers with the positive way to rule the people in proper way. Nature has given everything for living for every person – but the people start accumulation the materialistic facilities more than their requirement then such problems created are suffering for rest of the people. The political parties must rule but within the prescribed preferably by the Nature. Earlier BJP was in power what more than congress they did. If the people of the age about 85 have still desire for next PM so the future welfare of the people does not augur well.Such people must did meditation to get something from the GOD in their next birth and by this if they did any bad thing that would also minimize their sin to some extent . the political say must do what they say What is the problem if all the political become one to provide something good for removing the sufferings of the people. Everybody is chasing lust to provide more facilities to his/her body.

Posted by singh_kirpal61 | Report as abusive

will Reuters tell congress and other spoke men Modi on puppies.These spokeperson r seeing muslims as their voters,so ur anchor who took interview tell these illetrate spokepersons what modi said.

Posted by arjunvinay | Report as abusive

What a shame that the two Reuters journalists who conducted this interview did not know the significance of the term “Hindu nationalist”. It’s not as simple as saying: I’m a Hindu, I’m a nationalist, therefore I’m a Hindu nationalist. The term is rooted in the RSS ideology that believes that Hindus and Muslims must live as two separate nations. It is because Gandhi refused to subscribe to this ideology that he was killed. Gandhi too was a proud Hindu and a nationalist, but he saw his nationality and his religion as separate. Being a foreign news agency journalist is not as simple as reading current newpapers and current documents. You need to study the history of the country you are reporting. Ross and Shruti didn’t, and look who’s having the last laugh at their expense. Narendra Modi and his followers, of course

Posted by FeministAnita | Report as abusive

Mouthfuls of secularism & stomachfuls of hypocrisy. That is Indian politician. Narendra Modi seems to be exception. He is straightforward & sincere. Let us chant “yada yadahi dharmasya…….” Bharath was there even before India’s birth!(MAHABHARATA)My Muses-01-11
================
The tongue can converse in the dark,
The ear can hear;
The eye needs at least a spark,
The word does win for ever.

Thus the word is true. Is there a leader who is true to his word?

Posted by drkgbalakrishna | Report as abusive

Modi islike Chankya, he sow seeds of controversies and the whole media, political parties starts cutting grass of it.

Posted by rcg | Report as abusive

I see a lot of friends pointing about Reuters team not understanding the true meaning of Hindu Nationalist. Why don’t we talk of TODAY rather than harping on what happened in 1948 or around that time. Let us find out how many riots have taken place in Gujarat post 2002, which was a mob reaction to the planned butchering of Hindus at Godhra Rly station. Did not we see similar(or much stronger!!) reaction against Sikhs post assassination of Indira Gandhi. So let us focus on toaday and think about getting rid of Non performing Govt and save the Indian people from SCAMS.

Posted by PRaj | Report as abusive

It was surprising that when Mr. Modi declared him to be a ‘Hindu Nationalist’ the Reuters’ journalists did not ask about Norwegian mass killer Neo-Nazi, Anders Behring Breivik who hailed India’s ‘Hindu Nationalist’ movement as a key ally in a global struggle to bring down democratic regimes across the world. Just before he went to massacre large number of people in Norway he released a manifesto of 1518 pages out of which 102 pages dealt with the glorification of Hindutva movement of India. This manifesto also laid down a plan of co-operation between Neo-Nazi movement of Europe and ‘Hindu Nationalist’ organizations of India. It said that it was essential that these two “learn from each other and cooperate as much as possible,” as “Our goals are more or less identical.” This manifesto specially mentioned the names of Hindutva organizations like RSS, BJP, ABVP & VHP in this regard. Importantly, the manifesto pledged military support “to the nationalists in the Indian civil war and in the deportation of all Muslims from India” as part of a larger campaign to “overthrow of all western European multiculturalist governments”. How could Reuters skip it?

Posted by shamsul | Report as abusive

Improving from 220% to 40% is easy, but improving from 80% to 90% is more difficult, like what development are happening in Gujarat. Comparing the states of other states (low performing) is not correct.
Everyone is worried about population and do their best, the population of minorities are increasing, and also their demand for more reservations. So as Mr Modi said, treat all Indians equal. If some state is reducing the population, increase assistance and more MP’s for that state.

Posted by Indians | Report as abusive

All the Modi bashers are making fools of them selves or trying to fool the listeners. Print & Electronic media are unabashedly patronizing flow of stupid and biased views. There is no comparison, no analogy in the “puppy” paragraph, a simple reference to the angst that can be caused with loss of life of a puppy and what that of humans – irrespective of hindu or muslim – it is much more painful. And for this, all the so called “Secular” and “Responsible” guardians of the “Nation” have started taking NaMo to task and pouring out their wisdom”"!! Height of Hypocrisy & Prejudice

Posted by iskswaroop1 | Report as abusive

NarendraModi is a crowd puller and no doubt the Trump Card of BJP.But BJP must suffer for the ambiguous steps he has taken in past.
His Slogans may sound convincing, his analysis may be realistic, still he has not the back up for leading India as PM.

Posted by M.S.Das | Report as abusive

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY SOME COMMENT ABOUT HINDU NATIONALIST

FIRST WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF HINDU,IT IS NOT RELIGION, IT IS CULTURE.AS PER THE PAST HISTORY WHEN ARYA CAME FROM NORTH WEST ,THEY STAY AT THE BANK OF SINDHU RIVER SO THEY CALLED SINDHU BY THERE NORTH WEST SOCIETY, THEY SPELLED SINDHU TO HINDU AND HINDU TO INDU,SO FROM INDU THE WORD “INDIA” NAME BORN. SO IT MEANS HINDU IS NOT RELIGION BUT WHO LEAVE IN SINDHU AREA THEY COLD HINDU.
AFTER SINDHU CIVILIZATION DEVELOP, THEY MOVE TO EAST,WHEN THEY GO THEY CALLED AS A HINDU AND THEY ESTABLISH HINDUSTAN(INDIA). SO IT IS WRONG TO SAY THAT HINDU NATIONALIST IS A SECULAR.

Posted by rbgayakwad | Report as abusive

If the people can misinterpret and twist the statement of a simple human being , then imagine misinterpretation and twisting of the religious scriptures which contain the wisdom of the enlightened founders.

During the Ann Hazare movement , every political leader and even the so called BHUDHIJEEVI started to bark like street dogs against Anna Hazare.

Same happened with Arvind Kejriwal. Now , When Modi is being projected as the future PM , every political leader and the so called Bhudijeevi is barking like stray dog against him.

This clearly shows that they are feeling insecure from inside and cannot withstand the tall stature of Modi.

Posted by Santokh | Report as abusive

Narendra Modi is a very canny politician with a sure grip on realpolitik. Every statement he makes is well thought-out and he is keenly aware of the ramifications of each word he uses. No one should make the mistake that any word or sentence used in an interview is a slip of the tongue or an ill-considered action.

So what exactly is Modi trying to do with his comments? All his actions and statements are part of a clever strategy by Modi and Rajnath Singh to de-fang the UPA and its allies, so that come election time they will have no ammunition to attack Modi with. For more on why this is the case, see here: http://www.leftbrainwave.com/2013/07/use -your-ghatotkachas-wisely.html

Posted by nayakan88 | Report as abusive

modi is the right person to the indian prime minister.

Posted by rajendraroja | Report as abusive

Few hard works by modi…
1) Developing already developed state…
2) INTENTIONALLY FAILED IN controlling 2002 Riots…
3) Hiring a PR agency from US for his (modi’s) campaign & Lobbying (WASTAGE OF GUJRAT PEOPLES MONEY)
4) Fake encounters….
5) Inviting US delegation to Gujarat and washing their legs, (When US is not even allowing modi to enter)…..
6) Forcing BJP president rajnath to BEG in US for his visa (WHAT A SHAME)…..

As a CM he is doing that much hard work, JUST visualize what he will do if he becomes PM……
…..GOD SAVE INDIA

Posted by Eyopner | Report as abusive

I would thank Ross Colvin and Sruthi Gottipati for such a wonderful interview.Concept of secularism was introduced by Swami Vivekananda in USA and it is a purely Hindu concept.A Hindu is born secular because he practices his/her religion.The old scripture of the world The Rigveda itself indicates that Truth is one – “ekam sad vipra bahudha vadanti agnim yamam matariswanam ahuh”(meaning Truth is one, but the learned refer to it in different names).Congress to gain vote creates lot of divide and rule by questioning secularism.Muslims burnt the train carrying Hindu pilgrims for Jihad and many riots happened before 2002 when Narendra Modi was not CM.Riots has happened since 1947 because of Jihad ideology.There will be times when tolerance of masses will break.Why didn’t USA ban VISA of Rajiv Gandhi(Sikh riots),Manmohan Singh(Assam riots),Mulayam Singh,Rahul Gandhi and Mayawati(UP riots),Maharashtra riots in Dhule,Bhagalpur riots by Congress party,Recent killing of Hindu by Muslims under Omar Abdulla,Killing of Kashmiri Pundits etc etc etc.We request USA not to have double standards.If Congress is so secular as it pretends,they should ban VISA for Obama for launching attacks on Alqueida,Iraq,Gaddaffi etc.All Muslims will vote Indian Congress.

Posted by Maneesha | Report as abusive

We have launched a petition to request President Obama to reconsider US Administration’s stand on Mr. Narendra Modi, the Chief Minister of the State of Gujarat, India.
Please visit MODI360.COM to review and sign this petition.

Posted by Modi360. | Report as abusive