Opinion

Jack Shafer

Andrew Breitbart (1969-2012)

By Jack Shafer
March 1, 2012

You’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead, a rule I always ignore when somebody famous or newsworthy dies. If we shouldn’t be overly sentimental about death because we all die anyway, what better time to assess a life than when it ends, even if prematurely as in the case of media provocateur Andrew Breitbart, who died today at the age of 43? In the case of Breitbart, a man who gloried in savaging his political enemies whether they were dead or alive, there’s little reason to hold fire until the funeral baked meats have gone cold.

Besides, he knew how to take a punch. And he liked throwing them.

I liked the idea of Andrew Breitbart better than I liked any of his work at Big Government, Big Hollywood, Big Journalism, Big Peace, Breitbart or Breitbart.tv. As I wrote in Slate in 2009, I admired the way he ignored journalistic convention and the usual ethical standards to pursue the stories that were important to him. I admired his entrepreneurial approach to journalism and his disdain for the credentialed, self-important press corps. I enjoyed his prankster sense of humor, which goes a long way toward explaining why news of his death, tweeted and retweeted this morning, was met with disbelief. He was just the sort of guy who would fake his death and cull the reactions to make a tendentious point at the expense of his enemies.

But where did the punches land? Credit him with starting the avalanche that buried ACORN, hammering the National Endowment for the Humanities Arts by publishing a revelatory conference call tape, midwifing the congressional insider-trading scoop of Big Peace editor Peter Schweizer and exposing (sorry!) Weinergate. But also credit him with the shoddy attempted takedown of Department of Agriculture official Shirley Sherrod.

I doubt that Breitbart cared all that much about his won-lost record. Profiling Breitbart in 2010 in Slate, Christopher Beam wisely accepted the conservative media brat on his own terms to capture the man in all his glory. “I have two speeds,” Breitbart said. “Humor and righteous indignation.” Although he was capable of accuracy and accountability, those speeds were not operational when he appeared on television and his rhetoric accelerated. But it didn’t bother him when the liberal media establishment — loosely defined as anybody who took issue with him — spent negative words on him. “They want to portray me as crazy, unhinged, unbalanced. OK, good, fine. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you,” he told Beam.

These sound like angry words from an angry man, but they weren’t. An F-bomb from Breitbart’s lips was a sort of Irish blessing, an invitation to get in the ring with him to see who was the champ and who was the chump. Noah Shachtman’s 2010 profile in Wired extracted the agitprop essence from Breitbart’s act, noting that for all his professed hatred of the “Democratic-media complex,” he knew how to work its strengths to his advantage. That complex delights in being attacked, and the broader and more profane the assaults are, the more the complex enjoys it.

When Breitbart really got going on TV, burying his foes in an ocean of high-decibel crosstalk, I once entertained the theory that he was a liberal plant, designed to make right-wingers look nuts. But inevitably he would pull out of his tirade, say something coherent and foil my theory. Breitbart’s most brilliant media disruption came last summer, when he hijacked the press conference of Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) to denounce the press and claim “vindication” for having broken the Weiner photo story. It was such an obvious stunt, yet nobody but Breitbart had ever exhibited the imagination or balls to execute it before.

Every work of original journalism is, by definition, a work of press criticism, chiding other journalists for not getting to the story first. In this sense, everything Breitbart did was an act of press criticism, such as seeing with his conservative eyes stories that other journalists were blind to and hollering at them on television and wherever else he could find an open mike.

Where did the fury come from? Breitbart put himself on the psychiatrist’s couch in the Beam profile to confess: “It’s a fundamental flaw in my psyche. I don’t do well with death,” explaining that he had been emotionally crushed at a young age by the deaths of his dogs; by the death of Thurman Munson; by the death of his best friend, killed in a robbery, when he was 24.

“I think I’ve created a horrific buttress of protections because I was so devastated by the permanence of death as a child,” he told Beam. “My ability to be emotive and cry … I think I’m so fearful of tapping that that I won’t know how to turn it off.”

In political journalism, Breitbart found his salvation. As long as he was fighting, he was beating death.

******

Send your favorite Breitbart recollections to Shafer.Reuters@gmail.com or post them below. My Twitter feed does not fear death, only love. Sign up for email notifications of new Shafer columns (and other occasional announcements). Subscribe to this RSS feed for new Shafer columns and subscribe to this hand-built RSS feed for corrections to my column.

PHOTO: Conservative journalist Andrew Breitbart speaks at a news conference prior to U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY) in New York, June 6, 2011. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Comments
17 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

I’m devastated.

Humanity lost one of a kind.

Go with G-d Andrew.

Posted by KansasGirl | Report as abusive

May you be treated ans exhumed with as much grace as you given this man when you meet your demise.

A man is not defined so much as what his friends say about him but what mark he leaves on this earth. I suspect that Mr. Breitbart will be judged by history by his actions accomplishments in his life. I just hope you will have some measure of accomplishment when history judges yours, Sir.
I sincerely doubt it; particularly if it takes the form I have witnessed in reading what I just did.

Posted by jagier | Report as abusive

“You’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead, a rule I always ignore when somebody famous or newsworthy dies.”

To make an extreme point in answer, one can’t speak ill of Adolf Hitler or Stalin?!? Can’t say I’m happy about Breitbart’s death, but am borderline relieved that yet another nut is gone. Btw, what’s a ‘natural cause’ at age 43?

All deaths result from ‘natural cause’ but… is the media hiding yet another no-no?

Posted by w.burton | Report as abusive

Emotionally crushed by the death of Thurman Munson? Jesus, what a pussy.

Posted by dogofthesouth | Report as abusive

I heard the sound of a giant fall today. Sad.

Posted by Anonymi | Report as abusive

Jack, Jack, Jack…It takes real effort to construct logic like yours, and even more effort to make sense of it.
By your “reasoning”, Breitbart was a furious journalist…and thereby was original in his thinking. Right?

By that standard you too are an original journalist…only your fury’s source is that he got more attention in both life and death that you can or ever will. Why else would you bother to comment?

I knew Breitbart, Monkeyfishboy. And you are no Breitbart.

What a waste of electrons is your drivel!!!

Posted by OlivesDad | Report as abusive

Wow, the very first comment namechecked Hitler AND Stalin. Hi, Reuters!

Posted by JimTreacher | Report as abusive

Posted by Ocala123456789 | Report as abusive

Jack Shafer = Liberal masquerading as objective journalist.

Is anyone surprised he did not like Breitbart.

By the way Jack, where were you on the ACORN scandal and the John Edwards scandal…….oh, off reporting another wonderful Obama achievement no doubt.

Posted by eleno | Report as abusive

Jack WHO?

Posted by StJohn | Report as abusive

breitbart did the world a great favor exposing the corruption of acorn. while his enemies were falling over themselves complaining about his sting, they could not quite muster the outrage this organization deserved both for corruption and its creepy tolerance of child prostitution if somehow that could help a client get some free federal benefits.

Posted by LukeLiberty100 | Report as abusive

It’s amazing to me conservatives worship vile people such as AB and Rush Limbaugh. And then have the gall to crow about their ‘values’. What a sad joke. Newsflash: reposting a photo from someones twitter account is not journalism. Editing video to implicate an innocent person is just disgusting. You guys can have your right wing entertainment – just keep it to yourselves.

Posted by BakoD | Report as abusive

“leave the dead alone… do not talk people that can not protect themselves… ungodly liberal minds do not get it…” Breitbart dumped on the recently deceased all the time. It had nothing to do with him being an ungodly conservative; he was just a douche desperate to make a name for himself by being scandalous.

The guy was an opposition researcher who happened to be an attention hog instead of slinking around and hiding on the sidelines like most. There’s hundreds of them out every day looking for dirt to bury their bosses political enemies. They’re just scumbags we have learned to accept as a byproduct of our system…

Posted by spall78 | Report as abusive

It is always disheartening to lose a child. Primarily because you know that they would have grown up (eventually) and seen the world much differently.
Breitbart was only half baked by the time he died and it was reflected in his immature, disrespectful behavior. A another fallen rock star, never having lived long enough to appreciate the beauty of life and other human beings.
C’est Dommage. I hope he found peace.

Posted by nieldevi | Report as abusive

Enjoy Hell, Andy; it was built for people like you.

Posted by borisjimbo | Report as abusive

Just how many con artists does America have?

Posted by Biscayne | Report as abusive

Speaking ill? What about factually? What about truth? Breitbart may be dead but his life is proof that there is no god. He would have died from a lightning strike if there was. He’s just dust now.

Posted by brotherkenny4 | Report as abusive