ROME (Reuters) – An Italian Senate committee is likely to start a process on Friday to expel Silvio Berlusconi from parliament following his conviction for tax fraud, meaning the former prime minister’s fate could be sealed within weeks.
Berlusconi, who has dominated Italian politics for two decades, brushed off suggestions that his parliamentary career might soon be over after the conviction and an aborted attempt to topple the government.
ROME (Reuters) – Prime Minister Enrico Letta warned on Wednesday that Italy risked being left without a stable government if he loses a confidence vote triggered by Silvio Berlusconi’s move to pull his centre-right party out of the coalition.
However, the media tycoon’s furious decision on Saturday to withdraw his ministers from the government has provoked a revolt in his People of Freedom (PDL) party that could see dozens of Senators defy orders and vote for the government.
ROME (Reuters) – At least 13 people on a migrant boat arriving in eastern Sicily drowned, apparently after trying to get off their stranded vessel while it was just a few meters from the shore, Italian authorities said on Monday.
Television pictures showed the bodies, all of adult men, wrapped in white sheets lying on the beach.
ROME (Reuters) – Silvio Berlusconi’s bid to push Italy into new elections faces a test on Monday when he meets lawmakers from his center-right party who have shown growing unease over his shock decision to pull support from Prime Minister Enrico Letta’s coalition.
Berlusconi’s decision to order the five ministers from his People of Freedom (PDL) party to resign from Letta’s cabinet has plunged Italy into political chaos and left the euro zone’s third-largest economy without a functioning government.
ROME (Reuters) – Italy’s president began talks on Sunday to pull the country out of a new political crisis, attempting to undercut a move by former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to bring down the government and force new elections seven months after the last vote.
For the third time since 2011, Italian President Giorgio Napolitano is trying to steer the country out of political chaos that has proven a major threat, not only to the euro zone’s third-largest economy, but to the region’s efforts to halt its four-year debt crisis.
ROME, Sept 29 (Reuters) – Italy’s president began talks on
Sunday to pull the country out of a new political crisis,
attempting to undercut a move by former Prime Minister Silvio
Berlusconi to bring down the government and force new elections
seven months after the last vote.
For the third time since 2011, Italian President Giorgio
Napolitano is trying to steer the country out of political chaos
that has proven a major threat, not only to the euro zone’s
third-largest economy, but to the region’s efforts to halt its
four-year debt crisis.
ROME (Reuters) – Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta returned to Rome on Friday preparing for a showdown over the future of his warring coalition government following threats by Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right allies to walk out of parliament.
Letta’s left-right coalition has flirted with collapse ever since Italy’s top court convicted former premier Berlusconi of tax fraud last month and sentenced him to four years in prison, commuted to a year of house arrest or community service.
ROME (Reuters) – Center-right deputies supporting Silvio Berlusconi renewed threats to resign if their leader is expelled from parliament and the left demanded an end to their “blackmail”, deepening uncertainty in Italy’s fragile ruling coalition.
Italy has been close to crisis since Berlusconi, a partner in the coalition government, was sentenced to four years in prison, commuted to a year under house arrest or in community service, for tax fraud. It included a ban on holding public office that is under appeal.
GROSSETO, Italy, Sept 23 (Reuters) – The captain of the
Costa Concordia told a court on Monday that a junior officer who
was at the wheel at the time shared the blame for the cruise
liner disaster that killed 32 people last year.
Francesco Schettino faces multiple charges including
manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship after the
Concordia, carrying more than 4,000 passengers and crew, struck
a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio and capsized on Jan. 13,
GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) – Lawyers for the former ship’s captain charged over the sinking of the Costa Concordia cruise liner sought permission on Monday to examine the wreck for evidence, a week after salvage crews in Italy raised it off the rocks.
The raising of the Costa Concordia, one of the most complex shipwreck recoveries ever undertaken, has opened the way for a new quest for clues sought by prosecutors and the man charged with causing the accident, former captain Francesco Schettino.