How to pay for healthcare
Capitol Hill watcher Pete Davis gives the breakdown:
Health care reform financing options estimated by JCT. Yesterday, June 2 Joint Committee on Taxation “very preliminary” revenue estimates were obtained by the Bureau of National Affairs showing the following 10 year revenue increases:
- Cap the employer health exclusion at the FEHBP, index to CMS $418.5 b.
- Cap, but only for singles (joint) over $100,000 ($200,000) $161.9 b.
- Limit exclusion to 50% of premium amount $1,173.1 b.
- Repeal medical itemized deduction over 7.5% of AGI $180.7 b.
- Repeal Flexible Savings and Health Reimbursement Accounts $68.6 b.
- 3¢ per 12 oz. sugar-sweetened beverage $51.6 b.
Raise alcohol excise tax to $16 per proof gallon $61.5 b.