I think this hunk by Mark Halperin on Sarah Palin’s resignation is pretty good:
1. This means she can’t run for president in 2012.
2. She would have been a stronger candidate for 2012 if she had stayed in office.
3. Republican primary and caucus voters in 2012 will care if she served out her term or not.
4. This means she is definitely running in 2012.
5. Making the announcement on the Friday of a holiday weekend was really stupid.
6. Until today, Palin was well positioned to run in 2012.
7. Palin made the decision not to run for re-election all of the sudden.
8. Palin’s rhetoric about the politics of personal destruction was not heartfelt.
9. Palin’s ambition is limited to electoral politics.