The case against Ben Bernanke
My pal John Tamny doesn’t think the Fed chairman deserves a second term for the following reasons
1) Bernanke is too much of a political operator.
2) Bernanke thinks too much economic growth causes inflation.
3) The dollar has collapsed vs. gold during Bernanke’s tenure.
4) Bernanke was a TARP enabler.
5) Zero percent interest rates are a market of Fed failure.
Here’s hoping the Obama administration ignores the establishment consensus, and realizes that the job of Fed chairman should be a prosaic, undesirable one, whereby the chairman is humble in his actions with an eye solely on issuance of a stable dollar.
Bernanke’s past and present lust for the job of Fed Chairman signals an expansive vision about what the position entails, and this means he’s unfit for the role, which should have greatly diminished prestige. Indeed, the fact that he covets the position so much tells us all we need to know about his love of status and rank. As Bagehot observed, “such men are dangerous.”