Is there where economic growth will come from?
Barry Ritholtz ticks off ten technologies:
My top 10 list (in order of biggest near term potential):
1. Nano Technology (Think of the line “Plastics” in The Graduate).
2. Green (low carbon) Energy (generation)
3. Battery technology (storage)
4. Genomics/Stem Cell Research
5. Web 2.0/3.0 — smaller, niche companies using increased bandwidth
6. Robotics — the continued replacement of humans by machine, for both labor and judgement
7. Life extension Technologies (not disease cures, but actual extension technology)
8. Bio-Agriculture (GMF, etc.) Feeding 15 billion people will require some technological breakthroughs.
9. Atmospheric Engineering — modifying Earth’s biosphere to keep it hospitable to Humans in the face of an ice age or global warming;
10. Terra forming/Extra Planetary Colonization (uh-oh, time to go)