Matt Miller vs. Paul Ryan
Over at the WaPo, the great Jennifer Rubin takes Matt Miller to task for his completely unfair and wrongheaded critique of Paul Ryan. See, Matt Miller has a thesis shared by many in the MSM and center-left think tank community. It goes like this:
1. As societies get richer — and older — they demand bigger government to provide more services.
2. Thus to prevent a fiscal crisis, taxes much go up since it is impossible to substantially cut spending.
3. And since Paul Ryan advocates, to Miller at least, the impossible — spending less government money on entitlements and keeping taxes low — Ryan is not a serious person when it comes to dealing with America’s debt problem.
The problem with Miller’s thesis is as follows:
1. Raising taxes high enough to deal with exploding healthcare costs would kill economic growth, making the debt problem even worse.
2. Ryan, via his Roadmap for America, demonstrates a way to provide a safety net that does not require bigger government. Miller refuses to acknowledge the viability of free market solutions.
3. There is no political evidence that Americans are ready for dramatically higher taxes.