Correspondent, Boston
Jim's Feed
Dec 17, 2014

U.S. fears Sony hackers may never be caught -law enforcement official

WASHINGTON/BOSTON, Dec 17 (Reuters) – Government
investigators fear the hackers behind the unprecedented attack
on Sony’s Hollywood studio may never be caught if they are under
the protection of North Korea, a U.S. official said on

The law enforcement official, who declined to be identified
because the investigation is ongoing, said authorities will
require significant time to definitively confirm their
suspicions that North Korea sponsored the attack, which severely
damaged the movie studio’s network.

Dec 17, 2014

New York premiere of North Korea comedy canceled after threats

BOSTON (Reuters) – The New York premiere of “The Interview”, a Sony Pictures comedy about the assassination of North Korean President Kim Jong-Un, has been canceled and a source said one theatre chain had scrapped plans to show it, after threats from a hacking group.

The hackers, who said they were also responsible for seizing control of Sony Corp’s computer system last month, on Tuesday warned people to stay away from cinemas showing the film starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, and darkly reminded moviegoers of the Sept. 11 hijacked plane attacks on the United States in 2001.

Dec 16, 2014
Dec 16, 2014
Dec 16, 2014

No credible sign of plot on theaters over Sony movie – U.S. officials

BOSTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) – U.S. security agencies are
investigating a threat against theaters planning to show Sony
Corp’s controversial movie about an assassination of the leader
of North Korea, and so far they have seen no real sign of an
active plot, two U.S. officials said.

A hacking group published what appear to be more internal
emails on Tuesday and promised a “bitter fate” for those who
went to see the movie, “The Interview” following a cyber attack
that severely damaged movie studio’s network.

Dec 16, 2014
Dec 15, 2014
Dec 15, 2014
Dec 13, 2014
Dec 12, 2014

Iran hackers may target U.S. energy, defense firms, FBI warns

BOSTON, Dec 12 (Reuters) – The Federal Bureau of
Investigation has warned U.S. businesses to be on the alert for
a sophisticated Iranian hacking operation whose targets include
defense contractors, energy firms and educational institutions,
according to a confidential agency document.

The operation is the same as one flagged last week by cyber
security firm Cylance Inc as targeting critical infrastructure
organizations worldwide, cyber security experts said. Cylance
has said it uncovered more than 50 victims from what it dubbed
Operation Cleaver, in 16 countries, including the United States.

    • About Jim

      "Jim works in the Reuters Boston bureau covering cyber security, hacking and technology privacy issues. He’s been with Reuters since 2005. He previously covered technology, media and biotechnology for Broadcasting & Cable, the Orange County Register and Bloomberg News out Tokyo, Taipei, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Santa Ana, California."
      Joined Reuters:
      English, Mandarin
    • More from Jim

    • Contact Jim

    • Follow Jim