Rocket from Egypt’s Sinai hits Israeli city – police

April 5, 2012

JERUSALEM | Thu Apr 5, 2012 6:26am BST

(Reuters) – A rocket fired from Egypt’s Sinai desert struck the southern Israeli resort of Eilat on Thursday, police said, fuelling Israeli worries over militant activity in the border area.

No casualties or damage were reported.

An Egyptian security source told Reuters in Cairo that Egyptian forces were searching the area along the border but had not found any evidence indicating any rockets had been fired from the Sinai.

The head of Eilat police, Ron Gertner, told Israeli Army Radio that explosions were heard in Eilat soon after midnight. Police found the remains of one rocket in a construction site, about 400 metres (yards) from a residential area.

Asked if the rocket was fired from Sinai, Gertner said: “Based on our working assumptions and the range, yes.”

Officials in Israel have been worried that the Sinai has become a base for Islamist militants since former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak’s downfall last year.

“For a long while now we have been seeing that the Sinai peninsula is turning into a launching ground against the citizens of Israel, for terror,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said after the attack.

It was launched a day before the start of the Jewish Passover holiday, which commemorates the exodus of the biblical Israelites from slavery in Egypt. Eilat is expected to be full of vacationers during the week-long holiday.

The Israel-Egypt border had been relatively quiet since the two countries signed a peace agreement in 1979. But Israel says that since Mubarak was overthrown, Cairo has lost its grip on the Sinai and militants are exploiting the lawlessness.

Last August, armed infiltrators killed eight Israelis on the Egyptian frontier. Israel’s forces, repelling the gunmen, killed five Egyptian border troops. Israel said the attack was orchestrated by Palestinian militants.

To fend off infiltration, Israel is building a fence along the southern border which it hopes to complete by the end of 2012. When it is finished, the barrier will run most of the 266 km (165 miles) from Eilat on the Red Sea’s Gulf of Aqaba up to the already-closed Gaza Strip on the Mediterranean.

“We are building a very impressive security fence, but it doesn’t block rockets. We will also find a solution to the rocket problem. We will hit those who come to hurt us and we will also hit those who send them,” Netanyahu said in a speech in central Israel.

(Additional reporting by Yusri Mohamed in Ismailiya; Writing by Maayan Lubell; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

Comments

Interesting, this.
On the one hand, you have a nation which relies on foreign support for (basically) it’s miliary needs.
On the other hand, you have a people who, for the past 40 or 50 years, (supposedly) have been lobbing all kinds of explosive ordinance at them to get them to leave.
The jew-haters in this geo-political arena are by no means stupid or dense. Like most people, they tend to learn from their mistakes. One would tend to think that, after 40 or 50 years of lobbing said ordinance at Israel, such tactics by said jew-haters would be found ineffective. One of my theories regarding this issue is this: There is a semi-official/quasi-government/secret agency which works with these so-called terrorists to lob stuff at Israel at strategically unimportant targets. The reason: continued foreign support.

Posted by shivavatar | Report as abusive
 

Post Your Comment

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/