Mark's Feed
Sep 11, 2015

Exclusive – U.S. to China: Take back your undocumented immigrants

WASHINGTON/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – In early June, in cities across America, U.S. immigration agents arrested more than two dozen Chinese nationals with unfulfilled deportation orders, telling them that after years of delay, China was finally taking steps to provide the paperwork needed to expel them from the U.S.

But, not for the first time, China failed to provide the necessary documents, and three months later not one of those arrested has been deported, and many have been released from custody. They form part of a backlog of nearly 39,000 people Chinese nationals awaiting deportation for violating U.S. immigration laws, 900 of them classed as violent offenders, according to immigration officials.

Sep 10, 2015

U.S. urged to tighten cyber security to counter Chinese hacking

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States must beef up cyber security against Chinese hackers targeting a broad range of U.S. interests to raise the cost to China of engaging in such activities, America’s top intelligence official said on Thursday.

The testimony by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper before a congressional committee added to pressure on Beijing over its conduct in cyberspace just weeks before Chinese President Xi Jinping makes a state visit to Washington.

Sep 5, 2015

Brooks faces fights on all fronts back at Murdoch’s London HQ

LONDON/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – When the once toxic Rebekah Brooks returns to run Rupert Murdoch’s British newspapers on Monday she will face the toughest challenge of her career — rebuilding her reputation and the company in the harsh glare of the public spotlight.

Brooks, the media mogul’s protegee who was cleared last year of being part of a criminal phone hacking campaign to dig up news stories, will resume oversight of Britain’s The Sun and The Times papers as News UK chief executive, following a four-year battle to clear her name.

Sep 3, 2015

Former Clinton aide will not testify in House probe, lawyer says

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A former U.S. State Department information technology staffer who worked for Hillary Clinton is refusing to testify before U.S. lawmakers probing the former top diplomat and the 2012 attacks on U.S. installations in Benghazi, Libya, according to a letter sent by his lawyer to Congressional investigators.

Clinton, the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, was secretary of state at the time of the attacks, in which four Americans were killed. A Republican-led House of Representatives Select Committee is investigating the incident as well as Clinton’s use of a private email server during her tenure.

Sep 1, 2015

Millions hit by personal data hack still have not been told

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. government has not yet notified any of the 21.5 million federal employees and contractors whose security clearance data was hacked more than three months ago, officials acknowledged on Tuesday.

The agency whose data was hacked, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), said the Defense Department will begin “later this month” to notify employees and contractors across the government that their personal information was accessed by hackers.

Aug 26, 2015

British hacker for Islamic State killed in U.S. drone strike in Syria: sources

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A British hacker who U.S. and European officials said became a top cyber expert for Islamic State in Syria has been killed in a U.S. drone strike, a U.S. source familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

It was the second reported killing of a senior Islamic State figure in the last eight days. Islamic State’s second-in-command was killed in a U.S. air strike near Mosul, Iraq, on Aug. 18.

Aug 21, 2015

Swiss probe into FIFA runs into obstacles-sources

LONDON/NEW YORK (Reuters) – A Swiss criminal investigation
into corruption at the world soccer body FIFA has hit some
roadblocks, according to U.S. and European sources familiar with
the matter.

Barriers to progress include reduced levels of collaboration
with U.S. authorities. who are conducting a parallel probe that
is much more advanced, and an increasing acknowledgment by
prosecutors in Bern that their powers under Swiss law are
constrained in this kind of case, these people said.

Aug 20, 2015

Exclusive: Swiss, U.S. probes into FIFA unlikely to disrupt 2018 Russia World Cup

London (Reuters) – American and Swiss criminal investigations into corruption in global soccer are unlikely to lead to any threat to Russia retaining the hosting rights for the 2018 World Cup, according to U.S. and European sources familiar with the probes.

Prosecutors in New York and Zurich are examining whether there were irregularities in the awarding of the rights to hold that tournament and the 2022 competition, which went to Qatar. The executive committee of global soccer’s governing body, FIFA, made the decisions in 2010.  

Aug 20, 2015

Exclusive: Swiss, U.S. probes into FIFA unlikely to disrupt 2018 Russia World Cup – sources

London (Reuters) – American and Swiss criminal investigations into corruption in global football are unlikely to lead to any threat to Russia retaining the hosting rights for the 2018 World Cup, according to U.S. and European sources familiar with the probes.

Prosecutors in New York and Zurich are examining whether there were irregularities in the awarding of the rights to hold that tournament and the 2022 competition, which went to Qatar. The executive committee of global football’s governing body, FIFA, made the decisions in 2010.  

Aug 20, 2015

Swiss, US probes into FIFA unlikely to disrupt 2018 Russia World Cup – sources

London, Aug 20 (Reuters) – American and Swiss criminal investigations into corruption in global soccer are unlikely to lead to any threat to Russia retaining the hosting rights for the 2018 World Cup, according to U.S. and European sources familiar with the probes.

Prosecutors in New York and Zurich are examining whether there were irregularities in the awarding of the rights to hold that tournament and the 2022 competition, which went to Qatar. The executive committee of global soccer’s governing body, FIFA, made the decisions in 2010.