(Reuters) – Eight collector Corvettes that were swallowed by a sinkhole beneath a Kentucky museum may be stuck in the pit for weeks before General Motors Co can attempt to restore them, officials said on Thursday.
The historic cars, including the millionth Corvette built in 1992, fell up to 30 feet on Wednesday in a scene captured by security cameras at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. prosecutors on Thursday filed an appeal of the sentence of probation that kept billionaire Beanie Babies soft toy creator Ty Warner out of jail for his conviction on tax evasion.
Warner pleaded guilty in October to tax evasion and in January was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Chicago to two years probation and at least 500 hours community service that includes mentoring high school students.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – Three men accused of plotting to attack high-profile targets during a 2012 NATO summit in Chicago were convicted by a jury Friday on mob action and arson charges, but acquitted on terrorism-related charges, a setback for prosecutors.
The men, known as the “NATO 3,” had faced seven charges each, including conspiracy to commit terrorism under a state anti-terrorism law adopted after the September 11, 2001, attacks.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – A Chicago jury began deliberations on Thursday in the trial of three men who face terrorism charges for allegedly plotting to attack high-profile targets during a 2012 NATO summit.
A prosecutor said in closing arguments in Cook County Circuit Court that the so-called “NATO 3″ were bent on mayhem. Defense attorneys described the three as drunken braggarts who had talked big to impress undercover officers.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – Three men accused of plotting to attack high-profile targets during a 2012 NATO summit in Chicago were bent on mayhem, a prosecutor said in closing arguments on Thursday.
But a defense attorney said the three only talked big to impress undercover officers.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – Prosecutors call the three men terrorists, defense attorneys say they were clueless stoners, and jurors could soon decide the guilt or innocence of the trio accused of plotting to attack high-profile targets during the 2012 NATO summit in Chicago.
Closing arguments are expected on Thursday in the Chicago criminal trial of the so-called NATO 3 defendants – Brian Jacob Church, 22, and Brent Betterly, 25, both of Florida, and Jared Chase, 29, of New Hampshire.
Feb 4 (Reuters) – A Michigan man was sentenced to 12 years
in prison on Tuesday for a three-day shooting spree in October
2012 on a busy interstate highway that earned him the nickname
“I-96 shooter,” court officials said.
Raulie Casteel, 44, who was convicted last week in a
separate case involving the highway shootings, was sentenced
Tuesday in Oakland County Circuit Court on his plea of no
contest but mentally ill to assault and firearm charges.
(Reuters) – The number of U.S. criminals exonerated in 2013 climbed to a record high of 87, many of which were cleared due to DNA evidence or proof that the police forced a confession, according to a report released on Tuesday.
The states with the most exonerations last year were Texas, Illinois and New York, according to the National Registry of Exonerations, a project of the Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern University School of Law and the University of Michigan Law School.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – A nephew of former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter on Friday for causing the 2004 death of a suburban Chicago man during a drunken fight, according to the prosecutor.
The case sparked controversy in the nation’s third-largest city because of a long-running Chicago Sun-Times investigation into why Richard J. Vanecko was not charged when he threw a punch that took the life of David Koschman, 21.
(Reuters) – A Michigan man was convicted on Wednesday of terrorism charges for a three-day October 2012 shooting spree on a busy interstate highway that injured one person and earned him the nickname “I-96 shooter,” prosecutors said.
A Livingston County jury found Raulie Casteel, 44, guilty of Michigan terrorism charges based on 23 attacks, as well as assault with a dangerous weapon, firing a weapon from a vehicle and other felony weapons charges.