Facebook publishes new data on users in amended S-1 filing
In an amended S-1 form filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, Facebook provided updated figures about its user base, and new information on its acquisition of mobile photo app Instagram.
Here are some of the highlights from the filing:
- Facebook says it has 901 million active users. Based on a rounded world population of 6.8 billion people, this breaks down to about 1.3 Facebook accounts for every 10 people on the planet.
- Facebook says it serves 3.2 billion “likes” and comments daily.
- Facebook says it hosts 300 million photo uploads every day.
- There are 125 billion established friendships on the social network.
- It was widely reported that Facebook would choose NASDAQ for its listing. This was confirmed in the amended filing, with Facebook proposing “FB” as its market symbol.
Additionally, the filing dove into the acquisition of Instagram:
- It was widely known that Facebook bought Instagram for $1 billion, but the stock-to-cash breakdown wasn’t known until Monday.
- Facebook says it bought Instagram for $300 million in cash and 23 million shares of common stock.
- If the U.S. government blocks its acquisition of Instagram, Facebook says it has agreed to pay Instagram a termination fee of $200 million.