MediaFile

Is PC the new black? Ask Microsoft

September 18, 2008

im-a-pc.jpgLook out nerdy-cool Apple guy, the empire is striking back. And it’s got Eva Longoria Parker, Tony Parker, Pharrell Williams and Deepak Chopra on its side.

Microsoft is launching (another) new commercial campaign Thursday night. It takes aim at Apple’s “Mac vs. PC” campaign that has portrayed personal computers running Windows as clunky and uncool.

The commercial starts with a real-life Windows engineer who looks eerily similar to John Hodgman (the comedian who plays the role of “PC” in Apple’s commercials), saying “I’m a PC and I’ve been made into a stereotype.” After that is a montage of celebs and normal folk, saying “I’m a PC.”   Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, along with the aforementioned celebrities, makes an appearance in the ad.

The new commercial is easier to understand than the first series of ads from Microsoft that featured comedian Jerry Seinfeld. Microsoft said the Seinfeld ads were meant to be an “ice breaker” and get people taking about the company and Windows. (Although it could be argued that there was already a conversation about Windows, just not the one the company wanted.)

Microsoft Senior Vice President Mich Matthews , who heads up the company’s marketing efforts, said  the goal of the $300 million advertising push is to “take back the PC brand” and its new commercial is meant as a “bear hug” to the PC stereotype being defined by its competitors.

The television commercials will also be joined by billboard, online and newspaper ads pushing the theme of “Windows vs. Walls” — the concept that Windows allows for a life without walls.

Update: here is the ad.

Comments
8 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Too little. Too late. Bob. Vista. Zune, Absurd Surface. Money-losing XBox.

With a monopoly the size of M$ it will take some time, but this is the beginning of the end. The next big thing is Apple. When it falls, Linux. When it falls, ????

Sell your M$ stock and get something of value…like Lehman Bros.

Posted by Don | Report as abusive

Is it me, or is this ad a knock (not of the mac vs pc spots) but off the Mac Switchers campaign from circa ’01. ei; real people talking about what they do, and that they are Mac owners? I remember it. something tells me microsoft might not have had to pay C+P, and just dug up the old ads from their research and development files….

Posted by Andrew Barnes | Report as abusive

What’s all this “cool” stuff about anyway?
I never understood it… (turnin 19 end of next month)

One of the problems with MACs is – compatebility issues, little software (compared to Microsoft)… “cult status”

On the contrast, I can buy a top range Sony laptop (got an SZ7) run Windows, but it wont cause the same reaction as a MAC as its got a different image.
I may be seen as a Sony fan (true) but also as someone who has a good laptop, not someone who follows fashion.

Now then, from the Notebookreview forums I know that in some cases MAC lag behind in terms of technology, like HDMI output or Blue Ray in their laptop range.

Linux is in a way nice, but I can’t use it as I don’t understand it… somehow. (I mean, SUSE Linux 10 shouldbe easy but I can’t get wireless to work…)

Thus where do I stand:
Linux good if you know about computers, very efficient, bad driver support, sometimes you have to write your own.
A lot of software is free though, as is the operating system.

MAC “fan base” as far as I can see. No real advantages that I can see over Linux or Microsoft.

Microsoft, useable to everybody as its nowadays all plug and play, hardware support is near perfect (never had problems myself yet) however to some programmers it will offer some limitations. Software support/availability is also better than for the above.

Now if you’re an average person (non-geek) and want to use a computer that’s not going to come up with a compatebility issue at every corner, you’ll end up using Windows.

Posted by D.C.M. | Report as abusive

Okay, let’s get this right. OS X is like a Shirley Temple, Windows is like MD 20-20, and Linux is like a fine, 30-year old Scotch. Your pick.

Posted by Rambo Tribble | Report as abusive

Wait, you mean every PC user isn’t a sterotyped person? APPLE lied to me!

Good to see microsoft spit in the eye of Jobs.

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

(thought bubble)( ) 0 o
.. read .. read ..
Sounds like an ad that I might want to view.. Oh, here’s were I click to view the ad.. hmmm… it installs “silverlight” onto my system. Hey isn’t that a microsoft windows program?? We’re discussing the perception of Microsoft in the mind-space of computer users and only window’s users get to “feel good” with the “new image” after I download this exclusive bit of software for windows users only. What is Reuters participation in this “even-handedness”. There are so many ways of delivering video, ca’mon!

wow… lets put it this way, OS X is what an OS should be. It’s intuitive, simple, and the increases in productivity I see over using Win XP are staggering. Yet, it’s built on UNIX and if you go into console there are so many more things you can do with it that with that MS box you have.

As for me, I’m no fan. Nor do I think I’m cool. I use OS X because it’s better. Windoze at work, and 1/2 the time there are problems, issues, something isn’t working right. But at home, seamless computing. And believe you me, I had PC’s for a long time, even used excuses like – Win is more compatible, etc… Now I’m a convert. OS X all the way.

I’d give Linux a go, but as someone said, it’s just a ridiculous install, and the driver support is rubbish. Though from what I’ve seen on friends machines, definitely better than Win.

So what’s all this I’m alluding to. MSFT can run any campaign they want, but the fact is their products are utter rubbish. Dont work properly, are overpriced, and come with the added feature of the blue screen of death. Thanks but no thanks MSFT. You may be able to retain the PC users with your campaigns but you’ll never get a convert back.

Posted by James | Report as abusive

…interesting that this “i’m a pc” ad was created by a Mac running Adobe Creative Suite 3. PC looks cool and hip with their ads, just as long as they get a little help from a Mac. Irony?

Posted by Madie | Report as abusive