MediaFile

Fox chief: American Idol results shows were boring

January 7, 2009

Update: I made some changes here. The folks at Fox say that Tony Vinciquerra said he found the results shows in season seven boring — not the finale. They were right and I was wrong. Here is the entry, with my corrections (I rewrote the headline too.

You can’t say that Fox Chief Executive Tony Vinciquerra isn’t clear about what he wants from the American Idol staff. In short: he wants a less boring season finale with more interesting coaches for the contestants… and while we’re at it, more interesting contestants.

Talk about tough love from the big boss!

Here is what Vinciquerra said at a conference earlier on Wednesday when asked about News Corp’s Fox Network and the popular show that turns ordinary people into super-celebrities: The season seven finale (no — the result shows) were boring.

As for the celebrities who showed up as coaches, there was someone from Broadway whom “no one had ever heard of.” Then there was Dolly Parton: “A wonderful performer, but not what you want in developing the 18-49 audience.” And Neil Diamond: “Not the person you would want to be bringing in very young consumers, which is the audience of the show.”

And then there was one more critique: “I’m actually hoping the contestants have some personality this year, unlike last year.” Then he asked the moderator and the audience at the show to please not tell anyone that he said that.

We like Cat Stevens’s admonition: “If you want to sing out, sing out!” Then again, he’s too old for American Idol too, isn’t he, Tony?

(Photo: Reuters)

Comments
6 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Hey Tony – Don’t badmouth your celebrity coaches, fire the people who booked them on the show. If you didn’t approve in the first place how did they end up on there?

Dolly Parton is an American Icon, a living legend and one of the most talented singers/songwriters in the world.

And I think everyone in the world except you has heard of Andrew Llyod Weber.

Maybe FOX should be looking for a new TOP Executive. It is amazing that you can bad mouth three of America’s most beloved and recognizable entertainers and still have a job in show biz.

You suck!

Posted by Jonathan Brashier | Report as abusive

No kidding. I second that, Jonathan. I agree that the results shows were BORING (I DVRed them and ff through 95%).
However, I really enjoyed Andrew Lloyd Weber. He was probably my favorite guest, and YES I am a young, Gen Y viewer.

Posted by alex | Report as abusive

It’s always been a boring show. Cancel it! Put something else on! Dolly Parton is the best, and I only watched the show when she appeared.

Posted by Shane | Report as abusive

Yes i think FOX needs to look for a new TOP executive.

Dolly Parton is the Biggest Celeb to ever grace your stage, she has more money than God and its the nicest person in the world. Id much rather my 18-40 year old friends listen to her music than some of the BS that is out ther today.

Andrew Loyd Weber , is also an icon, im suprised you think people havent heard of him. I think you need to do your homework, and learn some respect for people that have paved the road for you so that u can have your little job making what in a year what they make from one single on radio!!!!Loser!!!!

Get a life

Posted by Patrick | Report as abusive

Never heard of Andrew Lloyd Webber? What world has this guy been living in? What an idiot. That was my favorite show, with Dolly Parton second. I hope this new guy isn’t going to be in a big rush to ruin American Idol. His comments have me scratching my head.

Posted by Paul | Report as abusive

Holaaaa ))! Funny Interviews with Alexis Grace, Michael Sarver and Danny Gokey – you must see! VIDEO and American Idol Season 8 Results VIDEO

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive