Facebook reports access issues in China

July 9, 2009

As the Chinese government worked to regain control of the streets on Wednesday following ethnic clashes in the northwestern region of Xinjiang, Facebook reported some problems with its service, even as Beijing moved to suppress anger and dissent that is simmering online.

“We’ve heard reports of access issues and the service does appear to be running slowly. We’re looking into the matter,” a Facebook spokesman said via email, without elaborating.

On Tuesday, access to Facebook also seemed to be disrupted in some places, although the company maintained it was not seeing any changes in traffic. Still, users in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing and Chongqing said they could not reach the site. In addition, access to Twitter was apparently blocked and search restrictions for Xinjiang topics were in place on Twitter’s Chinese rival, Fanfou.com.

Xinjiang is one of the most politically sensitive areas in China. Paramilitary police patrolled the streets in Urumqi, the region’s capital, on Wednesday to try to restore order after clashes between Muslim Uighurs and Han Chinee left 156 people dead and more than 1,000 injured.

I’m in Wuhan (central China), and Facebook is completely inaccessible here. And the death toll is 156 by Beijing’s account — and we know how Beijing is fond of under-reporting bad news. Other accounts put the death toll as high as 800.

Posted by Cosmo | Report as abusive

In in Beijing and Facebook is totally blocked as well here.
Proxify it http://www.sneakme.com or Freegate…

Posted by Romain | Report as abusive

I’m in shanghai. I want to know when the Facebook will be available.

Posted by Pauline | Report as abusive

Cosmo have you tried using a proxy server? In this case your search query will be done via a third party site with randomly rotating IP addresses. You should be able to access any restricted site using this, and your IP address can’t be traced by the Chinese authorities.

Facebook has been completely blocked in Beijing since 6.30pm (ish) on the 7th of July

From Beijing then after travelling to Xiamen, Facebook is still blocked.

Posted by VC | Report as abusive

Facebook is not accessible in Nanjing (Jiangsu Province) either…is there any solution?

Posted by Univ | Report as abusive

I’ve been in Shenzhen for a few days and can confirm that facebook is totally blocked. 杀死我!

Posted by Anon | Report as abusive

I’m in Shanghai and it’s still blocked… I agree with Anon “shasi wo!”

Is there any word on how long this block will last? Will they eventually drop the block, or is facbook going to be locked away (seemingly) forever like youtube?

Posted by chagnasty | Report as abusive

I’m in China on vacation right now. Facebook is completely inaccessible here! I’m going to be left with so much mail, notifications, invitations, etc. when I head back. Mark Zuckerger, please fix this problem. Everyone is frustrated.

Posted by Emily | Report as abusive

It is now July 15 and I am unable to access facebook in Dalian China.

Posted by Marvin Bjornson | Report as abusive

I can’t believe it. The moment I get back to Chengdu in Sichuan. I find facebook blocked. You dont think it’ll be permanent do you? Like youtube seems to be?

Posted by Kate | Report as abusive

I’m in Zhongshan – just got in from Fuzhou – and it’s blocked here, too…. ugh!

Posted by nilrac | Report as abusive

facebk facebk…. its been 2days since i last saw you
and im missing you so so much.
Wish my Beijing trip comes to an end asap. I NEED YOU FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!

Posted by kim | Report as abusive

I am a s’porean living in Xiamen, China. Was back in Sg for the whole of Jul till 2 days ago. Since returning to Xiamen, I realised that I am unable to access Facebook via both Web and WAP! Looks like this problem exists throughout the whole of China. When will connection to Facebook from China resume?

Posted by Sharon Toh | Report as abusive

[...] sites are later restored, but as of January 2010 access remains restricted. Facebook reports access problems and will remain inaccessible from China as of January [...]