10 AOL staffers jump to Townsquare Media
Former AOL Media President Bill Wilson has snagged 10 of his former colleagues from his old company to join the venture that develops sites for local radio stations Townsquare Media. In an announcement, Wilson, who serves as Townsquare Media’s executive vice president and chief digital officer, said the company has relaunched over 30 digital sites for local radio stations and plans to redo all of the company’s 171 radio station digital properties by the first quarter of 2011.
The Townsquare announcement is timely in that AOL has been in the news lately reportedly trying to figure out a way to combine with Yahoo. One latest path to marriage: AOL is exploring a breakup, that could including dumping its dying but still lucrative dial up business and combining the rest of the company with Yahoo. At the same time, AOL Chief Executive Tim Armstrong is trying to transform itself into a major online media player to capture more ad revenue. These and other recent departures raise the specter that something might be afoot at AOL.
Below are the latest Townsquare hires:
- Sun Sachs joins as vice president, product design & engineering from AOL where he was vice president design and product for AOL Media
- Jared Willig is vice president digital strategy & operations and was with AOL as vice president, general manager of Moviefone, AOL TV and PopEaster
- Pete Schiecke joins as director, digital media from AOL where he was a programming director at AOL Radio
- Stephen Lenz serves as editorial director and was previously AOL senior editor of national feature content for City Guide
- Juan Sarria is director of engineering and last served as an AOL manager of engineering and tool development at AOL Media
- Jon Gamel is Townsquare art director and was a former art director at AOL Media
- Eric Tsuei joins as senior developer and was most recently senior front-end engineer at AOL Media
- Ashley Iasimone is Townsquare deputy director and used to serve on the editorial team at AOL Music
- Matthew Wilkening is deputy editor and was an AOL Radio blog contributor
- Sara D. Anderson, deputy editor and former editor in chief of AOL Radio blog
- Additionally, Andrea Rosen joined Townsquare as digital content manager from Rocketboom