MediaFile

“Modern Warfare 3″ vs “Battlefield 3″ fight turns ugly

June 9, 2011

The showdown between next fall’s biggest first-person shooters escalated at E3 this week, with EA’s and Activision Blizzard’s top brass exchanging some vitriol. Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard’s CEO first went on CNBC on Monday claiming that EA’s “Battlefield 3″ was just a PC title with only a ”small audience.” In response, EA’s CEO, John Riccitiello, told Reuters that Kotick was spreading misinformation about “Battlefield 3″ and that contrary to what Kotick said, it would be widely available on consoles.

Here’s what both CEOs told me:

BOBBY KOTICK, CEO, ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

“We just want to stay true to the interest of the Call of Duty fans and we try to not get distracted by what people are doing. I can’t objectively tell you what I think of other products until I see them. Battlefield I’ve only seen on a PC and nobody’s seen it on a console yet. Most of our consumers play games on a console. Until I see it on a console, I wouldn’t be objective on commenting on it.”

JOHN RICCITIELLO, CEO ELECTRONIC ARTS

“It’s the beginning of the war and (Kotick) recognizes they’re going to be threatened. We’re going to have a clash of the titans this fall. The very fact that he’s trying to cast doubt on our game is a perfect example of how we got his goat. In terms of where this goes, we think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game and our PC game is better than their PC game. If that’s all he’s got to say, it’s obviously going to evaporate as we launch all three. If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage. If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.”

Comments
14 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Theres no Dinosaurs in MW3, i’d play it if there was. I’d be scared too if I were Activision, from the looks of it MW3 looks like Warfare 2 with polished glossy graphics. As a veteran of both franchises I see Battlefield 3 as setting a new bar for FPS. Im looking forward to console version Of Battlefield 3 and im confident that its going to look beautiful in 1080p on my 42 inch. Probably surpassing graphics on all platforms against MW3.

Posted by Sundance540 | Report as abusive

Umm… I think you screwed up the title. Modern Warfare and Battlefield are both EA titles, they can’t compete against each other. Did you mean vs. Call of Duty?
egg-face-ouch

Posted by PhillipMcKrackn | Report as abusive

They didn’t screw up anything. Modern Warfare is an Activision title and is part of the Call of Duty line of games (Modern Warfare 1 was Call of Duty 4). Looks like the egg is on your face.

Posted by mk0528 | Report as abusive

Modern Warfare 3 is the title of the next installment in the Call of Duty franchise. It’s an Activision game, not EA.

Posted by malaria | Report as abusive

What is truly funny about all this is that these guys truly don’t care about who has a higher quality game. When it comes down to it, it’s all about the money, and Call Of Duty wins every time. I will be buying both so I really dont care which one sells more. They will both be fun but for different reasons.

Posted by MisterWolters | Report as abusive

You guys are arguing about the name??? The name of the game is to play it. Im not sure but you guys should really start playing video games. they’re real fun for ya.

Posted by Sundance540 | Report as abusive

Oops, my bad should have double checked. Just so used to CALL OF DUTY: Whatever. Of course I was thinking of Medal of Honor which wasn’t mentioned in this article.
egg-face-ouch.

Posted by PhillipMcKrackn | Report as abusive

Cod series is nothing special. They spit them out like candy knowing that the average console gamer will more than likely get. Also the ceo of activision got turned down to play battlefield bad company 3.
Battlefield 3 has better graphics more innovation than COD period. Guess what PC is always better than a console

Posted by Juggalo23451 | Report as abusive

I am getting both titles. Deciding for which console where I am at. I see in John Riccitiello’s statement he said, “We think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game.” Since its common knowledge that CoD caters to the Xbox, he must by implying that BF3 will have the PS3 as the lead console. So I will get it for the PS3 and MW3 for Xbox. Wonder if Activision really mistook the console version demo for the PC. That’s good news.

Posted by Tisoyboy2 | Report as abusive

I pre-ordered MW3 but I am considering getting battlefield 3 as well because of what people have said about its graphics and how realistic it is.

Posted by CODfan13 | Report as abusive

Honestly, I will be buying Modern Warfare 3 over the supposedly better Battlefield 3. The graphics may be ahead of MW3′s, but that is only because they have invested in a new graphics engine. Infinity Ward is trying to get one last “hurrah” out of the old one that brought us CoD 4, a game many still play. Many are moving on from their old engines, just recently Bethesda parted ways with Gamebryo, in favor of their new CREATION engine. you will no doubt see this transistion in future CoD games, possibly started with the next Treyarch title. Everyone also argues about how Call of Duty is very linear, and it is. What they don’t realize is that even though Battlefield is a more free game environment, the story line is also very linear. They are both different games appealing to different players, that is why neither has gained an definitive edge. I think it will be how BF: BC2 was to MW2, talk a big game, end up disappointing the Call of duty players who pick it up, but keeping the hardcore BF fans,and the Call of Duty players will be playing MW3.

Posted by kchnz1 | Report as abusive

I’ll get BF3 on the PS3 and MW2 on the 360, problem solved.

Posted by PSN_GAMERTAG | Report as abusive

I have been a fan of COD since its inception and just recently bought and played Bad Company 1 & 2. I love COD, but Bad Company was very enjoyable to play. BBC2′s graphics were amazing and on par with COD Black Ops. I think the ability to destroy the environment in Battlefield is what really puts it over the top. I’ve seen the trailers for Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 and I’m looking forward to and buying them both but, I think Battlefield might steal the show.

Posted by jwfalke | Report as abusive