MediaFile

Vibe magazine publisher feels reader backlash

At least one subscriber of defunct hip-hop culture magazine Vibe wants to know why he’s not getting a refund — and is willing to go to court to get it.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan, Alabama resident Kenneth Rogers said he purchased a one year subscription three months before the shock announcement and wants all subscribers to get their money back. Rogers sued for breach of contract and unjust enrichment for a lost subscription and is seeking class action status to allow others to join in the fight.

“As the magazine was quietly closing up the shop, the Vibe website continued to contain links to advertisements enticing customers to purchase subscriptions to the magazine,” the lawsuit says, naming Vibe Media Group as a defendant along with unnamed people associated with the magazine. Vibe should have “publicly disclosed to subscribers that it was teetering on the brink of insolvency,” it says.

It said a one-year subscription cost between $9.95 and $14.95, and Vibe, the baby of acclaimed music producer Quincy Jones (Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and “Off the Wall” albums included), had more than 800,000 subscribers.

Did Vibe miss the online vibe?

Here’s an entry from our very own Reuters New York equities team summer intern Chavon Sutton. (Thanks, Chavon!)

Did Vibe magazine, the print ambassador of hip-hop culture, voice and style, pass up a chance to survive last year?

Vibe, the baby of acclaimed producer Quincy Jones (the composer who produced the late Michael Jackson’s mega-hit albums, “Thriller” and “Off the Wall,”), said earlier this week that it was shutting down immediately.