LONDON (Reuters) – Britain’s top counter-terrorism police officer said on Tuesday arrests linked to fighting in Syria had risen dramatically this year and that significant progress was being made to trace a British man suspected of murdering American journalist James Foley.
Launching an appeal to Muslim communities to help identify “aspiring terrorists”, Mark Rowley, the National Policing Lead for Counter Terrorism, said Britain had been escalating its efforts to address rising terrorism problems relating to Syria.
LONDON (Reuters) – Evidence which shows Russia was behind the 2006 murder of former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko in London will mostly be given in secret, the chairman of a public inquiry into his death said on Thursday.
Kremlin critic Litvinenko, 43, died after being poisoned with a radioactive isotope in November 2006, a crime which from his death bed he blamed on Russian President Vladimir Putin. Russia has repeatedly denied any involvement.
Anti-Semitic incidents in Britain have risen to a near record level since the start of an Israeli assault on the Palestinian enclave of Gaza this month, a Jewish advisory body said on Thursday.
LONDON (Reuters) – A former tabloid reporter who admitted hacking hundreds of phones to find stories for two Sunday newspapers was spared jail on Thursday for helping secure the conviction of Prime Minister David Cameron’s ex-media chief Andy Coulson.
Dan Evans gave evidence for the prosecution during the eight-month trial of Coulson, who was jailed for 18 months earlier in July for his role in widespread phone-hacking at Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World title.
LONDON (Reuters) – Britain announced on Tuesday it would hold a public inquiry into the death of a former Russian spy who accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of ordering his murder, but denied the decision was linked to the Ukraine crisis.
A year ago, the British government declined to order an inquiry into the killing of ex-KGB spy Alexander Litvinenko, who died after drinking tea poisoned with a radioactive isotope in a London hotel in 2006. That led to accusations Britain was appeasing the Kremlin, which has always denied involvement.
LONDON, July 21 (Reuters) – Mazher Mahmood, a British
journalist known for his undercover work posing as a “fake
sheikh”, was suspended by Rupert Murdoch’s Sun newspaper on
Monday after the collapse of a celebrity trial in which he was a
His suspension comes just weeks after the editor and senior
journalists from a now-defunct Murdoch tabloid were jailed for
their part in a phone-hacking scandal which led to demands for
action over the “dark arts” of Britain’s aggressive tabloid
LONDON (Reuters) – A former Libyan Islamist commander who says he suffered years of torture by Muammar Gaddafi’s henchmen after British and U.S. spies handed him over to Libya will try this week to overturn a ruling blocking legal action against the British government.
Abdel Hakim Belhadj, a rebel leader who helped topple Gaddafi in 2011 and is now leader of the Libyan al-Watan Party, says he and his pregnant wife Fatima were abducted by U.S. CIA agents in Thailand in 2004 and then illegally transferred to Tripoli with the help of British spies.
LONDON, July 16 (Reuters) – Six former journalists on Rupert
Murdoch’s now defunct British tabloid, the News of the World,
will not face charges in connection with widespread
phone-hacking at the paper, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
Earlier this month, Andy Coulson, the paper’s former editor
who later became Prime Minister David Cameron’s media chief, was
jailed for encouraging the hacking of voicemails on mobile
phones in a bid to find exclusive stories.
LONDON (Reuters) – British Prime Minister David Cameron’s former media chief Andy Coulson was jailed for 18 months on months on Friday for being complicit in widespread phone-hacking by journalists to obtain scoops at the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid he edited.
Coulson, editor of the now defunct News of the World newspaper from 2003-2007, was convicted last week of conspiracy to intercept voicemails on mobile phones following a high-profile eight-month trial at London’s Old Bailey court.
LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) – Rolf Harris, a mainstay of
family entertainment in Britain and Australia for more than 50
years, was found guilty on Monday on 12 charges of indecently
assaulting young girls over two decades.
Harris, 84, was unanimously convicted by a jury of six men
and six women of sexually assaulting four girls, some as young
as seven or eight, between 1968 and 1986.