Michael's Feed
Jun 30, 2014

Children’s star Rolf Harris found guilty of serial sex assaults

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) – Rolf Harris, a mainstay of
family entertainment in Britain and Australia for more than 50
years, was found guilty on Monday on 12 charges of indecently
assaulting young girls over two decades.

Harris, 84, was unanimously convicted by a jury of six men
and six women of sexually assaulting four girls, some as young
as seven or eight, between 1968 and 1986.

Jun 30, 2014

Cameron’s former aide Coulson to be re-tried over royal payments

LONDON (Reuters) – Prime Minister David Cameron’s ex-media chief Andy Coulson, found guilty last week over phone-hacking while editing a Rupert Murdoch tabloid, will stand trial for a second time over alleged illegal payments, prosecutors said on Monday.

Coulson was convicted by a jury of being complicit in widespread tapping of voicemails by journalists at Murdoch’s now defunct News of the World Sunday tabloid following an eight-month trial at London’s Old Bailey.

Jun 30, 2014

UK PM Cameron’s former aide Coulson to be re-tried over royal payments

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) – British Prime Minister David
Cameron’s ex-media chief Andy Coulson, found guilty last week
over phone-hacking while editing a Rupert Murdoch tabloid, will
stand trial for a second time over alleged illegal payments,
prosecutors said on Monday.

Coulson was convicted by a jury of being complicit in
widespread tapping of voicemails by journalists at Murdoch’s now
defunct News of the World Sunday tabloid following an
eight-month trial at London’s Old Bailey.

Jun 26, 2014

Late UK TV star Savile said to have sexually abused dead bodies

LONDON (Reuters) – Jimmy Savile, the late BBC TV presenter revealed two years ago to have been one of Britain’s most prolific sex offenders, might have sexually abused dead bodies in a hospital where he worked as a volunteer, health investigators said on Thursday.

In 2012 police said Savile, one of the Britain’s best-known celebrities in the 1970s and 1980s, had sexually abused hundreds of victims, mainly youngsters, at hospitals and at BBC premises over six decades until his death aged 84 in 2011.

Jun 25, 2014

In defence of Rebekah Brooks: a British lawyer cripples the prosecution case

LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) – Just weeks before her trial on
phone-hacking charges was due to start, Rebekah Brooks got some
crushing news: the former head of Rupert Murdoch’s British
newspaper arm learnt that her main defence lawyer could no
longer represent her.

Brooks need not have worried about losing John Kelsey-Fry,
who dropped out as he himself might be called as a witness in
the case, even though he is one of Britain’s best trial lawyers.

Jun 24, 2014

Murdoch protegee Brooks cleared in case that shook British establishment

LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) – Rebekah Brooks, the former boss
of Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper arm, was acquitted on
Tuesday of orchestrating a campaign to hack into phones and
bribe officials in a case that has shaken the British political
establishment.

A jury at London’s Old Bailey court cleared Brooks
unanimously but found Andy Coulson – her former lover and Prime
Minister David Cameron’s ex-media chief – guilty of conspiring
to intercept messages to break news about royalty, celebrities
and victims of crime.

Jun 24, 2014

Special Report: Rebekah Brooks – The tangled tale of a tabloid career

LONDON (Reuters) – On July 7, 2011, at the height of Britain’s phone-hacking scandal, Rebekah Brooks announced the closure of Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, The News of the World. That evening, she sat with senior colleagues in a restaurant in London’s Chelsea Harbour, fighting back tears.

    The group – which included James Murdoch, chairman of News Corp’s British newspaper arm – vowed to fight on. ”It was them against the world,” said a former senior News Corp figure with knowledge of the dinner. “They just believed … it was once more unto the breach. Just one more charge.”

Jun 24, 2014

Rebekah Brooks: The tangled tale of a tabloid career

LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) – On July 7, 2011, at the height
of Britain’s phone-hacking scandal, Rebekah Brooks announced the
closure of Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, The News of the
World. That evening, she sat with senior colleagues in a
restaurant in London’s Chelsea Harbour, fighting back tears.

The group – which included James Murdoch, chairman of News
Corp’s British newspaper arm – vowed to fight on. “It was them
against the world,” said a former senior News Corp figure with
knowledge of the dinner. “They just believed … it was once
more unto the breach. Just one more charge.”

Jun 24, 2014

Protégée’s acquittal boosts Murdoch, but spell over UK politics broken

LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) – The acquittal of Rupert
Murdoch’s protegee over phone hacking at his News of the World
tabloid is a relief for the 83-year-old tycoon and his
businesses, although his 40 year spell over British politics is
probably still broken for good.

A jury on Tuesday found former News of the World editor Andy
Coulson guilty of conspiracy to hack into voicemail messages.
But Murdoch’s protegee Rebekah Brooks was cleared of those
charges, as well as accusations of making illegal payments to
officials and perverting the course of justice.

Jun 24, 2014

Murdoch protegee Brooks cleared of all hacking charges in UK trial

LONDON (Reuters) – Rebekah Brooks, the former boss of Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper arm, was acquitted on Tuesday of orchestrating a campaign to hack into phones and bribe officials in the hunt for exclusive news.

A jury at London’s Old Bailey cleared Brooks unanimously but found Andy Coulson, Prime Minister David Cameron’s former media chief and ex-editor of one of Murdoch’s British titles, guilty of being part of the phone-hacking conspiracy after a seven-month trial.