TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi shows no sign of giving any ground as rebels win wider recognition abroad, so, with no breakthrough likely in the war, a stalemate looks set to extend well into the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
If anything, diplomatic efforts to end the five-month conflict may have been further complicated by rifts emerging between the rebels and their Western allies over whether or not Gaddafi could stay in the country even if he stood down.
TRIPOLI (Reuters) – A U.N envoy trying to find a way to end the war in Libya said after talks with the prime minister in Tripoli on Tuesday that the government and the rebels remained far apart in the drive for an end to the crisis.
The government told him NATO must end air strikes before any talks could begin and that Muammar Gaddafi’s role as leader was non-negotiable, though rebels and the West insist he step down.
TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Efforts to find a deal to end the civil war in Libya intensified on Tuesday, with a U.N. special envoy heading for Tripoli and Western powers signaling that Muammar Gaddafi could stay in the country if he gives up power.
U.N. envoy Abdul Elah al-Khatib, who visited the rebels in Benghazi on Monday, is looking for a “political process” that will end a war that has failed to dislodge Gaddafi despite months of rebel attacks backed by NATO bombing raids.
TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Explosions rocked central Tripoli for the second night in a row and Britain said weeks of NATO bombardment had inflicted extensive damage on Muammar Gaddafi’s heavily-fortified compound.
Libya’s leader is clinging to power despite a four-month-old NATO air campaign and a lengthening conflict with rebels seeking an end to his 41-year rule and who have seized large swathes of the North African country.
TRIPOLI, Libya (Reuters) – Libya is ready to hold more talks with the United States and with rebels trying to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi, but the Libyan leader will not bow to demands he quit, a government spokesman said.
Moussa Ibrahim said Libyan officials had a “productive dialogue” with U.S. counterparts last week in a rare meeting that followed American recognition of the rebel government that hopes to end Gaddafi’s 41-year rule.
TRIPOLI, Libya (Reuters) Libyan representatives are ready to hold more talks with the United States and with rebels hoping to push Muammar Gaddafi from power, a Libyan government spokesman said, but Gaddafi will not bow to demands he leave power.
Government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said that senior Libyan officials had a “productive dialogue’ with U.S. counterparts last week in a rare meeting that followed the Obama administration’s recognition of the rebel government that hopes to end Gaddafi’s 41-year rule.
SIRTE, Libya, July 21 (Reuters) – Libyan leader Muammar
Gaddafi ruled out on Thursday talks with the rebels seeking to
end his 41-year-rule, casting doubt on a flurry of Western
efforts to negotiate an end to a deepening civil conflict.
“There will be no talks between me and them until Judgment
Day,” Gaddafi told a crowd of thousands of his supporters in his
home city of Sirte in a remotely delivered audio message. “They
need to talk with the Libyan people … and they will respond to
SIRTE, Libya (Reuters) – Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Thursday ruled out talks with the rebels trying to end his 41-year-rule, raising questions about whether a flurry of Western efforts to negotiate an end to the deepening conflict can succeed.
“There will be no talks between me and them until Judgment Day,” Gaddafi told a crowd of thousands of supporters in his home city of Sirte in a remotely delivered audio message. “They need to talk with the Libyan people … and they will respond to them.”
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama’s plan for pulling U.S. troops from Afghanistan will intensify risks in the thick of next year’s fighting season, but Obama was right to factor in waning support at home for the war, outgoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates told Reuters.
Gates, who steps down on Thursday after four and a half years as the U.S. defense chief, said Obama’s advisers had put forward different options for gradually shrinking the 100,000-strong U.S. force in Afghanistan, where after almost a decade of war the Taliban remains a deadly, resilient enemy.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The general poised to take command of Western forces in Afghanistan on Tuesday embraced President Barack Obama’s plan to withdraw a third of U.S. troops, saying it can be done without undermining the war effort.
Lieutenant General John Allen, expected to be confirmed as commander of U.S. and NATO forces, stood in contrast to other top U.S. brass in his unqualified support for the plan to pull 33,000 troops from Afghanistan over the next 15 months.