Nick's Feed
Jun 25, 2011

Sarkozy defends Libya mission, U.S. House keeps funding

BRUSSELS/TRIPOLI (Reuters) – France rejected on Friday U.S. criticism of Europe’s performance in the NATO operation against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi while the U.S. administration survived Congressional anger in a funding vote.

Gaddafi has managed to stay in power despite months of NATO air operations to weaken his rule and help rebels based mainly in eastern Libya who have tried to advance on the west.

Jun 24, 2011

Tripoli opposition waits for its moment

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Muammar Gaddafi’s fearsome security apparatus appears to be weakening in Tripoli, but it is still too powerful to risk an uprising — that is the view of Libyans who say they are part of a burgeoning underground opposition network in the capital.

The handful of activists, who spoke to Reuters journalists on condition that neither their identities nor the location of the meeting be revealed, said Gaddafi was keeping control of the city through informants, mass arrests and killings.

Jun 24, 2011

After tasting freedom, many Libyans can’t keep quiet

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Standing opposite the wreckage of what used to be the Hotel Wenzrik in central Tripoli, the Libyan man spoke his mind to reporters for a good few minutes, even as their government minders began to zero in on him.

“It has been going for a long time and people are looking for a settlement,” he said of the war with NATO and identifying himself as Zarroug, a self-employed trader.

Jun 24, 2011

Tripoli activists plot revolt without Facebook

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – In the brief, heady period at the start of the uprising in the Libyan capital against Muammar Gaddafi, activists relied on Facebook and text messages to network, organize and express themselves.

But then the government shut down the Internet and SMS text messaging from mobile phones, effectively throwing the anti-Gaddafi movement into the dark.

Jun 24, 2011

Europe “doing the work” in Libya – Sarkozy

BRUSSELS/TRIPOLI, June 24 (Reuters) – French President
Nicolas Sarkozy on Friday rebuffed criticism of Europe’s role in
the Libyan war by outgoing U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates,
saying Washington’s allies were “doing the work”.

The spat is the latest sign of tensions among NATO allies in
their campaign to oust Muammar Gaddafi, with Britain, France and
others rejecting an Italian call earlier this week for a
suspension of hostilities to allow humanitarian aid access.

Jun 24, 2011

NATO chief says alliance will finish job in Libya

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – NATO’s chief on Thursday dismissed a call from Italy for a suspension of hostilities in Libya and tried to reassure wavering members of the Western coalition that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi can be beaten.

Italy’s ceasefire call exposed the strain on the NATO alliance, nearly 14 weeks into a bombing campaign that has so far failed to dislodge Gaddafi but is causing mounting concerns about its financial cost and about civilian casualties.

Jun 23, 2011

NATO chief tries to repair cracks over Libya

TRIPOLI, June 23 (Reuters) – NATO’s chief on Thursday
slapped down a call from Italy for a suspension of hostilities
in Libya and tried to reassure wavering members of the Western
coalition that Muammar Gaddafi can be beaten.

Italy’s ceasefire call exposed the strain on the NATO
alliance, nearly 14 weeks into a bombing campaign that has so
far failed to dislodge Gaddafi but is causing mounting concerns
about its cost and about civilian casualties.

Jun 20, 2011

Libya civilian deaths sap NATO credibility – Italy

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – The NATO military alliance has endangered its credibility with a bomb that destroyed a house in the Libyan capital, killing several residents, Italy’s foreign minister said on Monday.

It was the first time NATO had acknowledged causing multiple civilian casualties in Libya and came as the alliance feels the strain of a campaign taking more time and resources than expected.

Jun 20, 2011

NATO admits Libya air strike led to civilian deaths

TRIPOLI, June 20 (Reuters) – NATO has admitted it destroyed
a house in Tripoli in which Libyan officials said nine civilians
were killed, an incident likely to sow new doubts inside the
alliance about its mission in Libya.

The air strike was the clearest case yet of NATO bombing
causing multiple civilian casualties, and comes at a time when
NATO is already under strain from a campaign that is taking more
time and resources than it expected.

Jun 20, 2011

NATO admits to civilian deaths in Tripoli air strike

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – NATO admitted on Sunday that its weapons destroyed a house in Tripoli in which Libyan officials said nine civilians were killed, an incident likely to sow new doubts inside the alliance about its mission in Libya.

The strike on the house was the clearest case yet of NATO bombing causing multiple civilian casualties, and comes at a time when NATO is already under strain from a campaign that is taking more time and resources than its backers had expected.

    • About Nick

      "Nick Carey is a Chicago-based, British-born journalist who has covered everything from the near-collapse of the Big Three automakers to the U.S. housing crisis. Nick is currently on general assignment, reporting on the human impact of the recession. He previously spent ten years working in central and eastern Europe."
    • More from Nick

    • Follow Nick