Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Good golly, Miss Trolley!

August 27, 2007

bus-2-140-vert.jpgBlog Guy, you give good career advice, and I need some. I’ve seen an ad for a job in some place I’ve never heard of. It says I’d get to work outdoors and travel. The job is called “trolleybus driver’s assistant” – is that like a conductor?

Well, if things go badly I guess you could be a conductor, but not exactly the kind you’re thinking of. As a driver’s assistant in Tajikistan, you get to sit like the guy in this photo, and pull down on the poles at just the right time, so it can roll through unwired crossroads.

My Gosh! Is there anything worse than doing that job?

Yes, doing that job during thunderstorm season.

More Oddly Enough Blogbus-360.jpg

A driver’s assistant pulls down the poles on top of a trolleybus, in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, August 21, 2007. REUTERS/Nozim Kalandarov

Comments

The latest craze in extreme sports is taking the nation by storm….Trolley Launching can be extremely dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. Simply pull back on the rubber band and launch yourself forward over the slingshot. The danger comes after you land (hopefully far ahead of the trolley), as you have to roll to the curb to keep from being run over…

Posted by K | Report as abusive

The bouncy trolley fun-time ride wasn’t a great success as there was only room for one rider at a time.

Posted by Lady Weasel | Report as abusive

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley,
Ding, ding, ding went the bell,
Zap, zap, zap went the wires,
And the moment it shocked me I fell

Buzz, buzz, buzz went my bra-ain,
Pop, pop, pop went my heart,
Stop, stop, stop went my breathing,
As I started to die then I started to know how it goes
When electricity flows

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

, Tajikistan. In the next scene he attaches the polls to his [DELETED]

He was promoted from Honey Wagon Driver’s Assistant.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

I’ll take Curse Your Boss for $1000, Alex.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

My know-it-all brother-in-law earns his bachelor’s degree in Tajikistan – $1200.00
My brother-in-law earns his master’s degree in Tajikistan – $1700.00
My stuck-up brother-in-law defended his Doctoral Thesis; a sythesis of quantum foam dynamics coupled with whispering gallery mode geometry and quasi-stable waveforms – $2300.00
My brother-in-law at work – priceless.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive