Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Flying cars not a total success…

September 14, 2007

ranch-180.jpgMany of you have heard of the German highway where there is practically no speed limit and you can drive as fast as you want, called the autobahn – not to be mistaken for John James Audubon, that bird artist whose name sounds kind of similar.

Anyway, what you may not know, is that once a year they remove a 20-foot section of the autobahn with no warning, just to see how many cars can make it over the gap. As you can see from the photo below, not everyone succeeds. This annual experiment may have inspired the famous sculpture “Cadillac Ranch,” in Texas (see thumbnail photo by Rik Gruwez).

Wait, maybe this isn’t what is happening here at all. Alternative suggestions are welcome, via Post a Comment.

More Oddly Enough Blog

cars-360.jpgA promotional installation of Mini cars that were stuck into a pile of sand is seen outside the fairgrounds of the Frankfurt International Auto Show IAA in Frankfurt September 12, 2007. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay

Comments

After rigorous testing it was found that the best type of car to launch from the new model of the mark 5 car launcher was the 2 tone mini. It beat out its compeditors by at least 10 feet.

Posted by K F | Report as abusive

…And so, children, if you bury a windshield wiper or a side-view mirror, and make sure to water often, you can grow your very own car…

Seriously, though, I actually saw that when we were driving through Amarillo a couple of years ago. At first it just didn’t register that they were cars. If I had known it was a tourist attraction, I probably would have wanted to stop. But it kind of looks ominous when you’re driving down the road. You know, around here, if you catch a lot of catfish, you hang catfish heads in a row on your fence (don’t ask me why), and we even have a dude that puts boots in a row on his fence posts (which makes me think that he’s maybe killed a lot of cowboys). I guess when I first saw those cars, they reminded me of that kind of thing. Almost like a warning to any motorists that stray off the beaten path. You never know. People are crazy. Especially people in Texas.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

K, this is very important. Have you ever hung catfish from YOUR fence?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Ok rob thats scary. I was gonna ask that question. As for growing cars. K your advice is flawed. Regular watering is essential. But you also need to fertalise at least once a month. Those cars eat up the nutrients in the soil like there is no tomorrow.

Posted by K F | Report as abusive

Also one must stress that they have ALMOST no speed limit. My friend is living over there for the summer and parts of it are like 50mph an lower apparently. He got busted doing like 100mph which is somehwere in the region of 160kph. At least the photo of him speeding got his good side eh?

Posted by K F | Report as abusive

Um. No.

But when I was in high school, people occasionally brought me dead animals and I skinned them. So I did have animal heads lined up in my dad’s shop on a shelf.

Don’t worry, it was just a phase.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Thanks,K… It’s a good thing you don’t know I live in Juneau, in case you ever go off the deep end and coming looking for me….

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

In an effort to avoid seeing the rising price of fuel, automobiles across the world have begun burying their heads in the sand.

“No, no!” Hans shouted at his clueless assistant. “I said Österreich, not Ostrich!”

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

Versions one through four of the gyrocopter were not entirely successful …

I gotta get me a couple guys, pull them cars out late one night and put them in a mixed-up order. Maybe, put ‘em one in with the engine up.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Don’t coopers make barrels? Do people drive these things over Niagra? Just asking the question.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive