Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Put your bags in the Spice Rack, girls

December 13, 2007

victoria-160.jpgThere’s an odd new trend, naming airplanes after women. I don’t mean aviation pioneers like Amelia Earhart. I mean like the Victoria’s Secret models. The latest example is this Spice Girls thing, where they paint up the fuselage, invite cameramen, and the next thing you know we’re issuing 17 still photos, a slideshow¬†and a video clip. I guess that sounds fair.

The thing is, nobody seems to have time to be clever anymore. Spice One isn’t a very imaginative name. If this trend had begun back when sex goddess Jayne Mansfield was alive, hers could have been called Plane Jayne. And if Mother Teresa had her own airliner, it could have been Nun One. Now that’s fun!

Oh well, a few more years and a few more wrinkles, and they’ll be able to call this one “Old Spice.”

spice-460.jpgSpice Girls unveil a Boeing 747 plane named “Spice One” at Los Angeles international airport on December 12, 2007. REUTERS photos by Mario Anzuoni

More stories from the Oddly Enough Blog

Comments

The Spice Girls huh? I never really understood their names. Shouldn’t chicks like that have names like “Cumin” or “Cinnamon” or “Mrs. Dash”? I don’t recall ever putting Scary into lasagna…or adding a pinch of Posh to my pork chops…

Posted by K | Report as abusive

New trend? I thought Enola Gay was a woman’s name. Now these bombshells don’t require a lead shield when you want to get close and feel their heat.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Eaten airline food? See if you can spot the misnomer in this picture.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

If they were unveiling a 747, the veil would be somewhat larger.

Ooh! What ever could they be hiding beneath that two meter square of fabric?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Too bad the late Colonel Sanders isn’t around to christen a plane the Secret Spice. That would be tasty too but in an entirely different way.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

K, you obviously have never eaten at my house, or you wouldn’t wonder at the connection between lasagna and “scary”.

But in a few years you won’t have to worry about that, since eventually they’ll have to change their names to Lavender Spice, Metamucil Spice, Tea Cosy Spice, Geritol Spice, and Hey-you-kids-get-out-of-my-yard Spice.

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive