Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Snow rage: do you get my DRIFT?

March 12, 2008

If I told you white powder was driving citizens to sudden violent acts, you’d probably picture guys fighting over cocaine someplace way south, as temperatures hit 100 degrees. Well, check your stereotypes at the door. This is Quebec City, one of the quaintest, most civilized places in North America, home of great food and cobblestone streets.

But with 210 inches of snow so far this year, and snowdrifts of up to 12 feet in some places. tempers are flaring. We have a story describing residents as being – and please excuse my language – “fed up.” Yes, “fed up.” One dude pointed a shotgun at the ground and looked at a woman “in a threatening way,” and another man produced a toy gun in a parking space argument.

The authorities fear it is only a matter of time before somebody says merde.

Related post: O Canada! Is this what you call nasty?

quebec-300.jpg

People walk in the street during a snow storm in Quebec City December 16, 2007.  REUTERS/Mathieu Belanger

Comments

This snow sure is cold.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Global Warming. Making life better for everyone.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Suddenly I understand. The last time Global Warming went berzerk, Artica was covered hundreds of meters deep in snow and submerged. Clearly, Canada is at risk.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Okay, now where the @$#! do I put the plowed snow?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Note to self
If you get incarcerated and decide to dig your way out, make sure you do it in Canada.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Likelyhoood of finding a polar bear club in Quebec? About zero. Likelyhood of a polar bear finding you? Slightly better (particularly escapees from the Quebec City Zoo).

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Canadians get kind of angry whenever they compare their country with balmy southern vacations resorts like Fargo, North Dakota.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

This blows my mind. I live in Atlanta. Nobody gets too upset when it’s real hot – we’re too busy jumping in the swimming pool or lazing in front of the air conditioner. So now I understand: Snow makes violence. Real hot weather just makes you talk pretty.. Y’all come on down.

Dee, this blows *my* mind and I live in Alberta. The weatherman says that Quebec has had more snow on the groudn right now than our total snowfall for the last fourteen years combined!

Of course, it’s +50F again today and sunny…it’s a difficult life, I tell you, living this far north.

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive