Wait here, boss, I’m going out to my car!

April 9, 2008

It turns out a “take-your-guns-to-work” law was just passed by the Florida senate, letting workers keep guns in their cars for self-protection, so road rage doesn’t need to be just an empty outburst, and then lock those guns in their cars while they go into work.

It does exempt some workplaces, like nuclear power plants, prisons and schools, so obviously it’s been carefully thought through. But what about those Cape Canaveral astronauts? Can they take guns up to the shuttle? And you have to think about the heat, which can top a sizzling 100 degrees there. When your coworkers leave guns and ammo on the dashboard in the sun, will there be surprises?

One of the law’s backers says this was dear in the hearts of the founding fathers. Well, sure. Anybody who is watching that John Adams series on HBO will remember the debate between Adams and Jefferson, about having flintlocks in their Pontiacs…

More posts about

guns-300.jpgGuns on display at a National Rifle Association Meeting in in Orlando, Florida in a 2003 file photo. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

I won’t get into the rights aspect since it’s none of my business, but why would anyone want to leave their gun in their car if they could help it? I mean, isn’t that a really good way to lose both your car and your gun at the same time?

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

“Wait here boss, I’m going to my car?!!!” What kind of logic is that? If a criminal is going to kill someone, they are going to do it regardless of the law! BLITHERING IDIOT!!!! I do hope that you never find yourself in a situation where you need a gun. I hope that your liberal nonsense gets you a repremand, and I hope that if I ever am at line in a grocery store that gets robbed at gunpoint and I happen to save your sorry behind, that you’ll print how a law abiding citizen saved your life!

Posted by steve | Report as abusive

I’m all for it, its bad enough we can’t bring them into work let alone have them available to us after work. If I had my way anyone with a permit would be able to take them anywhere except certain places (ie. Federal Buildings, Schools, etc..)

Posted by Shane | Report as abusive

Steve, have you perhaps failed to notice that this is a humor blog?

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

I’m from Texas. I sleep with a holster on my hip.

Yee doggies!

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Now I know why they call you people gun “nuts,” instead of “advocates.”

Posted by Ken | Report as abusive

I’m a paralegal for a large retailer, and I have a case right now involving a guy in FL who threatened to go to his truck, get his gun, and kill his supervisor. Now he’s suing us for employment discrimination. I’m thrilled Florida passed this law – it means job security for me… Of course, in Florida, the best gun would be a WATER gun, duh…

The difference between a gun advocate and a gun nut is that a gun advocate will present his case with calm and reasoned logic, but will accept that others think differently. Most people who own guns are gun advocates. A gun nut, on the other hand, is consumed with wild Chuck Norris fantasies where he saves a roomful of Liberal Wimps with the power of his Mighty, Holy Gun, showing them that he, and only he, is a Real Man. Gun nuts come across as unstable and violent and do gun advocates no favors whatsoever.

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

Politics aside, criminals will have guns regardless if the are legal or not. Ban all guys. Bad guys will still have them – they don’t play by the rules.

The other side of the coin is: if average Joe has a gun, he gets pushed over the edge, will he be more likely to commit a gun crime because he CAN have a gun?

Then again… if we ALL had guns and average Joe goes bonkers. At least we can defend ourselves.

In summary: I think everyone should have a gun. Even in your angriest state, are you going to wrongfully pull a gun when it means you will most definitely get shot? Chances are no, and if you do, you’ll get blow away by everyone else before you do any damage.

Posted by PJ | Report as abusive

Real Men dont use Guns!!!!!

They use Nun chucks!!!!

Get with the program!!!!!

Posted by Ninja Joe | Report as abusive