The bride’s shoulder blades were stunning…

April 14, 2008

shoulders-crop-160.jpgBlog Guy, I recall that back in March, your most popular post was about a proposal to use cadavers instead of live models at fashion shows, to save money for the designers. Now I wonder if it ever took off. I bet this was just a trial balloon that never turned into anything real.

Well, you might have a look at this actual photo from a New York City fashion show last week. Does this LOOK like a healthy model? I’m only wondering how bad it has to get before we mention something about it in the caption.

Related post: I wouldn’t be caught dead in that dress!

shoulders-360.jpgA model presents a creation from the wedding gown fashion line of JL Couture by designer Jenny Lee in New York April 12, 2008. REUTERS/ Lucas Jackson

I can’t think of a funny remark here. This is bizarre and TRAGIC. This woman is clearly ill. Whoever hired her [instead of getting medical help for her] should be fired.

Somewhere, a 19-year-old college guy is looking at this picture and thinking that the model would be really pretty if she’d just lose some weight.

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

Boy this looks like a cadaver to me. I do lots of beach weddings for young couples that are starting out and do not have alot of money. So nice, but inexpensive dresses and no starvation diets, like hollywood to impress the press. I find it silly and sickly to look like an anorexic model to try to impress your guests.

Girls it is ok to eat – just do not weigh more than your man is a good rule of thumb.

No, this isn’t funny – this is the Corpse Bride in real life, and the worst of it is that thousands of girls and women worldwide are doing themselves terrible harm trying to look like that. And it’s an insult to all the poor devils worldwide who are dying of famine, to make the Darfur look a fashion trend.

Posted by Mel | Report as abusive

Horrifying. Sorry, the woman in this photo looks like a concentration camp survivor.

Posted by Elyse | Report as abusive

All I can say is look at her elbows!!! What is wrong with her elbows?? She looks like she has died.

Posted by Diane | Report as abusive

hey, I saw today in the WSJ (15 Apr) that France’s Anorexia law has moved forward, which would make it the severest law anywhere, “…that would outlaw the promotion of extreme thinness, including in fashion magazines, ads and on Web sites. Fashion industry experts said such a law would be the strongest of its kind anywhere.” – WSJ, April 15, 2008.

’bout time…

Posted by chris | Report as abusive

Nice dress.

This reminds me of the wedding/seance scene in Beetlejuice

Posted by Barnaby | Report as abusive

Charlene :

WOW! I am a 19 year old college guy and I can assure you that I see the same sick girl you see… of all the people I know I don’t know ANYONE that thinks a girl dying of starvation is attractive. Seriously, you need to check your stereotypes and chill.

Posted by ... | Report as abusive

Yes, I too take issue with you, Charlene. Come now, do you really think just because I’m a guy that I would somehow find that attractive? I really got rather upset with your remark, because it was so unnecessarily cutting. Any sane person, be it you or a “19-year-old college guy,” would probably agree that something like that is a problem.
I’m sorry you have such a negative opinion about some people.

Posted by Thomas | Report as abusive

Thomas:
(Loosen up and learn what sarcasm is.)

Posted by Emily | Report as abusive

What most women fail to realise is that men do NOT put pressure on women to be skinny, spend a fortune on designer clothes, trowel on the makeup … or any one of a hundred other “beautifying” activities.
It is women who pressure other women to torture themselves this way.

The old joke about how to impress a man – show up naked – is sooooo true. We don’t want you to be emaciated, layered in makeup, spending hours getting your hair curled/straightened/dreadlocked/etc, do without paying the rent so you can have that designer handbag which costs more than a small car. Just smile and be you.

Note to womankind: when you see those before and after photos in adverts/commercials to sell shampoo, clothes, makeup, diets, etc … most men prefer the before!!

Posted by James | Report as abusive

you know, its true what these guys are saying.
being self conscious annoys most people especially if you are already a healthy weight,
however what most people fail to realize is that when it gets to a certain point its more than just wanting to be thin. it’s truly a sickness
learned that he hard way.
aside from that, more that most guys prefer girls with healthy bodies rather than protruding bones.
their eyes don’t automatically magnetize to the parts you are self conscious about like girls do. they tend to focus on the parts they do like.
so quit starving yourself. it does.t make you attractive it makes you look sick.

Posted by ash | Report as abusive