Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Babe, can we skip this museum?

April 16, 2008

bidet-2-160.jpgIf you haven’t been to Europe, you’re saying, “What’s the danged deal with this thing that looks like a toilet, but isn’t?”

Well, it’s called a bidet – pronounced “bee-day,” sort of like birthday only different. And what we’re seeing is a work of art entitled “Bidet Museum,” which of course isn’t a real museum, because face it, if it were, who would go to it?

It’s actually this dude’s own work of art, and in fairness he didn’t just drag in a bunch of old bidets. There are the red walls as well, and if you look closely there are pictures of women taped over them. So there’s lots to think about.

We’re told this artist likes to create a “reality within an unreality.” Small world! That’s what I do with my blog,¬†only I use less porcelain.

More weird museum news:

bidet-360.jpgBelgian artist Guillaume Bijl poses near his work “Bidet Museum” at the opening of his retrospective exhibition in Ghent, Belgium, April 4, 2008. REUTERS/Yves Herman

Comments

Where I’m from, we call this a “BYE-DEBT” and we use it to wash our feet. My parents had one in their lake house for years. The dogs thought it was their own private water fountain.

That said, I got news for Mr. Weirdo in the photo – this AIN’T ART, Dude. I think you seriously don’t like women. Sell this to some other nutcase and get some THERAPY, okay honey?!!!

It occurs to me that it could also be a dental spit-sink for really short people, if we’re really looking for other uses…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

….not quite large enough to wash dishes in…

Posted by K | Report as abusive

So, if you re-arrange the letters in the artist’s name just a little bit, it would rhyme with “Bilge.”

Coincidence? You be the judge.

You say potato, I say urinal.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

What am I supposed to use for a towel, Guillaume?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Mommy, this water fountain smells funny. I think the last guy who took a drink just had his beard trimmed.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Washing your arse with water after you crap is the only hygienic way to go. Dry wiping leaves a residue that allows bacteria or fungus to flourish. This results in skid marks, bullberries and stink-butt.

Posted by Jack Philips | Report as abusive

I consider that there is a disturbingly intrinsic negativistic quality to the comments on this blog post – apart from the one by Jack Philips, who has hit the nail on the head. The New Shorter Oxford Dictionary has this on bidet: “A shallow oval basin used for washing esp. the genital and anal regions. L18.”
Reputedly invented by the Frenchman Marc-Antoine Jacoud, research shows the earliest written reference to the bidet is in 1710, in French literature. That the French should have been so far ahead of the rest of the world in personal hygiene – then and even now – is quite remarkable. Some people (not me, you understand) have wondered if it was this preoccupation of the French with their anal and genital cleanliness which may have contributed to their unfailingly losing so many wars.

Posted by Iain Barraclough | Report as abusive