Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

We’re gonna need a bigger gun cart!

June 27, 2008

guns-3-200.jpgWith firearms being in the news, we visited a gun shop in Texas to talk to shoppers like this raccoon-hunting 16-year-old girl. She was buying a holster for her dad, I guess so he can stop lugging his gun around in his hand and have someplace to stick it.

What caught my eye in our photo series was that people were pushing big shopping carts, like they were at Kroger or something. Is it just me, or does that sound like, pardon the expression, overkill?

How much weaponry do you have to be buying to need a CART? Are they like shopping for a small army or an entire post office, or what? Is this where General Santa Anna shopped on his way to the Alamo?

All I know is, this is NOT a store where I’d try cutting in front of anybody at the check-out line.

guns-1-360.jpg

Cliff Sherrod browses for guns at Cabela’s store in Fort Worth, Texas, June 26, 2008.

Stella Richardson, 16, shops for a holster at Cabela’s.

REUTERS photos by Jessica Rinaldi

Comments

Your naivety is showing.Of course there is nothing to buy at a sporting goods store but firearms.

Posted by mike | Report as abusive

Yea, wandering around with a cartload of guns is excessive; however, ammo is freaking heavy. If you’re gonna be picking up a case of ammo, you’ll wish you had a cart by the time you get to the checkout.

Posted by Lost | Report as abusive

Gives a whole new meaning to “gun cart”, doesn’t it?

(And Lost, why don’t most retailers keep the ammo behind the counter? Every gun store I know does simply because ammo tends to disappear easily.)

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

We Texans take hunting very seriously, Bob. I once sat in the middle of a field, against a tree, gun in hand, for three hours with a truck stereo cranked up playing a tape of an injured rabbit screaming. I was waiting on coyotes, but only managed an armadillo.

Give me a break, I was 14.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

“All I know is, this is NOT a store where I’d try cutting in front of anybody at the check-out line.”

Or you could look at it as a place where you could go ahead and cut in front of someone and then ask if the punk feels lucky.

Looks like Christmas shopping at my house…

Cabelas is an outdoors store they sell camping and fisihing gear too goto acadamy and you’ll find guns too and (amazingly) SHOPPING CARTS!

Posted by Justin | Report as abusive

what an ignorant, sterotypical, story from a biased anti gunner. You don’t cut in line in TX because people are POLITE there and have good manners.

Posted by Rev Jim | Report as abusive

In jest, you pointed out an issue with society… since you assume not to insult a gun-store customer by cutting in front of the line… expand that out to other places… is it then OK to cut in line or be rude to anyone at any other store, just because you know they cannot shoot you (or so you may think)? If people in society respected others and just assumed every person in your presence was carrying a gun, less issues would occur.

Posted by Alabama Man | Report as abusive

And just as you wouldn’t cut in front of s/o with a cartload
of guns, a criminal doesn’t want to enter someones house where there is a cart load of guns (and the gun owner).
But, I guess you have put 2 and 2 together have you?

Posted by Patrick | Report as abusive

I’d cut in front, but that’s because I’m English, and we’re rude.

Seriously tho I think some people are taking the joke about not cutting in a little too seriously, I mean, it’s a gun shop, could be any gun shop in the US to a non american like me and you don’t cut in front, because you’d imagine people in gun shops might well have guns.. ha ha ha? no? Feeling a little sensitive?

Posted by spudule | Report as abusive

The folks who took this story were quite nice and oddly interested in what i had to say. Texans or not, you should be nice to everyone. And as far as the weapons go…….”come and take it” Obama!

Thanks, Stella. Did your father like his holster?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive