Find the nuclear warhead, Whiskers!

September 12, 2008

Blog Guy, in this crazy world today, security is very much on my mind. Are any other countries making progress in protecting their people and property?

cat-security-crop-200.jpgYes. In the most promising advance I’m aware of, several governments have turned their security operations over to cats.

Cats? They don’t seem very tough or intimidating.

That’s not what you need at the top. You want somebody who pays attention to every detail. Aware of every change in the status quo, every slight deviation from the norm. Have you ever tried to fool a cat? Ever brought a box or bag into the house without getting it inspected?

I never thought of it that way! So this experiment has been 100 percent successful?

Not quite. Some smugglers in one country were able to sneak in five tons of enriched uranium in a crate covered with small bits of yarn. BAD KITTY!

Facebook Odd Blog Network

cat-security-360.jpg

A cat walks past policemen keeping guard at an anti-government protest near the Government House compound in Bangkok September 7, 2008. REUTERS/ Kerek Wongsa

i fully belive that cats can be used in all sorts of roles. how about finding terrorist?! my cat can find me and my girlfriend at night and wake us up just find. That’s in the dark WITHOUT nightvision. simply amazing

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

cats lick their buts. how effective can their noses be???

Posted by Thomas | Report as abusive

Hey, let’s not pussyfoot here! We’re talking about a catalyst that could cause a catastrophic cataclysm! It needs to be categorically catalogued before a catharsis that could put us all in a big catacomb…

Your smug treatment of the issue gives me cataplexy…

What, exactly, is the point of this story?

Posted by I P Freely | Report as abusive

Bravo, Bandage! Your alliteration puts you in a new catagory.

But, I think all dog people out there would agree that dogs provide the best security. In my building, we used to have a dog as a security guard. He was relentless. He knew me quite well, but whenever I came in, he would say: “You’re probably who you say you are, but I’ve got to sniff your butt anyway.”

No offense, feline friends.

Posted by RLM | Report as abusive

They are Siamese if you protest
They are Siamese if you don’t protest

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

Charlene, I see what you did there.

Posted by HadCheezburger | Report as abusive

Of course cats can be used to this effect. They’ve been planning world domination for years now. They already have us humans trained as their servants, all that is left now is to subvert dogs and vacuums.

Posted by Humbird | Report as abusive

I used to click on these and get odd news stories, now I get some apparently brain-damaged blogger making up crap.
Who changed this? Who thought this was a good idea?I don’t care what this %$##^#& thinks!

Posted by mrWTF | Report as abusive

I agree with mrWTF. This blogger talking crap isnt what I find interesting. Oddball news is. Change it back.

Posted by whatsgoingon | Report as abusive

I agree with mfWTF. I used to enjoy reading these oddly enough’s. Now, I want to smash my head into my keyboard. What kind of ridiculous nonsense are you typing about. And the people that post comments about them? Do you find yourselves to be clever? Christ, when did the internet start getting used for this? At least they used to be about real news stories, ridiculous as they were. Now we get an untalented, uninteresting, uninspired pos who makes things up about a picture. I’ve seen five year olds do this for crying out loud. By the way, do you actually get paid to do this? If so, how do I apply to take your job? Thanks.

Posted by Um.... | Report as abusive

you guys are idiots. this is the Oddly Enough BLOG. the Oddly Enough newspage is still there. this is probably the fault of the google widget you are no doubt using. its google’s fault, but the Oddly Enough newspage is at http://www.reuters.com/news/oddlyEnough. its just that you guys are too damn dense to realize it.

Posted by x | Report as abusive

Eesh…..

Next time y’all are in Atlanta, Georgia (US), go to Six Flags and watch their animal show. *Every single cat used in that show is up for adoption.* Cats *do* learn, and even though their intelligence is about the same as a 2-yo human, they’re still wonderful animals.

Oh, Dogs are nice too – but I’m a cat purrson. I can’t help it; a cat is my anti-depressant.

Posted by Ketira | Report as abusive

“People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life.”- Faith Resnick

Posted by Meezer Pleaser | Report as abusive

One of my cats absolutely must sniff every thing that comes into the house. We suspect he was a bomb-sniffing dog in his previous life. We’re hoping he died of old age.

Posted by Stella Cadente | Report as abusive

Well, I don’t really have an answer here. Do I believe that Cats could be Bomb Sniffers? Its possible, thou given the nature of the Cat I highly doubt it. Cats seem more interested in cleaning and sleeping, much like my Bulldogs. I know they can be trained but, not as easily as some breeds of Dogs(Shepards,Beagles).

Posted by Captnhowdy | Report as abusive