Women in the news: thinking on their feet

September 12, 2008

Blog Guy, I’ve seen some recent pictures of Sarah Palin’s shoes. My impression is that readers are very interested in the shoes of important women. Do you agree?

palin-shoes-200.jpgYou’re so right! When people hear about a woman in a prominent position, the first thing they always ask is, ”What about her shoes?”

Shoe coverage is an important sub-specialty in journalism. For example, France’s first lady, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. As you can see in this photo combo, we cover her shoes nearly as comprehensively as the rest of her.

So, you mean you have photographers who specialize in shooting women’s shoes at a news event?

Of course. That’s their sole purpose, so to speak.

And they work alone?

No, usually they team up with our handbag photographers.

Facebook Odd Blog Network

carla-combo.jpgabove: The shoes of Republican presidential candidate Senator John McCain and his vice presidential running mate Sarah Palin as they stand at an event in Dayton, Ohio August 29, 2008. REUTERS/John Gress

below: REUTERS photos of Carla Bruni-Sarkozy by Stephen Hird, Darren Staples, Benoit Tessier, Yannis Behrakis

Appears Ms. Palin is equally as comfortable/confident in red heels as she is in hunting pacs and deck shoes. A real class act!!!

Posted by P Giles | Report as abusive

These are the soles that try our times. I’m sorry. In defense, the Blog Guy started it.

Posted by RLM | Report as abusive

I’m not sure, but I’m getting a hint of sarcasm here… Look, you can’t get home to Kansas using an old pair of Keds, ok? And remember,these are Republicans we’re talking about.

My only question is this: If Sarah’s Dorothy, Who’s John McCain?

Is Mr. McCain wearing the red shoes or the black?

Posted by George | Report as abusive

It’s simple. If Sarah’s Dorothy, John McCain is one of the Lolly Pop kin, the Lolly Pop kin, the Lolly Pop kin!

Posted by SML | Report as abusive

I think Sarah Palin is a class act all the way! I am so happy she is running for Vice President. Pretty shoes too.

I once heard that only whores and little girls should wear red shoes :P

Posted by Anna | Report as abusive

How is this “NEWS”? News has a story, this is just some random guy’s rambling and disjointed attempt at humor. Blog Guy is despoiling the reputation of “Oddly Enough”.

Posted by Jeremy | Report as abusive

Amen, Jeremy. Ever since this blog crap took the place of the old Oddly Enough, I’ve removed it from my iGoogle. It’s just dumb.

As an aside, I’ve yet to be convinced that Ms. Palin has any business being Vice President.

Posted by Fred Mailhot | Report as abusive

Substantive!

Posted by johnp | Report as abusive

Fred – you have removed it from Google but are still coming and even commenting?? I think you have a secret crush . . .

Posted by Cristina | Report as abusive

Pretty shoes, for a lying pretentious hillbilly from Alaska, eh?

Posted by Mamacusa | Report as abusive

I do not consider this news. I am not interested in, what kind of shoes the presidential candidates or the vice presidential candidates are wearing. I don’t care about the color of the shoes or how cute they are.

I am interested in what the candidate is going to do to help break our dependence on oil (whether it be foreign or not), to help generate jobs in the United States, their position on abortion, how they will help schools that educate our children, and lots of other issues.

I am interested in past voting history and other past actions while in office.

I am interested in someone who will uphold the Constitution of the United States of America.

I’ve seen so many heels trying to pump this story, I just want to sock them.

This is rubbish. Change it back. Oddly enough news was interesting, this isn’t.

Posted by whatsgoingon | Report as abusive

FACT-CHECK-THE RED SHOES ARE NOT PALIN, BUT BRUNI.
IF YOU NEED TO USE THE WORD ‘CLASS’ THEN IT ‘AIN’T’ THERE ANYWAY…

Posted by JAMES | Report as abusive

To see what kind of person this Palin woman is, do not miss today’s article about her shenanigans in The New York Times. These people really have done their homework, and a huge service to America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/pol itics/14palin.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Posted by mamacusa | Report as abusive

James, the caption is correct. The red shoes are Palin.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Thanks Random! You’re awesome!

Posted by Maggie | Report as abusive

[...] as Shoeblog-appropriate motivation to do your civic duty, I post a link to this story from Reuters’ always-informative Oddly Enough [...]