Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

If it’s September, this must be Oktoberfest!

September 22, 2008

oktoberfest-2-0921-160.jpgBlog Guy, I saw a picture today from Oktoberfest in Germany. But it’s only September!

I believe it’s already October in Germany, because of the different time zones. So yes, they’ve started Oktoberfest, their world-famous festival of drinking, smoking and cleavage.

Sheesh, I guess the entire region must grind to a halt while they’re doing all that drinking and partying, right?

No, actually they’re also having elections. It must be strange to wake up all hung-over after election day, see all the empty mugs and ashtrays, and then scream, “WE VOTED FOR WHO?”

Oktoberfest Slideshow

oktoberfest-1-0921-360.jpg Oktoberfest in Munich September 20, 2008. Millions of beer drinkers from around the world will come to the Bavarian capital for the world’s biggest beer festival.

above: REUTERS/ Michaela Rehle

below: REUTERS/ Pawel Kopczynski

Comments

Wow! Those are REALLY big! I’m surprised she can even carry them!

Well, I guess people don’t take the size of their beer mugs lightly this time of year.

Of the 20 pictures that were part of Reuters Oktoberfest photo essay, you chose the 2 with the cleavage. …good call!

You can\’t be serious about the time zone difference with it being October in Germany already, right?

Oktoberfest was moved ahead one month to take advantage of the warmer weather in September…

Its a festival to celebrate the harvest.

Each Beer weights about 5 pounds, usually the \”wenches\” carry 8 or more at a time.

They prepare 2 months in advance for a 2 week festival. Full construction \”tents\” (actual steel and wood buildings with plumbing, electric, etc) then it all gets torn down in a couple of days.

Cheers

Posted by Norman | Report as abusive

It’s called irony!

Posted by Matt | Report as abusive

Oktoberfest is just plain fun — good Bavarian food, beer, music, singing, companionship. Ein prosit der Gem├╝tlichkeit!

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

I’d ask why there are no Oktoberfest hunks, but what do I know: I drink Guinness.

Posted by Charlene | Report as abusive

I think, starting now, we should all take Bob Basler’s Odd Blog very seriously. I think it’s important that we do not let any kind of humor or satirist work run rampant in our midst!

Perhaps Norman was being pedantic?

Posted by Whitecup | Report as abusive

Charlene,

Goodlooking German men do seem to be in short supply at beer fests. The last one I was at, I felt like a piece of meat! But that was, you know, part of the fun.

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

Um… Yeah.. Thanks for that Norman… Um… It’s nice to see someone around here is on top of the details… *looks questioningly at Bob*

Ach du Lieber! I wonder where I may get a couple of those…mugs?

Posted by The Bee | Report as abusive

In defense of us Germans I would like to add that Oktoberfest is a very regional custom. Us northern folks remain (relatively) sane throughout September and October.

Posted by M G | Report as abusive

The original Oktoberfest was held 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig (later King Ludwig I of Bavaria) and Princess Therese.
The Bavarians repeated the celebration every year since today to honour this marriage – and yes – because it was fun … (today it’s mostely fun and bussiness)

Being proud people (even in drinking) they do so in historical clothing (you know – the Dirdl is HISTORICAL woman clothing in Bavaria – only 1 out of 16 of our federal states …)

So nooooo – the Oktoberfest is not typical German and nooooo – the Germans (even the Bavarians) don’t wear these clothing all the time (just to clear things up for those, who still live under these impresssions) …

Posted by TM | Report as abusive

TM is quite right. I lived and studied in Augsburg (a city close to Munich), and Bavarians are wonderful, hardworking people. Bavarians are not “typical” Germans, if there is such a thing. Bavarians have rich, distinct traditions and certainly know how to have a good time. I would be proud to say “Ich bin Augsburger.”

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

I am amazed that people have to be told that Bavaria is a region in Germany with its own customs.

Hey I love them -fun and a time to wear traditional dress and just be different. So the northerners don’t celebrate, so what? They were always known as the dry boring types, no biggy.

Do Texans have line dancing?
Do Brits have tea dances?
Do the Yankees get excited about rounders? Sorry – baseball.

The point is -if everyone did the same thing – it would just be normal and therefore boring.

Viva la difference!