A friend in knead gets a rise out of Bush?

October 19, 2008

sarkozy-fists-200.jpg

French President Nicolas Sarkozy appeared with President George Bush yesterday and surprised onlookers by choosing to discuss tips for making really good French bread, which of course in France they just call bread.

Sarkozy used elaborate hand gestures to show how to knead the dough, and patiently answered questions from Bush such as, “When do you put in the ketchup?” and “Do you guys add the crust after you bake it?”

Lose 20 pounds in one week!  Join the Oddly Enough blog network

sarkozy-combo-360.jpgFrench President Nicolas Sarkozy speaks to the press alongside U.S. President George W. Bush before their meeting at the Presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland, October 18, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Oh, I get it. It’s because his hands look he’s kneading bread dough. That’s hilarious. Oh, and Bush asked about ketchup because he’s a dumb American. That’s funny, too. We all agree that Bush isn’t the smartest president, but we’ve heard enough jokes about it. So in short; this article isn’t funny at all. Go read the Onion.

Posted by andrew | Report as abusive

I find it both surprising and sad that this makes news on a major website in a country where millions go to bed hungry every night because they don’t have bread to eat.

Funny, isn’t it?

Posted by JellyWheat | Report as abusive

Come on! You can’t just make things up here. This is supposed to be a section of reuters that reports interesting out of the ordinary news, not a forum that makes up fake captions for photos!

Posted by McCain ’08 | Report as abusive

JellyWheat, you should see a cardiologist right away. I’m concerned about that rapidly bleeding heart of yours.

Posted by Hurf McBlurf | Report as abusive

Why do people care enough to comment on a blog that they don’t seem to enjoy? Many of us appreciate Robert’s sense of humor and we come here to read his works and share with others.

If you don’t like it, you’re free to NOT read it. This is the oddly enough blog, which is not directly related to the oddly enough news page. If you’re interested in “out of the ordinary news”, you should visit the Oddly Enough news page, found here: http://www.reuters.com/news/oddlyEnough

Posted by Vlad | Report as abusive

come on george !
which hand is the Euro in ?

Posted by boatman | Report as abusive

Dear Vlad,

Thank you for your clarifying comments. I now realize the error of my ways (…as a matter of fact, it occurred to me shortly after I posted my original comment, but there was no way to retract it).

I accept your kind dis-invitation. Now, it’s off to the cardiologist!

Regards,
JellyWheat

Posted by JellyWheat | Report as abusive

Hey! Are you related to the JellyWheats of Peoria?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Robert, I am ashamed to admit that I have never experienced the euphoria of Peoria.

[I would make my answer longer, but I’m not supposed to be here!]

jw

Posted by JellyWheat | Report as abusive

It’s sad when the comments are funnier than the article.

Posted by Sandra | Report as abusive

Nono, It’s “funny” when the comments are funnier than the article. :)

Posted by Christa | Report as abusive

Shortly after this shot was taken, Dick Cheney explained to President Bush what “Rick Roll” means, and how exactly it had just happened to him.

Posted by Mel | Report as abusive

I find it both surprising and sad that this makes news on a major website in a country where millions go to bed hungry every night because they don’t have “Rick Rolls” to eat.

Funny, isn’t it?

{I hit that button AGAIN!!! Damn…!}
jw

Posted by JellyWheat | Report as abusive

Come on guys… this is a humourous section, and with less than 3 months to go with the stupidest president in history, they have to take advantage of it!!

Oh, and in France, we don’t call French bread just “bread”, we call it “baguette”… there isn’t only one sort of bread sold here!
(And for the record, not all Frenchmen wear onion necklaces and berets!)

Posted by gyz | Report as abusive