Let’s get bamboozled!

November 17, 2008

Blog Guy, what’s the new “miracle” material for this century?

No question, it’s bamboo. It’s the new cotton, the new plastic, maybe even the new lunch meat. Catch the model below, decked out in an outfit so timeless it’s Neanderthal! And, check this spiffy, eco-friendly bamboo car!

Wow! Who first began designing in bamboo?

The famous Alamo hero, Jim Bowie. Bamboo floats, so he made buoys out of it.

I think he also created Drambuie.

Yes, and he gave Chinese food and raunchy rock music to early Americans, too.

Um, where’s this going? I’m scared.

He threw Jim Bowie Drambuie Chop Suey “Louie Louie” bamboo buoy parties.

That’s moronic beyond all human comprehension!

Thanks! Then could you Digg it or Twitter it or Stumble it or something? Do it now!

Lose ten pounds a week! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

“Bamgoo”, an electric car with a body made out of bamboo, is displayed in Kyoto, Japan November 14, 2008. REUTERS/Issei Kato

Model presents a creation by Belarussian designer Anna Ostrovskaya during the Festival of Vanguard Art, Mammoth, in Minsk, November 16, 2008. REUTERS/Vladimir Nikolsky

Hey! Some idiot planted some bamboo in the lovely mixed woodlands just above our village. Now it’s getting into the cabbages, the hornets’ nests, the compost heaps — EVERYWHERE. Perhaps we should bid for a bamboo car plant…

Posted by Louise | Report as abusive

I am so THRILLED to see this! My backyard is filled with pesky bamboo, planted by a prior owner with a sense of humor. It makes a great privacy screen from the neighbors, but the shoots poke up in my lawn every time it rains. My kids’ hobby is to go back there and stomp the shoots down. Needless to say, I HATE bamboo! I’d be happy to have an eco-friendly car made from it, though…

Posted by Dee | Report as abusive

I’d really love to see some more of those bamboo dresses around… looks like they’d be fantastic in the summer: you can go swimming in them and forget about the life-vest!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

they sell bamboo barriers, do a search online. they are plastic and designed to contain running bamboo. you’d need to dig a trench to install it, but it isn’t too expensive, and solves the problem of containing bamboo. there are lots of different species, some more aggressive than others.

Posted by s | Report as abusive

That outfit looks so functional. I had no idea they had female tribal warriors in Minsk! That girl is gonna have some seriously scratched up thighs by the time she’s done walking this outfit around.

Posted by Sarah | Report as abusive

Sarah, actually the model has worse problems than that. Last week she wore that outfit on vacation to a giant panda reserve in China, and, well, she hasn’t been seen since…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I love bamboo, it makes me feel so warm and cuddly. I remember my dad telling me about coming by captured Americans by the Koreans in the Korean War. They had been planked out over bamboo. It grows a foot a day. Go for your imagination.

Posted by Jane Honeyman | Report as abusive

I have bamboo growing in my water garden, a black variety with golden highlights. Beautiful stuff. When I’m near it, I sometimes think about opening my own Chinese restaurant. I think I’ll call it Sumdumguy.

I tell my wife: “Let’s just do one more job and buy a ranch.”

It is very relaxing sitting in my water garden. There is a waterfall, and a stream bed, and waterlilies, and Koi, and evergreens, and ferns. You can imagine you’re in a forest, with the smells of evergreens, and the sounds of falling water. The water in the forest is so clear that you can actually see the head of the person you’re holding under!

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

As a distant relative of Jim Bowie, I was surprised that the historical note on bamboo did not reference the famous Bowie knife. Everyone knows that you have to use a Bowie knife to cut bamboo buoys. That’s what they did at the Alamo, of course.

Posted by katharine | Report as abusive

Katharine,

You are absolutely right, of course. I had the knife in the original version but had to shorten the text. I also had to cut the reference to your relative’s children, Joey Bowie and Zooey Bowie. Please accept my apology.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Some of my friends call my farm “the Nature Preserve.” They tell me that some day I’m going to find Bear Grylls camped out in my water garden cutting my bamboo and eating my Koi. (I didn’t know that Bear carried a Bowie knife.) If you ever see an episode of Man vs. Wild where Bear is being chased through black and gold bamboo by two wild and crazy looking German Shepherds, that’s my place!

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

[…] Photo of Bamboo Dress by¬†Anna Ostrovskaya,¬†Courtesy Reuters Oddly Enough […]

Posted by What’s an Eco Designer to Do about Bamboo? : Feelgood Style | Report as abusive