You’re not gonna need those fingers, are you?

December 4, 2008

Bob, since your martial arts skills are well-known, I have a question. I’ve been studying karate for several years, and I’m not sure if my instructor is any good. How can I test myself?

Judging from this photo of karate students, I gather sticking your fingers under a moving motorcycle is one good test.

Gosh! You mean just let it run over my fingers?

Evidently.

Any special kind of motorcycle?

I don’t think so. You could probably use a car instead, but I’d draw the line at a big truck.

Jeez, that sounds harsh! So then what should I be looking for?

After the cycle has run over your knuckles a few times, try using your fingers to text-message for medical aid. If you feel great discomfort, maybe you weren’t ready for the test.

Well then that sounds like really, really stupid advice!

What advice?

Rid your home of mice! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

High school students have their hands run over by a motorcycle during a demonstration of their karate skills at an annual sports day in Hyderabad, India, November 22, 2008. REUTERS/ Krishnendu Halder

This is what naughty students get for not behaving in Hyderabad. Since there’s so many of them, rapping across the knuckles is just not feasible for scale-related issues (the ruler would have to be too big to do them all at the same time). Hence the motorcycle.

Posted by M | Report as abusive

“I can jump my motorcycle over 8 peoples hands.”

“Here I go!”

“Oh, no good. I try again.”

Posted by JL | Report as abusive

Wow, this demonstrates karate skills so much better than…I don’t know…breaking a board, or kicking someone’s butt…

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Still, you’d expect a nun to be aboard the motorcycle!

Posted by gwmc | Report as abusive

gwmc: or a politician. They made a movie about that ya know. It’s called, I think, Cheesy Rider.

Or maybe a minister. Then we could call him a holy roller. In any event, this exercise is, hands down, the strangest karate exhibition I have ever seen.

Did you know that in my youth I studied to be a minister? They threw me out of the seminary when they caught me shooting craps. They told me that the school was not for holy rollers.

I also studied to be a dentist, but back then my last name was Scarey, and I didn’t think people would go to see a dentist named “Dr. Scarey.”

Then, I thought “I’ll be a criminal lawyer.” But I only finished half my education — the criminal part.

Did I hear correctly? Some guy in Hyderabad has invented the worlds first Digital motorbike?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Hamal couldn’t tank his students nearly enough.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

I remember when “What’s your sign?” was all you needed to break the ice.

[...] Oddly Enough » Blog Archive » You’re not gonna need those fingers … [...]