Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

That deer’s around here… Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2008

It’s the time of year for lists, as we saw yesterday with my own top ten posts. One of the best lists I’ve seen is from PETA, the animal rights group, offering the Top Ten Most Karmic Moments for Animal Abusers in 2008. And what a list it is!

* A hunter tracking a deer he shot falls off a cliff.

* A woman using a .44 magnum to shoot MICE shoots herself and a bystander.

* A guy striking his dog with a gun manages to shoot himself.

This is the feel-good list of this holiday season, and I’m dedicating this post to my own rescue dogs and cats.

My one regret is that nowhere on the list does a bull defeat a matador and leave the ring amid wild cheers, heading for a peaceful retirement. Well, maybe in 2009.

Feel young again. Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: Actress Pamela Anderson in a PETA shirt, April 25, 2008. REUTERS/ Jim Young

Below: Combo shot of animals I see in my own home.

Comments

That dog in the lower right looks nuts.

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Nobody’s perfect.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

You know…I love my dog. Pedro really is an awesome dog. But in the end…he’s a DOG. DOG!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOG! PETA just freaks me out a little. I’m a horrible person because I value human life over the life of an animal. I’m a horrible person because I don’t worry about my dog first and my family second. I’m a horrible person because I won’t lay naked and wrapped in cellophane on the sidewalk in protest of a meat market. Sheesh.

Man, I loved that story. THAT was funny.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

You have got to be kidding. Explain how a hunter falling off a cliff is karmic justice? That hunter was most likely someone’s husband, father, and son. Explain to his family why he got what was coming to him. He was practicing a tradition that dates back to the beginning of man(something completely within his legal right to practice). PETA fanatics celebrate like this tragic accident is some sort of victory. The sick part of this article is the obvious detachment from reality where a group of human beings create a “feel good list” rejoicing in the fact that a man lost his life (I assume) while hunting.

I am not defending other people on this list. Surely, their stupidity (shooting a gun at mouse) or their cruelty (beating a domestic animal) got the better of them.

The PETA organization disgusts me and their detachment from human empathy is a microcosmic explanation of the problems that are inherent in today’s world.

I will be enjoying a nice venison steak tonight from a deer that I shot this year. Yes, I am a hunter and no I am not evil. My heart goes out to the hunter’s family this holiday season.

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

And the inclusion of Pamela Anderson’s picture is a reminder of her affiliation with PETA or is it an obscure reference to bad karmic experiences? Sorry, didn’t get that one, Blog Guy…

Posted by M | Report as abusive

The Pam Anderson pic is a reminder that it’ll be a COLD day on Capitol Hill (rimshot, please…) before PETA’s collection of nuts, teenagers, celebrity dingbats and idiots get their way.

Posted by Chicago ExPat | Report as abusive

Bob, anyone who rescues animals cannot be all bad. We rescued our two German Shepherds from a kill shelter four years ago. They are wonderful, sweet, affectionate dogs.

Either this year or last year, there was a story in the news about a man who caught a mouse in his home, doused it with kerosene, and lit it on fire. The mouse panicked, ran, and caused the man’s house to burn to the ground. Oh, Mama, sweet poetic justice.

In a MASH episode, Radar O’Reilly says: “Dogs are people, too.” I disagree. I hold much closer to Mark Twain, who wrote: “The chief difference between a man and a dog is that, if you take in a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.”

This year, I believe, there is a movie coming out about about Kashiko, a beloved Akita in Japan, whose story is steeped in loyalty.

More moving for me, though, is the story of Shep, a shepherd dog in Montana, whose owner passed and whose body was loaded on a train to be taken to his people. Shep stayed at the train station for over 5 years, until his death, meeting every train that arrived. If one googles Shep and train, I’m one can find sites.

Some years ago, when I was visting a terminally ill client — a young boy — in his home, he asked me what Heaven was like. I said I didn’t know. But I heard my dog barking out in my car, and I said: “My dog is out in the car, barking because he wants to come in, where I am. He doesn’t know what’s in here, but I’m in here, and that’s enough.”

God Bless.

Posted by RLM | Report as abusive

I must agreee with Jeff. I can understand animal cruelty issues, but they take things way too far. To value animal life over human life is absolutely genocidal. The hunter that fell of the cliff was a tragic story, not something to be celebrated as they have. This goes to show that they are the flip side of the same cruel coin as those who abuse animals. Only instead of their hatred and anger being directed towards animals, it towards people.

There was a story I read in a magazine (Sports Illustrated?!?) where a young man of about 22 years old who became a vegaterian and PETA supporter and WAS the son of a wealthy Canadian was doing research at some type of outpost. Two of the men that ran the outpost encountered wolves stalking them and barely got away with their lives. The story of it fascinated the young man, and during some down time, he took a long walk alone… his sheer arrogance to think that he could relate or exist somehow with no tracking or wildlife experience with wild animals cost him his life.

PETA actually think, it appears, that animals see their efforts or can acknowledge somehow that they are on their side, but in reality to a pack of wolves, you, like the story of this tragic young man, are no more that FOOD. Just as some animals are food to us. However, PETA and some of those that hold to their values have become little more than arrogant, fanatical nut jobs who want everyone to believe as they do. If that ever happens, I would wager that most of the members would find some other cause to champion that would again set them apart from the rest of Americans, as this is their real motivation. They simply want to be seen… even if it protrays their self righteousness, self centeredness, and arrogance.

Posted by Clarence | Report as abusive

Research the tests for breast implants on animals and then look who the poster children are for PETA (Anna Nicole, Pamela Anderson, etc.) Not a one of us can seriously say that we don’t eat from the same set of hands we condemn sometimes…just sad to see nobody looks at both sides..
Now where was I going…oh yeah…McDonalds to get a chef salad and some chicken Mcnuggets that were steroid enhanced and processed in mass production…See ya!!

Posted by Carl | Report as abusive

Dear God, people; it’s called, “H-U-M-O-R!”

And the world needs more of it, instead of this moronic, straight-laced, politically-correct, “Merry Christmas” vs. “Happy Holidays” droning on.

Well done, Bob, and keep it coming.

Posted by Shawn | Report as abusive

I like the other meaning of PETA…
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

Posted by Adam | Report as abusive

PETA is a terrorist organization directly responsible for major setbacks in medical research that could have saved thousands of human lives.

You should feel ashamed for glorifying them.

Posted by Nunya | Report as abusive

News Flash! Carl, Anna Nicole is dead. From drugs. But the drugs were probably tested on animals so it’s a wash.

I saw a show about meat processing on HBO back in the 1990′s. It wasn’t pretty. I went vegan for about 3 weeks after that. Then I saw another show where a Great White shark ate a pelican. The shark wounded the bird and had to come back a few more times while it flapped around trying to fly away. I think the cows had it better than the bird. Now, I just try not to think about it. My bacon comes from a magical happy place with flowers and talking spiders.

I’ll probably never see how a 23 year old kid falling off a cliff is funny. No matter how many animals he shot prior to his own accident. But then again he was trespassing and he wasn’t looking where he was going. So, again. It’s a wash.

Stupid people and guns shouldn’t mix. The guy who tried to whack his dog and shot him self was stupid. The lady who tried to shoot a mouse and shot herself and someone else equally stupid. I’ve taken several gun safety classes and NOT one ever said to use a loaded gun as a club. In fact, they said NOT to do it. However, the Army did say it was OK to hit ENEMY PEOPLE with your gun (weapon) but only if you were out of bullets.

My grandparents kept chickens for meat and for eggs. I helped feed them sometimes. They had this really mean psychotic rooster that would attack anyone who got too close. He put a big freaking gash in my leg one day. I’m not going to lie. I was happy to eat him. He tasted good. But he wasn’t trapped in a tiny cage with his beak cut off starving until his feathers fall out then force fed until he gets “processed”. If he had been just slightly faster than a 60 year old farm woman, he probably would have lived a lot longer. Then again, he was at least 5 years old which I guess is old for a chicken.

Maybe the bull will win next year or at least put a gash in someone’s leg before the end.

Mmmm mean old rooster salad. Tasty.

(Dang! Now I want some McNuggets.)

Posted by christophor | Report as abusive

The 23-year-old young man died. Click on my RLM below to go to the ADA (Ohio) newspaper article regarding the accident and the man’s obituary. Or cut and paste the link below into your browser.

http://www.adaherald.com/main.asp?Sectio nID=2&SubSectionID=5&ArticleID=101119

Bob, your dogs are very cute as are your cats. It is very nice that you rescued them. When you come visit, if you want to stay in our cottage, they will be most welcome to come with you.

Posted by Diane | Report as abusive

The hunter story is sad. In northern NH there are still many families that rely on venison to feed their families. It is not for sport or a trophy mount. The huge number of deer that slowly starve to death because of the lack of food during the long winters and the suffering they endure should be enough for PETA to take into consideration what they think is funny. Taking a deer as a way of thinning the deer population is not as cruel as one weak and starving trying to get away from a coyote pack. That man will no longer be able to provide nutritious, chemical free food for his children – what is so funny??

Posted by Tricia | Report as abusive

When I was teenager, I went hunting and accidently shot my half-brother, who died. In the hospital, I asked the doctor if there was anything I could have done to save him. The doctor said, “well, if you hadn’t skinned him out and gutted him first, he might have had a chance!”

So, Shawn, want to go hunting this weekend?

Posted by RLM | Report as abusive

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

Pam A. is a reminder that even people can be stunned by headlights when they are big enough.

Posted by JD | Report as abusive

I agree with what PETA is trying to do and their attempts to make us all aware that animals cannot defend and take care of themselves.. I cannot understand how anyone can call hunting a sport since the guns used and the methods empolyed to bring the animals closer to the hunter do not give the animals even half a chance .So for all those great white hunter morons, I for one am happy to hear that every once in a while what goes around comes around!!!!!

Posted by kpatti | Report as abusive

Growing up I wasn’t always kind to animals. I used to kill ants by the hundreds just for fun, smack fish off rocks, light mice on fire, and broke broomsticks over a cat’s back once. Now, as an adult, I’m completely disgusted by the terrible things I did and became shocked when I realized as much life and intelligence in animals than is present in most humans.

Seriously, we take this planet and its inhabitants for granted, like it’s all here for us to chop up, burn down, and shove into our fat mouths. Not me, not anymore. I’m a vegetarian today and I wouldn’t harm a fly. Now, an irreverent, animal-abusing human on the other hand… Let’s just hope I never catch anybody in the acting of committing the same atrocities that I have. I wouldn’t forgive them any more than I’ve forgiven myself.

Posted by Anonymous | Report as abusive

Wow, Robert, you really got them worked up on this one. I feel cheap with my “deer in the headlights” joke. Pam’s headlights that is. Get it?

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

I only think the third one is karmic. The second one is funny, but at the same time anyone who can shoot mice with a handgun is pretty impressive, although I guess she was only “attempting” it.

Posted by Geoff | Report as abusive

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.
A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains.
When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies; and when the last scene of all comes and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there, by his graveside, will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death. –George Graham Vest

Posted by RLM | Report as abusive