Most important meal of the day?

December 28, 2008

New research has found that teens who skip breakfast as middle school students tend to have sex at an earlier age than those who start the day with a proper meal.

You may want to read that sentence again. I don’t blame you.

Exactly how some scientist even THOUGHT to look into this is way beyond me, and I’m not sure what to make of it.

Is it that these students skip breakfast and have sex instead? Despite what advertisers tell us, is the “Breakfast of Champions” really something other than Wheaties?

One thing is certain from these findings. Parents, if you want GOOD kids, you need to ensure they eat breakfast, no matter what.

And don’t just take their word for it. You sit them in front of the TV and WATCH them stuff that Egg McMuffin into their cake hole! It’s just good parenting!

Avoid the flu. Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: Barack Obama eats breakfast during the presidential campaign. REUTERS/Jason Cohn

Below: Players of Japanese national soccer team buy breakfast at a Paris train station in 2003 file photo.
REUTERS/Xavier Lhospice

The assumption is that kids who eat breakfast are more inclined to delay having sex than those who skip breakfast.

Could it be that the teens who have breakfast have parents who take the time to nurture their kids with both proper meals and attention? Could it be those parents spend more time with their kids? Aren’t kids whose parents are involved in what they are doing less likely to smoke as well as to delay having sex?

When I read between the lines of these reports I see a researcher who suffers from veneer thinking and a journalist who faces a slow news day.

Posted by Richard B. | Report as abusive

Why is there a picture of Barack Obama eating pancakes with the caption? Some one explain to me what that has to do with sex and breakfast.

And just remember people . . . correlation isn’t causation.

Posted by ML | Report as abusive

When I read between the lines of these reports, I see thin white spaces.

I think there’s a simpler reason why kids who eat breakfast wait to have sex. If you’re already stuffed with sausage in the morning, you’re less inclined to want more later.

Posted by E.1 | Report as abusive

Richard B should be commended. Strong correlation does not mean cause and effect! Also, far too many people (researchers, journos and the public) can’t even spot which is cause and which effect. The lack of proper science education is a disgrace – even the BBC admit their reporters are far too often arts graduates who don’t know pi from e!

Posted by Paul M | Report as abusive

It’s a good thing this wasn’t news when I was in junior high, because I would have skipped breakfast very chance I got! Instead, I dutifully ate breakfast and saw only girls from the right side of the tracks. What a shame.

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

I can’t believe all you folks who can’t recognize cause or effect when they whup you upside the haid.

Obviously, Barak’s eating breakfast, a compensatory mechanism for not gettin’ enuf.

Posted by gwmc | Report as abusive

The Obama Picture indicates he’s always had good breakfast,hence delayed having sex;Does that explain having young kids at his age, younger than for most americans at HIs age?

Posted by Andy | Report as abusive

Do you people realize this is Reuters? Even more then that it is Reuters Oddly Enough…did you really come here for news?

Posted by Shawn | Report as abusive

What intrigues me is the large number of Japanese teenagers scrambling for breakfast in the second photo… Oh, wait! I’ve just remembered the recent post about sex being a bore for married Japanese couples… Robert, you are just brilliant, thank you for giving me an education in international culture!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

So, Bob, do you know the difference between sex and scrambled eggs? If not, I’m never eating breakfast at your house!

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Wow, I always enjoy the blog entries but these comments are awesome today! Bravo everyone!

Actually it makes sense. The obese kids who skarf down the flap jacks, eggs, bacon and sweet rolls finish last in the sex appeal dept. They become social outcasts that do everything social later.

Posted by PR | Report as abusive

You know, I started reading these blogs because I was bored but now I read them for everyone’s comments. They’re most often more humorous than the post itself. Thanks, especially, to Dr Doll for the several laughs. Keep posting!

Posted by Lacy | Report as abusive

- Posted by Shawn

serriously im just looking through this for the laughs

Posted by ozi | Report as abusive