Shoot ME! My lips are BLUE!

January 3, 2009

Blog Guy, I hope you’re going to continue offering tips to wannabe photojournalists in the new year. Tell me, now that winter is really here, what makes a great cold-weather shot?

That’s easy. People swimming in icy water.

Really? I’d think that would get kind of boring.

You’d be wrong, judging from the 642,000 icy swimming shots we’ve had just since Christmas. That’s just a very rough estimate, of course, but I can’t look anywhere without seeing them.

It’s the same year after year, in every cold place on Earth. This just in: people swim in cold water for attention! Call Mike Wallace!

I will say, though, that at least the bar has been raised. You can’t just be some clown with frozen snot any longer – you need to be just-married or dressed like Batman or have a huge bubble on your head or something. I guess that’s progress.

Improve your karma. join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: Jan and Gerhard Pyper leave the waters of English Bay after taking part in the 89th annual Polar Bear Swim in Vancouver, British Columbia January 1, 2009. The couple celebrated their wedding the night before with a cold swim in the bay. REUTERS/Andy Clark

Below: Cold swimmer combo shot from various places. REUTERS photos

I’m going to start a New Year’s tradition of sitting around the wood stove drinking hot chocolate just to irritate all these cold water swimming fools.

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

Fools? So you want to call me a fool for doing this every year to raise money to send critically ill children and their families to Camp Sunshine? Well aren’t you classy…

Posted by alyson | Report as abusive

Maximum shrinkage!!

Posted by John | Report as abusive

I agree with Eric, what have the critically ill children ever done for you Alyson?

Posted by Cynic | Report as abusive

Cynic, I would refer you to Chapter 4 of Fyodor Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov, in which Father Zosima discusses the difference between abstract and concrete love, incuding selfless love and care for those who offer nothing in return, not even appreciation. But here, I’m sure, critically ill children and their parents do appreciate Alyson’s deeds, more than most of us can even appreciate.

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

I’m guessing that by some trick of the universe, it’s not possible to just send money AND sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate? Because that would be maximum needless anger shrinkage.

Posted by Mary K | Report as abusive

Do remember that for half the world, it is warm swimming weather since Christmas. Obviously some of these pics involve snow, but some could just be perfectly sensible southern hemispherians..

Posted by Kim | Report as abusive

And the guy with the overabundance of inflated latex on his head is “sensible”, is he? My kinda guy!

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

Alyson, I’m sincerely curious. How does this generate money for Camp Sunshine exactly. I’m serious about this. I have a good friend who volunteers there for a week every Summer. I suppose I could just ask her, but you mentioned it first.Besides, Mary K. seems to raise an interesting question. I have in fact sent money and NOT jumped into Wintery sea water. Was this a faux pas that was politely overlooked?Please advise, and thanks!

Please do not shoot people with blue lips. My lips turn blue when I eat chocolate and I shouldn’t have to dodge bullets when I eat chocolate. Thank you.

Posted by BlueRockShoot | Report as abusive

so nice pictures..but it is madness to bath in cold water during winter time. but i like blue lips.all of them enjoing every momentin this pictures…swimming