Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Is that a rabid flying schnauzer?

January 7, 2009

From London comes a news photo of the start of an atheist bus campaign. I mean, a bus can’t BE an atheist, but they have signs saying, “THERE’S PROBABLY NO GOD…”

Uh-huh. Notice the word “probably.” Meanwhile, London is a huge city with double-decker buses.

This is a city of mean seasons. When London’s Sudden Lightning Season starts, do YOU want to be on the upper level of a God-denying bus?

And there’s Falling Anvil season, Buzz-Saw Decapitation Season, Flying Rabid Schnauzer Season…

Are you really feeling THAT lucky? As for me, I think I’ll “probably” just take another bus.

Video report

Improve your luck! join the Oddly Enough blog network

Atheist Bus Campaign creator Ariane Sherine poses in front of a bus bearing an atheist advertisement, at the launch of the campaign in London, January 6, 2008. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

Comments

Right, right. God will strike you down by lightning for riding on a bus. Wasn’t that Zeus?

I want one of those shirts but then again I have a “Make 7 – - Up Yours” shirt.

Posted by JL | Report as abusive

just someone else trying to tell us what to think and do!

Posted by mark | Report as abusive

Well, yes Mark, but I and most of the people I know have a real fear of flying rabid schnauzers….

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

hmmm… doesn’t the word “probably” make it an agnostic bus rather than an atheist bus?

Posted by DC | Report as abusive

Hmmmmm. A very good point, DC, but I don’t think agnostics believe there probably is no God – they just say they don’t know. But it would be interesting if the agnostics came up with their owns bus campaign, too.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

whats the motivation behind it?
I can only guess but what do you think?
is it from Atheists who think you worry too much and cant enjoy life if you think there probably is a god?

Posted by mark | Report as abusive

The word “Probably” simply reflects the fact that a real scientist knows that the non-existence of anything can never be proven absolutely. You just have to look at the evidence for one side against the other (in this case, there is far more objective evidence supporting the case against the existence of God (and other things supernatural) than there is supporting the case for his existence).

Posted by Adam Mitchell | Report as abusive

who says that believing in God makes life not enjoyable? Religion and spirituality give some people more joy than anything else.

Posted by jforeman | Report as abusive

I, for one, enjoy believing in God. I’m able to enjoy life a little more because when I go through a rough patch, I just put my faith in him, and I can relax knowing he’s got it under control. Who wouldn’t want that?

Posted by AC | Report as abusive

Ow… My brain hurts…

(psst… That means I’m Agnostic…)

There probably is no bus: step in front of it.

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

I, for one, enjoy believing in fairies. I’m able to enjoy life a little more because when I go through a rough patch, I just put my faith in them, and I can relax knowing they’ve got it under control. Who wouldn’t want that?

Posted by Alan | Report as abusive

I, for one, enjoy believing in the FSM. I’m able to enjoy life a little more because when I go through a rough patch, I just put my faith in spaghetti, and I can relax knowing they’ve got it under control. Who wouldn’t want meat sauce?

Posted by Mr White | Report as abusive

God help us if people actually think for themselves…

Posted by Noah | Report as abusive

if you people only knew

Posted by sara | Report as abusive

I bet manatee would taste really good if it were cooked right. – There are some things that are just so obvious that they don’t need stated.

Posted by Amy | Report as abusive

I frankly don’t care if people believe in God, nothing, or melted cheese. I know what’s best for me. And what I resent is anyone else who seems to think s/he knows what’s best for me, whether that person is an atheist, an agnostic, a priest, a minister, or a witch doctor.

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

People who believe in God must just be stupid! What were you doing in science class? What have you been telling your kids about dinosaurs, go on make something up.

Posted by susan paquette | Report as abusive

You are all obviously missing the point.

It s a cute girl running the show.

She could be screaming “Oh Cthulhu, oh Cthulhu, oh Cthulhu” for all I care. All the more so if I was the one causing the screaming.

Doesn’t anyone have their heads in the gutter anymore?

Posted by Cruel, cruel world | Report as abusive

So, speaking of agnostics…

What did the agnostic insomniac dyslexic guy do?

…..
…….
…..

Stayed up all night wondering if there really is a DOG!

Posted by Mamalu | Report as abusive

Idk if “probably” is good enough odds for me. Your really really screwed if your wrong! Why not better safe than sorry?

Posted by shane | Report as abusive

Technically, this is actually an ‘agnostic’ campaign, rather than atheist. Agnostics acknowledge the possibility of God, so saying there’s PROBABLY no God acknowledges that there is the possibility of God. She should have just said, ‘There is no God’. Conversely, that would infer that there is no Devil either, which could seriously hamper enjoying life. I think I would have spent the advertising money buying a round of beer.

Posted by Paula | Report as abusive

According to the Bible, denying the existance of the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin that ensures your everlasting damnation in Hell.

So… since I decided at a very early age that I did not believe in the existence of God, Jesus (at least as the son of any deity) or the Holy Spirit (these names I capitalize for the sake of those believers out there who are picky about this sort of thing), apparently I have no chance at redemption.

So how do I go about getting one of those T-shirts? What do I have to lose?

Posted by Sean | Report as abusive

If you believe only to be safe, that’s 1.) cheating (don’t you think your God will know?); and 2.) cowardly. I’d rather not waste time living a lie and fearing a no-show deity. I’ll live a good life without the need of divine judgement.

Posted by Sharon | Report as abusive

Hmm, perhaps a better phrase would be “there’s no supporting evidence for the existence of a god”