I’ll have more of those chewy round things!

February 11, 2009

Blog Guy, I was recently in Bolivia, at a little restaurant on the outskirts of La Paz, and I had a WONDERFUL soup called “caldo de cardan.” ! really felt great afterwards and it even cured my hangover!

Say no more. Brown stuff in white gravy?

That’s it! What’s that yum-yum stuff in it?

Boiled bull’s penis and testicles. You find it in restaurants located near slaughterhouses. Use Yahoo Yellow Pages to find the nearest shop where you can buy the ingredients.

Are you kidding me! Aggghhh! How can I keep that from ever happening again?

Just order a handy copy of “Bob’s List of Words to Avoid on a Menu.” It’s in 74 languages, including English: Brussels sprouts, haggis, poutine, rat meat, rutabega, scorpion, testicles, etc.

Odd meats slideshow

Feel the love! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: A waiter at a restaurant selling the popular dish “caldo de cardan”, made from boiled bull’s penis and testicles, February 2, 2009. It is considered an energy booster and sought after by people suffering from anemia, hangovers and sexual impotency.

Below: A cook pours broth on a slab of bull’s testicles.

REUTERS photos by David Mercado

Your nuts! This is a cock and bull story if I ever read one.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Here in Iowa, a lot of us eat testicles from cattle, sheep, hogs, and turkeys and they are yummy. Not the penis though. That would be redickulous.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

Uh, Tim…I don’t know what kind of turkeys you have in Ohio, but ours don’t have testicles…

Posted by Erin | Report as abusive

Poutine is fantastic…an entire nation of Canadians can’t be wrong about that.

Posted by JMJ | Report as abusive

having eaten a few unusual foods I recently ate a guinea pig in Ecuador, it was a little greasy with fatty skin but not unpleasant

Posted by fatbastard | Report as abusive

OMG! I consider myself a dedicated carnivore. This makes me want to run and join PETA, however.

For the love of God, just make the next post a photo of some silly model wearing tinfoil or something, just to get past this. Aaaargh….

Sure they do Erin, you just have to know where to look. It’s not something that ends up in that bag of giblets that come with Thanksgiving turkeys (I hope anyway)… But it would be very difficult to make baby turkeys without them

Posted by Tina | Report as abusive

Coq au vin anyone?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Reminds me of when I visited Spain’s bullfights. The serve up the defeated animals testicles after the fight. My serving of testicles was very small. Upon inquiring the waiter as to why he replied; ” Senor, today the bull won”.

Posted by rhotor spelashe | Report as abusive

[...] foodies, I’ve covered bull’s penis and testicles in Bolivia, the blood soup bistro in Vietnam, South Korean shrimp cracker snacks, and that little [...]