I have you in my sights, wabbit!

February 13, 2009

Sometimes it seems to take real people way too long to catch up with Looney Tunes.

Below is a photo of some Israeli guy showing off a “corner shotgun,” which apparently lets you shoot the enemy around corners, without exposing yourself.

My sophisticated readers will remember this concept was first introduced in 1949, when Daffy Duck twisted Porky Pig’s shotgun barrel and Porky blew his own head off. I laugh just thinking about it.

Since then, elaborate corner gun variations have been used by Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam and others.

If there is any justice in the world, the Israelis should be calling this the Daffy Gun. Plus, if the thing doesn’t say “BLAM!” and play the Looney Tunes theme song when you hit something with it, then I’m sure I don’t know what this world is coming to.

Stop snoring! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: Elmer Fudd and Foghorn Leghorn, from Looney Tunes

Below: Israeli official shows a corner shotgun to Indian soldiers at Yelahanka air force station on the outskirts of Bangalore, India, February 12, 2009. REUTERS/Indian Defence Ministry/ Handout

I do remember the twisted barrel, and yes it makes me laugh just thinking about it. However, I resent being called sophisticated. I assume you are saying this in jest.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

I guess. I keep meaning to look up that word.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

As long as it isn’t manufactured by “Acme”, we can assume the barrel has a 45 degree bend. The “Acme” version is adapted with a U shaped barrel. The shooter (usually Wiley Coyote) only needs 1 shell.

Posted by Mick | Report as abusive

Actually the Germans had an operational around the corner shooting machine gun in WW II. There is one on display at the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving grounds in Maryland.

Posted by Calvin Lane | Report as abusive

The Germans had it BEFORE Daffy? No way!!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Well, the German version was just about as bad as the Acme version.

It was made to ‘scour’ the outside of the German tanks. You know. Clean off that nasty accumulation of human hangers on…

After about 300 rounds, the rifle would unfortunately, ummmm…break apart. And we all know what broken weapons can do. Right?

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Interesting, Tim. I had presumed the German corner gun was initially made to shoot submarine captains as they looked through the periscope.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Robert,

Never thought of that.

Verrrrrrry interesting!

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Hmm, the depicted corner-shooter will only satisfy 50% of anyone’s corner-shooting requirements. And before some idiot mentions operating this machinery upside-down, I’ll nip that one right in the bud, for that way lies madness.

Would you operate a blender upside-down, you idiot? Huh?

Point proven.