Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

You call it fashion, I call it flashin’

March 30, 2009

A few days ago I did a very popular post on what appeared to be a fashion trend, a dress that leaves one breast exposed, so the woman has to cover it with her hand. I saw some flaws in the idea, and there was plenty of reader discussion about it.

Good news! The designer of The Dress, Kimya Glasgow, has now assured me she did not intend for the creation to be worn in such a revealing manner.

“What I was looking for was nonchalant elegance, and not vulgarity,” Kimya told me. Of course that separates her from most of my blog readers, but we can still be friends.

The problem was, an undergarment that was meant to go with it somehow didn’t make it to the show, so they had to go with what they had on hand, so to speak.

I’m guessing the model was probably relieved that she wasn’t scheduled to wear an outfit where only the BELT arrived at the fashion show.

I felt I had to ask Kimya whether SHE would have worn this dress in public. Yes, she said, but only with a blouse.

So to you women who took my advice and followed this trend, and I think there were thousands of you, you can stop now.

Run wild! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

A model displays a creation designed by Kimya Glasgow on the first day of Miami Fashion Week in Florida March 19, 2009. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Comments

Are you available to appear at my hearing next month to reassure the judge that this was a mistake?

Posted by Rose | Report as abusive

Only if you’re not Janet Jackson.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I love it, set the women free!

But Mr Bob?

Do they HAVE to stop?

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

i don’t see anything vulgar in this at all. vulgarity is in the eye and mind of the beholder. this woman is gorgeousness personified, yes that includes her breasts.

Posted by arctaberry | Report as abusive

Set the boobs free!

Posted by d00d | Report as abusive

Now that’s my kind of fashion

Posted by MikeJones | Report as abusive

We totally need higher quality pics :o

Awwwww the poor girl just put her top on backwards…….

Posted by Terry | Report as abusive

i think its a great move! women in ancient days often wore garments with one or both breasts exposed. nowadays we got all prudish with the church telling us how to act.

free the ta-tas!

Posted by Mu5h | Report as abusive

I’d toss her some keys.

Posted by Phil | Report as abusive

Honey, you’ve put it on backwards.

Posted by LL | Report as abusive

Oh, o-kay, it was supposed to have an undergarment. (haha)

Posted by some guy who was born yesterday | Report as abusive

No offence, but to comment on fashion you should probably understand a little bit about the debut at a fashion show vs. a popular trend. Obviously, not many women would (or should!) take this design as a literal translation of what the new trend will be. Instead, try to understand what the piece is saying and how that can be conveyed in a more everyday way. For example, perhaps there will be an oncoming trend of one way revealing cleavage…

Posted by Teri M | Report as abusive

Teri, we understand all that about fashion shows, inspiration and all that. Please note that the men posting above DO NOT WANT IT TONED DOWN! Cleavage? They want the big bamboo! Well, actually, both of them. Why tamper with genius?

Posted by Dr. Doll | Report as abusive

It will never end: Designers attempting to “mainstream” the “Topless Look” for women. I guess they can hold onto that dream.

Gail, if we stop dreaming, we stop living…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I hope this doesn’t steal the thunder from my new line of one-legged pants.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Help me out here, Bill. Are these pants that expose one leg, or are they just pants for one-legged people?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I think I need to stay abreast of fashion trends.
;)

Mr. Basler, These are pants which expose one leg. Pants for a one-legged man is a market we have not even considered!

We are currently working up a prototype of the suspenders for our garments.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

We are not that far with displaying breasts.

thanks from tony

We all have different perceptions and we have different styles on how we can showcase our own fashion. :)