Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I can poop right in the back seat?

April 13, 2009

I have to chuckle at the Honda folks, who have unveiled a “dog-friendly” SUV.

Honda hasn’t said how much the dog features will cost, but they’ve got a cushioned dog bed, a built-in water bowl, a bone design inside and a paw logo.

I read this story to my own mutts, Shelby and Eddie, and they’re still laughing.

My pets say if you really want car-happy dogs, here’s what you need:

• Slits in the leather upholstery; easier to take hold and start chewing.
  • Lose the roof, so they can feel the breeze and let their tongues flop freely.
  • Squeakers embedded in every seat.
  • An interior you can hose down, much like our own living room.
  • A dashboard push-button cheese dispenser you can operate with a paw.

That’s what THEY call dog-friendly! And if the Obamas are smart, they’re already personalizing the  presidential limo for their new dog Bo.

See the world! Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Above: Shelby and Eddie, designing a truly dog-friendly car.

Below: Heather Cammisa with the Humane Society and a dog named Sammy demonstrate dog- friendly features. REUTERS /Lucas Jackson

Comments

Ginger would want a DVD player showing cats and mailmen so she could bark continuously.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

Mr Bob,

Windows that are constantly rolled down and a moon roof to howl at. Also, extra durable paint on the door frames, so Barky can hang out (of the windows) with the pack and not injure the resale value.

Posted by tim....the other other tim | Report as abusive

They might also want a portrait of themselves included…www.goblestudios.com…dogs can be vain too!

The cheese dispenser is an absolute MUST.. I do agree. Don’t forget the automatic butt scratcher option though.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Thanks, K. The ABS option is scheduled for model year 2011…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Mr Bob,

ABS? Priceless!

How about an automatic serving tray, where the Doggy Bag from that pricey restaurant can be placed, then robotically offered to that dog of reknown taste?

And hey, don’t be cheap! All of the SUVs that are made dog friendly should also have a treadmill, to keep that dog in shape! Along with a DVD, playing a movie of a cat, just out of reach, enjoying itself right in front of the treadmill.

And lastly, a ‘Cone of Silence,’ a la ‘Get Smart,’ for those over loud and pesky barkers!

The ‘C o’S’ should have a playback mode, to make the canine enjoy its own vocalisations!

And maybe a super loud stereo, so that the companion human can enjoy the barking, also, even more! Place the speakers, instead, into a couple of headsets, so only the dog and the person can enjoy the constant BARKING, all to themselves.

Not that I have anything to bitch about. Nope. Not me!

Not much, anyway.

How about making the doggies wear seatbelts? Would that be too much to ask?

I mean, talk about cell phones or stereos being a cause for accidents! Like Fifi can’t be to blame for some of these ‘whoopsies?’

Yes. I have a dog. Her name is Bumper. She is a Shar Pei.

My dog hates to get into the car, because it seems to her, everytime she gets into a car, we go to the vet and she has to have needles poked into her.

Untrue, because my dog is my companion, and we go fishing and hunting and people sniffing all of the time.

And also, Bumper is not a hunting dog. She just sits there by me and enjoys being out in the field and tasting what nuggets of flesh fall her way while I am cleaning the animal I just shot.

I mentioned that she was a companion. Not a hunter. Sad to say, her looks could kill the mightiest of the hunted.

But it is hard to get her into the car. Or the truck. I have to get our feral cat trapped into a Havahart trap and bait Bumper into the vehicle.

Bumper, never, ever, has barked. I don’t know why. I guess some of us are blessed, no?

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

A cat can be as much a companion as a dog, and I’m mourning the loss of a friend of 20 years.

ANGEL