Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Change at the White House, baby!

May 4, 2009

Blog Guy, we’re coming to Washington, DC in July with our small baby. Will there be places were we can change her diapers?

Sure. Just take her over to the White House. Go to the historic Cross Hall near the East Room, and look for this elegant antique bench in these photos. If there’s no bothersome president strolling by, you can try using that as a changing table.

See, that surprises me. It seems like it would be rude to change diapers at the White House.

It depends on how spunky you are. Look at this woman who was there a couple of days ago for a ceremony. She was doing the diaper change when a uniformed usher escorted her to a more suitable place.

More suitable place? Where would that have been?

Nobody knows. I don’t think she was ever seen again.

Lose weight easily. Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Twick or Tweat? Follow this blog at rbasler

Above: President Barack Obama walks through the Cross Hall at the White House to a news conference marking his 100th day in office, April 29, 2009. REUTERS/Jim Young

German Chancellor Angela Merkel speaks with President George W Bush as they walk through the Cross Hall in 2006 file photo. REUTERS/ Jason Reed

Below: Military usher suggests a better location than the Cross Hall to change a baby’s diaper before an event in the East Room, May 1, 2009. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Comments

Absolutely vile behavior. The entitlement of parents who think they can do whatever they like, wherever they’d like. I couldn’t agree more with Whereareyourmanners, who speaks from the experience of raising children and yes, dealing with the inconveniences of nasty public facilities but making do very nicely, because it’s what’s ultimately best for her kids, her health, and the interests of the public. Does it even appear that this clueless woman has something underneath the baby to protect the furniture? And no, clearly she wasn’t going to wash her hands afterward. And the diaper would be disposed of. . .where, precisely?Yeah, bathrooms can be nasty. But I persevere when I need to change a tampon. I don’t just whip it out in the middle of the White House because I can.

Posted by Abby | Report as abusive

Umm….so the nation is closing schools and bathing in hand sanitizer over a flu bug, but it’s all right to risk contaminating public areas with excrement?

Posted by Cynthia | Report as abusive

Taking an extra minute to find the bathroom isn’t going to kill anybody. They have bathrooms for a reason people! Picking an antique couch in the White House, good lord! Americans (and I speak as one) are losing all common sense. Think about WHY we have bathrooms. Something does get left behind and I don’t want to sit on it! Or eat on it, do you know how many moms are ok changing babies on tables where I eat as in restaurants?? And as someone else said, just because your a mom, the world is not your oyster.

Posted by sam | Report as abusive

Just because you’re a mom, the world is not your oyster…Well-said. I think we’ve got the makings of a beautiful Mother’s Day card here!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Diaper changing ANYWHERE but the bathroom is wrong, inappropriate, inconsiderate, and rude. If mothers can’t behave with the proper decorum in public, then they should either stay home, or at least leave their kids at home. What is an infant or toddler going to glean from a visit to the White House, anyway? She probably thinks it’s OK to change her kid on the table of a restaurant, you know, because bathrooms are so “filthy” – but to h3ll with the next person who will sit at said table to eat their food.

Posted by KFLL | Report as abusive

I was at a restaurant on Sunday waiting for food, and we asked the owner/manager for the key to the bathroom. I wanted to change my son’s diaper, but she told me they had no changing table, and that the bathroom was too filthy for that. Then, she actually told me to change the baby on the table, and that it was “ok.” Ummmm….. NO!! Being the outspoken person I am, I told her how disgusting it was that she suggested changing my son where other people eat, and that I would do no such thing. We left and walked two blocks to get to the stadium, where I was able to change him in the restroom there. Yep…. my little guy was all too happy to wait the few minutes it took to do the security check and find the bathroom, and I didn’t contaminate a restaurant in the meantime.Hint: As far as changing pads go, I made a nice one with two peices of cute fabric and just sewed them together. (Even one peice, or a towel even) would get the job done, but I wash mine regularly, and wanted durability.) It’s large enough to cover the standard size table, so that his hands aren’t able to wander and find surprises…)This way, it doesn’t matter what shape the surface of the table is in- he is ALWAYS protected and comfortable)

Posted by Whereareyourmanners? | Report as abusive

I think its disgusting and the people supporting her are rude and self centered, as is she. Obviously there are appropriate facilities for her and her child’s needs in the White House. Respect the place for what it is and what it represents. Don’t “diss” other visitors to the White House because you cannot see beyond your own nose. The county has literally gone to the toilet because of the self centered entitlement minded people like this woman and the people who support her. If you cannot properly take care of your issue (child) then don’t have them.

Posted by Geanie | Report as abusive

I know this woman and the usher actually told her to change the diaper there because the only available bathroom was attached to a room the president was in. When the usher saw the cameras snapping she thought better of her idea. A lesson in judging someone without knowing the context – and in how misleading pictures can be.

Posted by zed | Report as abusive

It makes no difference IF someone TOLD her to just go ahead and change the baby on this antiue bench in the middle of a hall way in the White House, or not… the simple fact is she should have had alot more common sense, and decency, to have told the person NO, that it wasn’t the place to do something like that – especially given the fact that so many things could go wrong during a change — destroy the bench then what?? Ooops, sorry but it wasn’t my fault, someone told me to change the baby here?? Yeah right… common sense – you are, after all, in the White House!!!!!!! Show just a little bit of respect for your surroundings!!

Posted by JWJ | Report as abusive

This is great!This is what democracy is all about.That bench is property of the American people. The baby and the mom both look like people to me. Somebody needs to take care of the American People’s business (number 1 and number 2). :) How come the politicians in DC can spread all the poop they want, but the babies they kiss when they need votes have to take it somewhere else?Why is this news again?

Posted by Christophor | Report as abusive

there is clearly a changing pad under that baby.

Posted by Brian | Report as abusive